cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chassis battery issue

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Winnebago sightseer. During the summer I have it parked at my cabin and plugged into 50amp shore power 24x7. After being gone for a couple weeks, I came back up and my chassis battery level basically drained(It's less than a year old). I know that if I store it, I need to switch the coach and chassis batteries off. But I thought as long as I was plugged into shore power, the chassis should keep a charge. The coach battery is normal. I was hoping to start the unit using the battery boost switch and charge the chassis battery, but that wouldn't work either. SUGGESTIONS appreciated....

THANKS
5 REPLIES 5

Bruce_Brown
Please respond to original post.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
I did two things with mine: 1) I changed out the wet chassis battery for AGM, and 2) I bought a Coleman AGM charger from Newegg for $20 and keep the chassis battery on it. The charger generally maintains about 12.8 volts on the battery.
BTW - I stepped down from Group 31 house batteries for Group 29 with no degradation of power. HTH.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
kemer wrote:
I have a 2014 Winnebago sightseer. During the summer I have it parked at my cabin and plugged into 50amp shore power 24x7. After being gone for a couple weeks, I came back up and my chassis battery level basically drained(It's less than a year old). I know that if I store it, I need to switch the coach and chassis batteries off. But I thought as long as I was plugged into shore power, the chassis should keep a charge. The coach battery is normal. I was hoping to start the unit using the battery boost switch and charge the chassis battery, but that wouldn't work either. SUGGESTIONS appreciated....

THANKS

The basic rule is IF you can be plugged into shore power, LEAVE the Battery disconnects ON. If you have a BI directional charging system(charges chassis also), by leaving the Battery disconnects OFF, you turn off the electronic monitor system that jumps the 2 battery banks together. Doug

PS, Battery disconnects are for when you store without having shore power available.

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought my first RV in the fall, a Tiffin 33aa used. I have lots of experience with sailboats and when plugged in, all my boats would charge both house and starting batteries. Wasn't I surprised when I learned shore power only charges the house, not chassis batteries. Simple fix I found on this forum is for a Trik-L-Start. Cheap, fast way to wire the 2 banks of batteries together and the chassis gets charged from the house.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You made this same post 14 minutes earlier than this one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman