Trailer Life EV Article

Interesting article on EV's as a tow vehicle
60 REPLIES 60

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wilber1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:

Yah. Definetly not their forte. But I suspect most large sedans would be similar. They actually have no tow rating. Zero. I think they are the only ones with no tow rating. The Y and X both have tow ratings and the 3 has a rating in Europe. 1000 kg I think. Same as the Y. I think the X is rated for 4000 pounds. Not sure.

Towing certainly reduces mileage on any vehicle but the simple fact Is, gas tanks contain far more energy than batteries with much less eight and volume, and can be refilled in a very short time. A car getting 30 MPG carrying 75 lbs of gas can go as far as a Model S with its 1200 lb battery.

Electric motors are superior for heavy duty use, itโ€™s their portable fuel supply that is holding them back.

Yah, for sure. At least in a towing capacity. For some towing 300 to 500 km per trip will be all they need. Others will have to stay with liquid fuel for the time being.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

Yah. Definetly not their forte. But I suspect most large sedans would be similar. They actually have no tow rating. Zero. I think they are the only ones with no tow rating. The Y and X both have tow ratings and the 3 has a rating in Europe. 1000 kg I think. Same as the Y. I think the X is rated for 4000 pounds. Not sure.

Towing certainly reduces mileage on any vehicle but the simple fact Is, gas tanks contain far more energy than batteries with much less eight and volume, and can be refilled in a very short time. A car getting 30 MPG carrying 75 lbs of gas can go as far as a Model S with its 1200 lb battery.

Electric motors are superior for heavy duty use, itโ€™s their portable fuel supply that is holding them back.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES!! Was just telling a friend the other day, I have an almost 2 year old Ram. Next truck will be electric or at minimum a plug in hybrid. Electric performance in cars is amazing today let alone 5 or 6 years from now! The immediate torque will be amazing! Cant wait!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BigRabbitMan wrote:
Friend of mine got a quote of $50,000 to change his 29โ€™ FMC from gas to electric with a 200 mile range. The coach weighs 14,500 lbs. it is a rear engine coach.

Should warn people to not be drinking something when they read this!
Just spit it out all over...hahaha
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Bird Freak wrote:
Hope no one is in a hurry for your ugly little truck. Its going on 3 years since the big test and unavailing of the semi and still no truck. Just saying here.

Heh heh. Thatโ€™s why the term โ€œElon Timeโ€ got famous. It happens, just not to projected timelines. Well except for model Y which came out a little early. My conjecture would be fall of 2021 and manufactured in a new factory in Texas. Time will tell.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope no one is in a hurry for your ugly little truck. Its going on 3 years since the big test and unavailing of the semi and still no truck. Just saying here.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a tow vehicle? Not interested as I don't plan on buying a recreational vehicle that needs to be towed.

Also keep in mind there is around 33 kWh in a gallon of gasoline. The average gas coach has a 70 gallon tank. That's a pretty big battery the weights only 420 pounds and can be recharged in about 10 minutes. Diesel is even bigger with a high power density and a bigger tank.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wilber1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Base Model S Long Range Plus is $80,000

Still only a 100 KWH battery.

Electric motors are great but the fuel tanks are too small.

I donโ€™t think a model s comes with a hitch though. Not sure. X and Y do. I think the model S has over 600 km range.

Their towing range is terrible.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

I donโ€™t think a model s comes with a hitch though. Not sure. X and Y do. I think the model S has over 600 km range.

Their towing range is terrible.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
BigRabbitMan wrote:
Friend of mine got a quote of $50,000 to change his 29โ€™ FMC from gas to electric with a 200 mile range. The coach weighs 14,500 lbs. it is a rear engine coach.

Cool. Is that the outfit in Arizona?

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wilber1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Still not $150,000 unless you get a bunch of performance options

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wilber1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

2011 RAM 3500 SRW