Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should I carry a spare tire?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Should I carry a spare tire?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
AlwaysDreaming

South Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scene: On our first cross country tour with our 28 Ft. Class A Gas Motorhome, 50 miles outside Winslow, AZ on a hot Desert afternoon. All of a sudden, the TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) sounds off, rapid loss of pressure in the passenger rear inside tire. I immediately pull off and call for Emergency Roadside assistance. They ask for the tire size, Goodyear G670 RV 245/70R19.5. They said $600 and they have to order it, could be a week or two to get the tire.

So that’s my nightmare. I want to carry spare tire/wheel or just the tire.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Is it a common occurrence?
Are most of the flat tires a tread puncture that can be plugged and be run on for 500 miles?
Can most roadside service plug the tire.

I priced a spare tire system: Tire: $400; Wheel: $200; Roadmaster 195225 Spare Tire Carrier for Motorhomes $595; Hi/Lo Hitch $95; Lug Nuts, 1 Locking.
Grand Total: $1300.

Does anyone have a cheaper solution?

Does anyone carry just a tire? How do you carry it on the Motorhome?

Thanks, Al

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having been in a somewhat similar situation, I would at least carry the tire if you have the space to put it. Road service can always mount it for you. I got taken really bad for a tire, like almost 2 times the price, when I had a problem. Won't be without one again.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roadside assistance will put your tire on your rim but it might cost you a couple bucks.
I do not carry a spare, 22.5 tires are big and heavy.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you change it yourself? OK since you are calling service anyway just have them bring a tire and pop it on the existing wheel.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never go more than 10 miles from home without a spare tire for the vehicle and any trailer. Back a couple of decades ago, I was driving from Memphis to Atlanta to deposit a daughter at Georgia Tech, with my 6' utility trailer loaded down. Before leaving Memphis, I went to a local tire store and bought a used rim and tire for a trailer spare. I didn't have to use it, but it is still attached to the front of the trailer. (But with another tire, as I feel 20 years old is too old for a spare.)

As long as you have it, roadside assistance can mount it and get you back on the road.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another think to consider is whether or not you'll have cellular service when you need a tire changed. It's an easier decision with a Class C and much lighter tires.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check craigslist to see in you can assemble the package cheaper. Might be able to at least get a tire and/or rim cheaper

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I carry a spare tire, on a wheel, mounted and inflated, and I also carry the USA made jack/wrench/breaker bar to replace it in an emergency. My 2019 rig did not come with a space, jack or wrench. It was expensive to add and it sucked to spend the money on that. In my opinion it was required so there was no debate. I'm maybe $1k into an OEM Ford wheel, a tire to match the others, a USA valve stem, mount/blanace, a bottle jack, a 36" breaker bar, and a USA made 6 pt socket. I am 16".

In a real emergency I feel like I could change a tire and get us back on the road. If it weren't a real eemergency or I was in cell phone range, I would call a service truck and let them wrestle the tire in. But in a punch I feel like I could do it, and I sleep better because of that. Either way, no one is going to tell me they are out of stock because I have it.

It is $1300, suck it up and do it. What did your rig cost? Just do it. That is my opinion.

Patrick

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

Roadside assistance will put your tire on your rim but it might cost you a couple bucks.
I do not carry a spare, 22.5 tires are big and heavy.

I hear your strain!

1100x 22.5 ten of them

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PatJ wrote:

Personally I carry a spare tire, on a wheel, mounted and inflated, and I also carry the USA made jack/wrench/breaker bar to replace it in an emergency. My 2019 rig did not come with a space, jack or wrench. It was expensive to add and it sucked to spend the money on that. In my opinion it was required so there was no debate. I'm maybe $1k into an OEM Ford wheel, a tire to match the others, a USA valve stem, mount/blanace, a bottle jack, a 36" breaker bar, and a USA made 6 pt socket. I am 16".

In a real emergency I feel like I could change a tire and get us back on the road. If it weren't a real eemergency or I was in cell phone range, I would call a service truck and let them wrestle the tire in. But in a punch I feel like I could do it, and I sleep better because of that. Either way, no one is going to tell me they are out of stock because I have it.

It is $1300, suck it up and do it. What did your rig cost? Just do it. That is my opinion.

This is what I have been doing for fifty years. I do not want to be at the mercy of anyone else unless I absolutely have to. With today's modern technology, I do not know why anyone would pay an annual fee to an ERS just for the opportunity to argue with a middle man.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Should I carry a spare tire?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.