cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking grill to onboard propane

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased this grill at Camping World. We were told the only way we could use it was with the small 5 LB propane canisters. That we could not use any adapters to connect to our onboard propane tank connection. While at the dealers yesterday, I was looking at the adapters and saw one that looked like it should work. MEC brand. Of course I didn't take a photo of it and now I can't find it on line. The tech at the dealer said there was no reason I couldn't connect to the onboard tank. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.campingworld.com/smoke-hollow-vector-series-smoking-tabletop-3-burner-gas-grill-86915.html?cgid=grills#start=4&cgid=outside-rv%2Fgrills-picnic%2Fgrills%2Fgas-grills
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
17 REPLIES 17

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Not all camp grills operate at 11" w.c. at the orifice. If they did, you would just need a needle valve at the grill to turn down the heat, if needed, when connected to the 11" rv quick connect. I had a camp grill that ran at 15" so when I connected it to the rv connector, 11" only gave it really low heat and it wouldn't cook anything. The grill mfgr tech support might be able to tell you the orifice pressure, if you get lucky, so you can then figure out what you need for the hose connection and control. BTW, I'm gas certified and I make all my own stuff.
It's too bad Marshall doesn't make this reg any more. Craig

2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
worst thing you can ever tell me, it can't be done ๐Ÿ™‚

Take off the propane regulator, get an adapter (IRC 1/8" pipe thread) to the quick disconnect you plump into the trailer propane system, and you're good to go!

red31
Explorer
Explorer

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have this same grill. It is supposed to come with hose and regulator. You should be able to hook up a quick disconnect type set up and remove or not use the existing hose. There is no hard plumbed in or built in regulator on this bad boy. Set up a quick connect if you coach doesn't already have one and have the other end attached to the grill.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Magnum that came with a one piece regulator/control. Bypassing was not an option, since there would be no flame control. I found that Magnum has a low pressure control available. Might check with the manufacturer.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at Hutch Mountain for hoses, adapters, quick connect, and regulators.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like has been said, the grill can only have one regulator in line. Since your grill has a regulator attached to allow it to be used with 1 pound bottles or bulk bottles, you MUST attach it to your trailer's tanks BEFORE the trailer's regulator.

OR

Do what I did and remove the regulator from the grill. Then you MUST attach it AFTER the trailer's regulator, I.E. to the trailer's propane outlet connection.

In order to retain the ability to use the grill with a stand alone bulk propane tank, I bought a propane hose with an inline regulator. I use either the propane hose WITH the regulator or the propane hose WITHOUT the regulator depending on where I want to draw propane from.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be able to find all the parts and fittings you need here: Clicky

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as the grill does not have it's own regulator valve, you can get those quick connect fittings and just remove the reg valve off the grill and the adapters and hose and there you go.

My new rig came with a grill that mounts on the side of the trailer and can plug into the rigs propane supply. It's just those quick connect things like on air compressors and such.

I still take along a 20lb cylinder for my propane fire pit, and I still have my old propane Coleman 2 burner stove, but they both have their own regulators on them and that's fine.. I just use my bbq cylinder.

Until the grill that came with the trailer dies, I'll use it and then adapt and over come! ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
RRTom wrote:
Roger10378 wrote:
You need to tell us if the regulator is at the tank end of the hose or if it is part of the grill. If it is at the tank end of the hose it is easy to convert to a quick connect and run off the MH. If the regulator is part of the grill it gets complicated.

The regulator is at the tank end of the hose.

Does the regulator have a large ACME screw on tank connection or does it connect to the small throwaway cylinders. If it connects to the throwaways, an Extend-A-Stay type adapter with the correct hose will work fine since it connects before the RV regulator.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two (really 3) adapters.. Now I do not think Marshall Brass still makes 'em (At least last time I looked they were not in the MB online catalog) but they were called the "Extend-a-Flow" which came in two models one stright through and the other right angle, and the Extend-a-stay, All of these have a Round "Quick Connect" fitting, like you find on the top of a throw-away Propane bottle So any propane grill designed to use throw aways work with them. With an adapter many designed to work with luggable's like the 5 to 25 pounders will as well (Though the really big ones may not)

THe extend-a-stay is designed for Motor Homes like I have.. with this there is a 2nd hose included where you can hook up a luggable tank to feed the RV.. Have done that on occasion. Very handy .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:
You need to tell us if the regulator is at the tank end of the hose or if it is part of the grill. If it is at the tank end of the hose it is easy to convert to a quick connect and run off the MH. If the regulator is part of the grill it gets complicated.

The regulator is at the tank end of the hose.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I use a splitter on my 20lbs trailer tank to run a 20โ€™ hose to my bbq. The splitter has the same screw type fitting as the bbq and allows me to run the line before the trailersโ€™ regulator.

The other way is if your trailer has a quick connect port for a gas line. Remove the bbq regulator and add an adapter to use a hose into the quick connect port. A search on here or google will show how and what you need.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley