cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cody, WY to Yellowstone (East Entrance)

4azn8vs
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning our first majorRV trip for this summer. Due to the closure of the North and Northeast entrances to Yellowstone, we are planning on driving from Cody, WY to Yellowstone via the east entrance. I'm learning it is a mountainous road! My husband is very comfortable and experienced driving large vehicles/RV (we have a 25 foot C Class).

Has anyone driven this stretch before? How treacherous is it?
7 REPLIES 7

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been driving it for many decades. I really like the east approach best up the Shoshone River. Keep an eye out for moose. Stop at Wabuska Tipi, Bill Cody's old lodge. Visiting Cody is always fun. Spend some time at the Buffalo Bill Visitor Center to get warmed up for Ystone.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The other entrances should be open fairly soon so doubt you will have to use just the south or East. Non of them are difficult... OK, getting to the NE/Lamar entrance could be fun.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4azn8vs wrote:
We are planning our first majorRV trip for this summer. Due to the closure of the North and Northeast entrances to Yellowstone, we are planning on driving from Cody, WY to Yellowstone via the east entrance. I'm learning it is a mountainous road! My husband is very comfortable and experienced driving large vehicles/RV (we have a 25 foot C Class).

Has anyone driven this stretch before? How treacherous is it?

Even if the north entrance is open when you go to Yellowstone (It should open in June) I'd still favor Cody for a few days before entering YNP.

A stop in Cody will give you Cody with many attraction in and of itself, but also a few great day drives in the Toad - Chief Joseph Highway - Beartooth Highway - Wind River Canyon with Shoshoni and Thermopolis and the Hot Springs. Might even stay in the Buffalo Bill State Park and get all your supplies at the Cody Walmart before you get into the $$$$ high cost of YNP.

As for the Drive - Easy but Beautiful - most likely it is part of the reason you drove all this way to Wyoming - to see these Mountains.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Cody, WY to Yellowstone via the east entrance is a basically no contest of a drive as compared to many routes throughout the Rockies. I have driven it some five times and its has a few spots where you need to slow down and be mindful of grades up and down but can easily be done with basically any size RV unit. From the east out of Buffalo, Wy on Hwy 16 which is probably the least treacherous of most of the ways into Yellowstone the route out of Cody up to Yellowstone east gate is much, much easier. You'll have no problem on this route. Enjoy the museum in Cody which is fantastic and the scenic drive into Yellowstone which is only a little more than 50 miles.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
the east entrance mountain pass is, relatively, a piece of cake compared to many others in the Rockies. you shouldn't have any problems with it.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a fairly fast road with sweeping curves and some grade as you approach the entrance. The grade will probably slow you down more than the curves. Road is good. Take your time and enjoy the drive. This is not a winding slow mountain road with hairpin curves.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I have. It’s not treacherous. Twenty-five foot C isn’t large. IMO you should start early to avoid lines at the entrance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad