Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Indiana to Mt. Rushmore
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Indiana to Mt. Rushmore

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking of changing our summer plans this year, and we may go west..

If we do, I would more than likely stop in Elkhart for a day or 2 to get 2 things taken care of at Morryde... I am figuring about 15 hours from Elkhart, is there anything interesting between the 2 that we could spend a day or 1/2 day visiting?

We want to break up the ride a bit...

We will start in Eastern PA... hit Cleveland for a day or 2 while I visit one of our office there.. then hit Elkhart after that...

also.. Is it better to avoid Chicago and head West on 80 to 380 rather than hopping on 90? That is an area I have never been on, but ASSUMING it is like any other BIG city...

Ideas?

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Elkhart you want to take I 80. Then I 39 N to I 90. If you go I 90 you go right through Chicago.
Lots to do around MT Rushmore, Black Hills, Don't miss Custer State Park. Wall drug for the kitch.

Bruce Kyles

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to offer an alternative route to the black hills. Go west on I-80 to Iowa City then north on 380 to Waterloo. Then take hiway 20 all across Iowa and Nebraska. It is 4 lane in Iowa and 2 lane in Nebraska. The Nebraska road is straight; level and pretty wide. Go west to Chadron then go north to the Black Hills. We have done this 3 times and much nicer road than the interstate. This way you see the sand hill area of Nebraska. Lots of City camping along 20 in most of the small towns. See the Black hills (lots of camping on the south end). Then if you want to just go home take 90 across SD, MN. We've done the Black hills numerous times in the last 40 years as used to live in N. Ill. Whatever you do, don't miss Crazy Horse in the hills.

2003 Dutchstar (reskinned/paint 2009)
2016 Ford F150

JCK

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On I 80 as you enter Iowa stop at the biggest truck stop in the USA . Three floors to view . On the grounds there’s a antique truck museum and well worth stoping for. Free entry only donation if you show desire

2019 GMC Denali 2500
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL

ADAD437

Jeffersonville,Ind., webster,fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on i-90 you have the corn palace at mitchell,sd, wall drug, the bad lands, the minute man missle site and the black hills.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit
">

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Indiana to Mt. Rushmore
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.