Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should I carry a spare tire?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Should I carry a spare tire?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 02:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always carried a spare, and it's been put to use three times when time was a premium for us. Having to wait even 24 hours to get a tire locally would have been catastrophic for us on each of those trips, but turned into 2-4 hour inconveniences waiting for the tow service to come out and use the right tools to swap things out.

Our Class C has a carrier under the rear frame for the spare. It isn't easy to wrestle, but the tire service folks have never had trouble with it. I carry the jack and breaker bar, but really don't want to risk my coach if I can make a phone call and get the service our insurance provider offers as part of their RV package.

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

find away to carry a spare,if not you,ll pay .had a class C one time had a vinyl bag made and carried it on the roof secured down.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry 1 drive, 1 steer, and 2 trailer tires all mounted. Keep them in the trailer while traveling

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

Having been in a somewhat similar situation, I would at least carry the tire if you have the space to put it. Road service can always mount it for you. I got taken really bad for a tire, like almost 2 times the price, when I had a problem. Won't be without one again.

Same thing happened to us. The tire was salvageable, but the tech sent to us insisted it was shot and wanted to take it with him. We kept it and had it repaired the next morning. He made us wait 6 hours on the side of the road and then brought a used tire with a sidewall patch and charged us almost $400 for it. He put it on and like I said, we drove 22 miles to a tire shop we had called and they fixed us up the next morning. Since then we carry an unmounted spare. It determined what new toad we got a few years ago because we keep the tire in the back end of the toad, a Flex . It just fits. . . 39", that 22.5" tire.

Have only needed one that one time in 15 years of fulltiming, but we wouldn't be without it.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, always have a spare. A tire at least.
In today's world the tire retailers only stock the fastest movers, and RV tires are not in that group. If I have a problem I want a quality matching tire w/o waiting a day or 3 for it.
The other thing is check the spare's pressure on a regular basis if it's already on a wheel. It doesn't do you any good if it's almost flat when you pull it out. Don't forget to check the one on the truck also and if you replace the truck tires put the best one that comes off on the spare wheel. You don't need the original spare under there 10 or 15 years later. We don't all run brand new trucks.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the type of person who cannot imagine not having a spare. Although it has been loooooong time since I used one, other than the trip home with my new to me Toyota.

Cheaper, I would start with the tire and rim, can be picked up used, depending on size may be the same size big trucks use, so there are truck recycling yards and rv recycling yards. Google how to read a tire date code and don't buy a 5 year old tire!

I am sure there are cheaper mounting systems, would have to look into that. I just moved the spare off my rear to underneath, cost me about $25 in material. Admittedly a much lighter tire and rim.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spare Tire: Don't leave home without it. JMO

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always carried one in my 40ft DP but my current 36ft DP don't have any room for it. Its sitting in my garage right now while I decide what to do with it. Won't fit in the Smart Car toad. By the way the new Good Year tire and the used 22.5 rim cost me around $350.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know the answer to this question.
In about 40% of the West there is no roadside assistance.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With Motorhomes, VERY FEW rv'ers have the tools and the Strength to replace a bad tire. Too HEAVY and too hard to break the Lug Nuts loose. SAME reason you do NOT purchase a Tire AND Wheel and put in your storage. What you do, is purchase a SPARE RUBBER tire and install in the storage. It is a LOT easier and lighter to get in and out. Since you will be having to use Road Side service, THEY will remove the bad Tire/wheel and then can MOUNT your spare rubber on the wheel and get you going. The biggest headache for an RV'er is to have a destroyed Tire and they have to order a new rubber to get you going. Having the rubber on the RV saves time and money. Once it is done then purchase another Rubber Tire at your earliest convienance. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Should I carry a spare tire?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.