Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Time for air conditioner replacement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Time for air conditioner replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
srx-6

St. Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I will check them out.

JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler

srx-6

St. Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday I talked with Dometic Customer Service they seemed very helpful and knowledgeable. After many questions they told me, since I was replacing all 3 ac units that I could remove the control boards from the 3 old units and install them into the new Brisk Air II and use my 5 button T stat. This seems to good to be true as this will save about $500. So far PPL has the best price and availability on the Brisk Air. We will be heading home next week so, looks like I will be spending a day on the roof of the camper.
Any advice on the install would be appreciated.

A1RVTraveler

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is seems silly to remove three brand new circuit boards from three new AC units and then install three used boards from 12 year old AC units. The correct plan is to buy a new 10-button thermostat for less than $100 and upgrade your entire system. It's all plug and play.

Where is the $500 savings?

srx-6

St. Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Brisk Air comes without control boards. If I bought a new thermostat I would have to purchase 3 compatible control boards.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the difference between Brisk Air and PENGUIN. Penguins come with 10 button control boards and the Brisk Air's are just the upper unit. The install is just 4 bolts per AC and letting the existing control boxes hang loose until you get the roof top unit secured. Do you have Brisk airs already? Most Monaco's came with Penguin's to lower the height of the RV. The OLD Penguin's have the seperate control boxes. Doug

srx-6

St. Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what they are. My paperwork states Dometic / Duo Therm ac and heat pump model #630516.331. I can see the control boards so should be easy to remove

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srx-6 wrote:

Not sure what they are. My paperwork states Dometic / Duo Therm ac and heat pump model #630516.331. I can see the control boards so should be easy to remove

600 series is Penguins. Your new Brisk airs will be about 3 inches taller. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1RVTraveler wrote:

Is seems silly to remove three brand new circuit boards from three new AC units and then install three used boards from 12 year old AC units. The correct plan is to buy a new 10-button thermostat for less than $100 and upgrade your entire system. It's all plug and play.

Where is the $500 savings?

He is buying Brisk Air which have no control boards. The savings is NOT buying Penguin's which come with the control boards and they are slightly higher in base cost. If I had his unit, I would buy 3 new Penguin HP's and upgrade the tstat. Granted, another extra $1500 for all 3, but you get current Technology and do not have to worry about if the older Control boards fail and then have that cost. Doug

srx-6

St. Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new Penguin II units have finally arrived (ordered them June 15). I am thinking I will pull them up to the roof with rope and sling. Can anyone tell me if the units must remain flat or can they be turned vertical for the trip up the ladder?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srx-6 wrote:

The new Penguin II units have finally arrived (ordered them June 15). I am thinking I will pull them up to the roof with rope and sling. Can anyone tell me if the units must remain flat or can they be turned vertical for the trip up the ladder?

They can be turned vertical for a few minutes. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Time for air conditioner replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.