Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should I carry a spare tire?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Should I carry a spare tire?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Terry 25

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Sam service provider charged me $127 to mount a 14" tire that I purchased from them for $130. Wonder what they would charge for a big tire.

2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you carry a spare tire you have the type you want. If you don't you get what is available, if the right size is available.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have RV'd solo for almost 30 years and almost 200K miles. Always carried a spare. Needed it once, last year, when a road hazard destroyed a new tire somewhere in Eastern Oregon. I had a cell signal and was on pavement for the first time in days. Called AAA, they contacted a local guy. He came and did the job and I was underway again within an hour. That is service!

As I have aged, I have become disabled and no way can I change the tire myself. My part of the job is to have a spare in good condition, to have good insurance and roadside assistance coverage, and to carry a means of summoning appropriate help (both cell phone and Garmin InReach). A prepared traveler is a happier traveler!

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always carrier a spare.
Also I rebuilt the spare tire carrier so it's easier to get it down and put it back up.
One thing more that I've done is put a remote pump on my hydraulic jack, so I do not have to lay under the mh while jacking it up.

Dusty

AlwaysDreaming

South Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone:
The majority of posters recommend to carry a "spare".

I believe that a TPMS is essential monitoring sensor and will protect you from catastrophic failure. Also a portable inflation compressor is a must.

To clarify, I would never try to change a tire on a Class A Motorhome. I am trying to avoid a delay and some expense by carrying a spare tire. I have roadside assistance.

I don't believe a rim is necessary to carry. The rubber tire is most important.

The $1300 solution is nice, but I think I am going carry just the tire instead. My plan is to bag the tire and mount it on top of the rear 4"x4" Bumper. The bumper will carry the tire weight and I will secure to the back wall.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauldub wrote:

Another think to consider is whether or not you'll have cellular service when you need a tire changed. It's an easier decision with a Class C and much lighter tires.

Yep. Had a wheel crack on the inside of the rim last year up in the Kiamichi mtns. of Ok & NO cell service. Glad I had a spare for the 5er . I wouldn't have an rv without a spare unless it was one of those with wheels I couldn't change & at 71 those wheel sizes I can change are getting smaller everyday.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Should I carry a spare tire?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.