Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Winegard Trav'ler interfering with Pathway X2?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Winegard Trav'ler interfering with Pathway X2?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had a Pathway X2 coupled with a VIP211k for several years with great success. I recently acquired a different RV that has a Winegard SM 1000 Trav'ler installed on the roof. Today I verified the Trav'ler is working fine; giving me a really great picture. However, when I tried connecting my Pathway X2, with the Trav'ler in stowed position, to the rig's satellite connection I got an on-screen message that there's a switch connection issue. The system went through a 4 step analysis but the problem apparently persists. I'm trying to figure out if there's a conflict between the antennae or if my Pathway X2 has a problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guess is that it sees both antennas and is confused. You may have to install a switch that switches the antenna wiring from one to the other so the receiver only sees one antenna at a time.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you run a check switch after changing antenna connections?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming you disconnected the coax from the Trav'ler to the receiver, there cannot be any conflict caused by the Trav'ler. As mentioned above, you do have to perform a new Check Switch routine on the receiver to be able to use the receiver with a dome.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

8ntw8tn

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The receiver automatically does a Check Switch procedure when it's first started up. I first connected my Pathway X2 to the satellite connection on the side of the coach, with the Trav'ler in the stowed position. I was trying to simulate a situation where we may be parked in a position where the Trav'ler would not get a satellite signal. That's when I got the "connectivity issue" screen (#883?). It went through a 4 stage analysis but nothing was resolved. It would not automatically go the the Check Switch procedure for the Pathway X2. There is only one satellite coax coming out of the wall for the receiver. I was hoping that the satellite "wiring" was all connected and would allow for the portable unit to acquire a signal when the rooftop unit was stowed and off. Apparently that's not the case.

Since it appears the receiver didn't recognize the portable unit and start the Check Switch procedure, as it normally does, I'm wondering if the satellite connection on the side of the coach is actually connected. There's also a possibility that the Pathway X2 is damaged internally. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to disconnec the coach coax and connect the Pathway X2 directly to the receiver.

The Trav'ler was an unexpected bonus on this RV, but it's not unusual for us to park in a site where a satellite signal would not be available to the top of the coach. Perhaps a call to Winegard after the holiday weekend is in order.

DancinCampers

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my install, the traveler was wired directly to the receiver. There is a wall plate that is connected to the external sat input in my electrical bay.

I added an A/B switch before the receiver to switch between traveler and port dish.

Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aventa II, SMI Silent Partner

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

chindog

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you may have a switch or splitter between your outside satellite hookup and your VIP211K. You can try running a cable through a window directly from the receiver to the Pathway X2 to verify they are still working. If they do, you may need to run a separate cable line from your entertainment center to an outside bay to connect the Pathway X2. That's what I had to do with mine, and it wasn't too difficult once I figured out a path to run the cable.

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you run a coax directly from the X2 to the receiver to see if that works?

8ntw8tn

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chindog wrote:

Sounds like you may have a switch or splitter between your outside satellite hookup and your VIP211K. You can try running a cable through a window directly from the receiver to the Pathway X2 to verify they are still working. If they do, you may need to run a separate cable line from your entertainment center to an outside bay to connect the Pathway X2. That's what I had to do with mine, and it wasn't too difficult once I figured out a path to run the cable.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be my corrective procedure. If I knew where the switch or splitter was located it would certainly help and I'll try to find it, but this is more likely to be the most effective route. Thanks, all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Winegard Trav'ler interfering with Pathway X2?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.