Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: Batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 05/25/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$150 for a pair of Group 24 hybrid lead acid batteries at 160 ah that will need replacing in 3-4 years.
Or $240 for a pair of GC2 deep cycle batteries at 215 AH that will last 7-8 years or longer.
I would take the GC2 batteries any day.

2oldman

south

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Online
Posted: 05/28/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cliffy49 wrote:

I would not have a problem but the wife may be more comfortable with all the comforts. That is why we will be taking the 3100Champion genny.
I don't know if wifey will like listening to a generator run, or what your electrical requirement are, but modest solar and an inverter will make dry camping a quieter, cleaner and more pleasant experience.

cliffy49

Blue Grass

Full Member

Joined: 01/27/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/28/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all the help and suggestions I have received. As stated in my op. we have never done this type of camping before so I dont want to get into an expensive solution to this. I agree that solar would be nice and lithium or agm bateries would be better than the lead ones.

If we decide this is somoething we would like to pursue, I can then look into the other options.


cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler


Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/02/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cliffy49 wrote:

I appreciate all the help and suggestions I have received. As stated in my op. we have never done this type of camping before so I dont want to get into an expensive solution to this. I agree that solar would be nice and lithium or agm bateries would be better than the lead ones.

If we decide this is somoething we would like to pursue, I can then look into the other options.
For what you are trying to do the 2 6 v GC batteries will be your best option. You don't need solar, agm or Li to dry camp if you are a casual camper as you describe. Full timers or folks that like to watch TV, run toasters or have greater energy requirements may need more. I dry camp for a week with my 2 Sam's Club 6v GC batteries and they never get below 50% SOC, but I just camp and don't watch TV or have high energy requirements. I don't need to run genset to recharge the batteries for a weeks worth of camping. In a week I am out of water and have to wash clothes and bedding anyways. These batteries will last a long time if you properly maintain them, mine are going on 13 years old.

cliffy49

Blue Grass

Full Member

Joined: 01/27/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/02/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got back and Costco and the interstate GC2 batteries are on sale for $89.99 each with a $15.00 core charge. At that price they are the same as the Duracell GC2's.

The only problem i have with the interstate is that I havr not yet read a review where the battery has lasted longer than 14 months. Now, I realize that people do not usually post the good stuff but that many bad reviews maakes me a liitle worried. There is some speculation that INterstate may have switched mfg's and that is the reason for the bad life span of the battery. If anyone has any news or comments about this they would be appreciated.

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/02/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cliffy49 wrote:

Just got back and Costco and the interstate GC2 batteries are on sale for $89.99 each with a $15.00 core charge. At that price they are the same as the Duracell GC2's.

The only problem i have with the interstate is that I havr not yet read a review where the battery has lasted longer than 14 months. Now, I realize that people do not usually post the good stuff but that many bad reviews maakes me a liitle worried. There is some speculation that INterstate may have switched mfg's and that is the reason for the bad life span of the battery. If anyone has any news or comments about this they would be appreciated.
Are the bad reviews for interstate batteries in general oo specifically for the golf cart batteries? The reason I ask is I had problems with their 12 volt starting batteries.

Gottahaveit

Stockton CA

Moderator

Joined: 11/01/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/02/20 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had the Interstates (6 of them) from Costco for the past 3 yrs. with no problems. Keep water in them !!


40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

cliffy49

Blue Grass

Full Member

Joined: 01/27/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/03/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

cliffy49 wrote:

Just got back and Costco and the interstate GC2 batteries are on sale for $89.99 each with a $15.00 core charge. At that price they are the same as the Duracell GC2's.

The only problem i have with the interstate is that I havr not yet read a review where the battery has lasted longer than 14 months. Now, I realize that people do not usually post the good stuff but that many bad reviews maakes me a liitle worried. There is some speculation that INterstate may have switched mfg's and that is the reason for the bad life span of the battery. If anyone has any news or comments about this they would be appreciated.


Are the bad reviews for interstate batteries in general oo specifically for the golf cart batteries? The reason I ask is I had problems with their 12 volt starting batteries.


All of the reviews that I read were on the Costco web site. That would make me think that they were all in regards to the golf cart batteries. I would really hate to spend $200 and then find that the batteries only last about 1 year.

Even though I am not a member of Sam's club, I may have to pay the 10% up charge and purchase them there. They do have the best price that I can find on the Duracell GC2.

cliffy49

Blue Grass

Full Member

Joined: 01/27/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/03/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gottahaveit wrote:

We have had the Interstates (6 of them) from Costco for the past 3 yrs. with no problems. Keep water in them !!


As with any bad review of something, all of the people that wrote a review stated that they took excellent care of the battery.

That being said, all of the reviews were written in the past year or so. I guess it is possible Interstate/Costco got a really large lot of bad batteries. [emoticon] Actually , without knowing how many batteries are sold in that time frame, it is impossible to tell if the batteries are actually that bad or not.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/03/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with those that suggest a pair of 6V golf cart batteries as a good solution for replacing a single 12V battery for those feeling their way into dry camping.

That said, if you decide that spending an entire winter in the Quartzsite desert is in your plans, and you want most of the comforts of camping with an electrical service without one, converting to lithium is an option. I went from a pair of 6V Interstate 6V batteries to a pair of 100 amp hour 12V Battleborn lithium batteries, and while I still cannot run my air conditioner, with a 1500 watt inverter I have no problem using a toaster, toaster oven, 950 watt microwave, and making a pot of drip coffee every day. I spent 78 days dry camping last winter, and, with 480 watts of solar, never needed a generator. Here is a journal entry on the conversion.


Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.