Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Hooking grill to onboard propane
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hooking grill to onboard propane

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
RRTom

California USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased this grill at Camping World. We were told the only way we could use it was with the small 5 LB propane canisters. That we could not use any adapters to connect to our onboard propane tank connection. While at the dealers yesterday, I was looking at the adapters and saw one that looked like it should work. MEC brand. Of course I didn't take a photo of it and now I can't find it on line. The tech at the dealer said there was no reason I couldn't connect to the onboard tank. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.campingworld.com/smoke-hollow-vector-series-smoking-tabletop-3-burner-gas-grill-86915.html?cgid=grills#start=4&cgid=outside-rv%2Fgrills-picnic%2Fgrills%2Fgas-grills

2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Includes a hose for connection to a 20-lb. propane tank (sold separately)."

RRTom

California USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

"Includes a hose for connection to a 20-lb. propane tank (sold separately)."

thanks. I don't remember any extra hose with the grill. But now I know that is doable. Now I need to find out if I can connect to the Motor Home's propane.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can only use one regulator with an appliance. If you connect to the RV system anywhere after the RV's regulator, you would run directly to the grill with it's regulator removed. If you connect directly to a propane bottle, then a regulator is required.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a splitter on my 20lbs trailer tank to run a 20’ hose to my bbq. The splitter has the same screw type fitting as the bbq and allows me to run the line before the trailers’ regulator.

The other way is if your trailer has a quick connect port for a gas line. Remove the bbq regulator and add an adapter to use a hose into the quick connect port. A search on here or google will show how and what you need.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to tell us if the regulator is at the tank end of the hose or if it is part of the grill. If it is at the tank end of the hose it is easy to convert to a quick connect and run off the MH. If the regulator is part of the grill it gets complicated.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

RRTom

California USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

You need to tell us if the regulator is at the tank end of the hose or if it is part of the grill. If it is at the tank end of the hose it is easy to convert to a quick connect and run off the MH. If the regulator is part of the grill it gets complicated.

The regulator is at the tank end of the hose.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two (really 3) adapters.. Now I do not think Marshall Brass still makes 'em (At least last time I looked they were not in the MB online catalog) but they were called the "Extend-a-Flow" which came in two models one stright through and the other right angle, and the Extend-a-stay, All of these have a Round "Quick Connect" fitting, like you find on the top of a throw-away Propane bottle So any propane grill designed to use throw aways work with them. With an adapter many designed to work with luggable's like the 5 to 25 pounders will as well (Though the really big ones may not)

THe extend-a-stay is designed for Motor Homes like I have.. with this there is a 2nd hose included where you can hook up a luggable tank to feed the RV.. Have done that on occasion. Very handy .

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRTom wrote:

Roger10378 wrote:

The regulator is at the tank end of the hose.

Does the regulator have a large ACME screw on tank connection or does it connect to the small throwaway cylinders. If it connects to the throwaways, an Extend-A-Stay type adapter with the correct hose will work fine since it connects before the RV regulator.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the grill does not have it's own regulator valve, you can get those quick connect fittings and just remove the reg valve off the grill and the adapters and hose and there you go.

My new rig came with a grill that mounts on the side of the trailer and can plug into the rigs propane supply. It's just those quick connect things like on air compressors and such.

I still take along a 20lb cylinder for my propane fire pit, and I still have my old propane Coleman 2 burner stove, but they both have their own regulators on them and that's fine.. I just use my bbq cylinder.

Until the grill that came with the trailer dies, I'll use it and then adapt and over come! [emoticon]

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hooking grill to onboard propane
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.