Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: House/Chassis Battery Charging Issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> House/Chassis Battery Charging Issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
gandk1011

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm new here to post, but always appreciate the help I receive from others questions. I edited some errors initially posted.

I installed a Trick L Charge to keep the Chassis (edited) battery charged when in storage. Well it quit working. The relay near the chassis battery that I connected the trick l start to shows 2 volts on both sides. So I don't think the problem is the Trick L Start.

The large positive wire from the relay near the chassis battery leads to the house battery compartment. The RV house battery compartment component it is attached to has two large gauge wires and a small yellow and black wire. The top wire on this component (which runs to the relay by the coach battery) shows 2 volts the bottom wire (which goes to the house battery) shows 13-14 volts.

**It appears to me this RV component isn't transferring power towards the chassis battery relay.

I'm not sure what the yellow and black wire on this RV component does? Not sure what this part or it's function but could that be the cause of the Trick L a Charge failure to maintain the house battery? Any other troubleshooting I can do? Thanks in advance.

Greg
2017 Coachman Leprechaun Class C E450 Ford Chassis

* This post was edited 05/25/20 10:56am by gandk1011 *

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not clear. Usually, the trickle charge is to maintain the engine battery while the house battery is kept up by the converter from shore power or from solar.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Old timer Dave

Quesnel, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living in Cold Canada I remove mine in the late fall. ensure that they are charged and bring them into the house. In the spring charge the up again for what little they have lost and reinstall them. Just like any other vehicle not being used for the winter.

[email protected]
Dodge user

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your referring to a Trik L Start an easy way to determine whether it's working is to turn on your headlights for a few minutes - that should deplete your chassis battery sufficient to kick on the charging light of the Trik L Start.

Trik L Start Instructions

Kevin

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what needed to be done, you can check to see if this is what you actually did.
1. Put Trik-L-Start to charge the CHASSIS battery from the HOUSE battery, not the other way around.
2. Plug in your MH so the converter/charger will charge the HOUSE battery. The HOUSE battery will then charge the CHASSIS battery through the Trik-L-Start.

If you put the Trik-L-Start on backward, so the CHASSIS battery is charging the HOUSE battery, and did NOT plug in the MH, the battery(ies) may have run down.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

gandk1011

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, sorry i said that wrong. The house battery is good, trick l charge was charging the chassis good until recently. Now the MH is not send house battery voltage to the relay you attach the Trickle L Charge to so it can charge the chassis battery.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 01:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Move the wire from the trik-l-charge to the house battery side of the relay.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 01:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old timer Dave wrote:

Living in Cold Canada I remove mine in the late fall. ensure that they are charged and bring them into the house. In the spring charge the up again for what little they have lost and reinstall them. Just like any other vehicle not being used for the winter.

If you fully charge the batteries and then disconnect them you may leave them in place in the RV. The rate of self discharge is lower the colder it is. A fully charged lead acid jar freezes at -62 C (-80 f). If it is that cold outside you will have more pressing problems than a frozen battery.

gandk1011

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advice. Its rainy here and I'll get out and look further soon. Its also parked in a field with no shore power nearby. I edited my initial post to make it clearer.

I think the problem is the RV component by the house battery between the Positive battery lead and the relay near the chassis battery. One side has the voltage of the house battery the other side has the voltage of the chassis battery. I would post a photo of this component if I knew how? If this model has an emergency start switch, I don't know where it is.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gandk1011 wrote:

Ok, sorry i said that wrong. The house battery is good, trick l charge was charging the chassis good until recently. Now the MH is not send house battery voltage to the relay you attach the Trickle L Charge to so it can charge the chassis battery.

I believe you have an open connection between the house battery and the relay. Check your cable connections along the path from house battery to the relay. At some point you will find the drop off of voltage. Clean, tighten, replace, repair the situation you find. Trik-L-Start needs to see 13.5+ volts to be able to do anything.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> House/Chassis Battery Charging Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.