cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High humidity

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
Smells bad. Parked in NW Arkansas humidity is in the mid 80s. Temp mid 80s. When I run the ac units to cool down it is pulling the gases from the vent tank into the coach.
Never have had an issue like this before. Any ideas on how to be able to run ac units and not get the smell?
Thanks in advance.
20 REPLIES 20

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gazelle05 wrote:
Smells bad. Parked in NW Arkansas humidity is in the mid 80s. Temp mid 80s. When I run the ac units to cool down it is pulling the gases from the vent tank into the coach.
Never have had an issue like this before. Any ideas on how to be able to run ac units and not get the smell?
Thanks in advance.

NO IT IS NOT.. The AC uses only Recirculated air. At least all the modern ones only use Recirculated. There used to be some older ones that had a Exhaust or fresh intake as an OPTION (You could turn it off) but I've not seen one of those... this century.

So there is no way it can draw outside odors, in.

NOTE: this is one of the "Don't use it" Scare tatics with the Gen-Turi Generator exhaust extension things and has been completly debunked in dozens of threads on that subject.

Now what can happen is stinky stuff can build up in the A/C after all if not running it is a warm and often moist environment perfect for Mold and Mildew. (The drip tray)

Might be a good idea to head up on the roof and pop the covers (Outer and on the condenser the inner) clean what you can clean Pay attention to the drip tray. also check the condenser for "Crud" on the "windward" side. On a Coleman that's the outside (no need to remove inner cover) on most others that's the fan side (You need to contort to inspect and uncover to clean)

ALso you could have the problem of dead things in air ducts. Rare but possible.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
After trying lots of suggested solutions I ended up in Shipshewana at National Refrigeration.
Leon checked out the ac units and found a wire chase 4โ€ x 2โ€ running from front to back thru the a/c units that was not sealed off when the coach was built. This allowed the a/c to pull hot air from the chase and put it into the coach. The smell was that of fiberglass getting heat from the top of the coach.
A/c working better than new. No smells, very good service at a price that was very inexpensive.
Highly recommended business
National Refrigeration Shipshewana Indiana

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
An air admittance valve can be as cheap as $7

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't forget the washing machine "P" trap....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
I have placed ziplock baggies filled with water over all drains in the sinks and shower.
Smell has deminished thank you looks like air admittance valve has gone bad draining the pea trap.

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
I just cleaned both ac coils, no smell under cabiners, running fan only on ac units thru all the ducks no smell.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'll let you know what the problem is when I find it.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Not sure what humidity has to do with it.

Actually, quite a lot. RV roof air filters aren't very efficient at removing dirt.

In humid weather, the evaporator coils stay pretty wet.

Dirt plus water plus warm temperatures= mold, mildew, etc growth.

Again, if worse when first starting the A/C, that is the likely cause.

In New Mexico, not an issue.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what humidity has to do with it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Open the cabinet doors under the vanity and sink and see if the smell is strongest there. There is a good chance one of the air admittance valves have failed. Those valves allow the waste water to drain without sucking the "P" traps empty. Easy change, usually only hand tight. Available at all the big box stores.
Your ACs only recirculate air, they do not bring in outside air.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
Dead skunk in your AC vents?

Yep. Betcha someth'n dun died in there.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes and yes on the cleaning the coils. But first pull the ceiling panel and find the four bolts that go up through the roof. Give each bolt about 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

The gasket and AC should not be tightened all the way down to the roof. There is supposed to be a gap that is just filled by the gasket. If you overtighten you will have a leak.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe time to give the AC system a good cleaning. Clean and wash the filter in all your rooftop units, check the drain holes on the units, make sure the gaskets Between the unit and the roof are in good shape and tighten down a bit.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT