Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Mini Winnie needs major work
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Mini Winnie needs major work

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend has class C rv. Tryton V-10, less than 30k miles I think. Late 90's model year.
He has not cranked it in over ten years. It did run and work perfect when he parked it.

He said I can have it, he wants it gone.

Major delamination on the drivers side, but I have experience doing those repairs. Probably a little in the roof, but it looked good. Some general cleaning up. The entire side panel will have to come off.

it has a nice 2 cylinder Onan, that has not been cranked, but I am more confident in getting that back to life.

Im sure the gas is all varnish.

The interior is not bad.

Im torn wether to take all the valuable RV stuff out to resell and try to sell the motor for parts with the chasis, or to get it running and sell for a little profit.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be a whole lot of work to rebuild, though you presumably already know that. For most people, I think the best advice would be to walk away; but if you're looking for a large project to work on, maybe it would be reasonable. I doubt you'd make much money off the venture in either case, especially once you factor in what your labor is worth; a 20+ year old class C, even if it's in pristine condition (which of course this one isn't), is not especially valuable. Likewise 20 year old RV appliances do not command particularly high prices.

Water damage, as you probably already know, is quite often more extensive than it first appears.

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a late 1990's Class C there is no "valuable RV stuff to resell". If you want a hobby project, get it and have fun. I seriously doubt you can repair / rebuild and make any sort of profit.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Class Cs never had the "real" Triton engine. The cramped engine bay meant they all got the 2 valve head lower powered V10. Not a desirable motor power wise. So bulletproof and long lasting (300K+ miles) most vehicles with them go to the junkyard with a perfectly good engine ruining the motor's resale value. Easy visual check: 2 valve, plastic valve cover, 3 valve, aluminum cover.

* This post was edited 05/25/20 06:07am by garyemunson *

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

The Class Cs never had the "real" Triton engine. The cramped engine bay meant they all got the 2 valve head lower powered V10. Not a desirable motor power wise. So bulletproof and long lasting (300K+ miles) most vehicles with them go to the junkyard with a perfectly good engine ruining the motor's resale value. Easy visual check: 2 valve, plastic valve cover, 3 valve, aluminum cover.

The three valve variant was introduced in 2005, so before that year all vehicles--not just the E series chassis--had the two valve version. To my mind both versions are real Triton engines (and so Ford calls both versions).

They're good dependable engines, as you say, but quite common and so not valuable in terms of money.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it hasn't been started in over 10 years, you can count on every single seal, gasket, and hose on that engine needing replacement --- a major undertaking in and of itself, and that's just the engine.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJ,

If you can get it home for little cash out of pocket, go for it. Fuel injected engines don't varnish as badly as carburetors do because the fuel system has no exposure to air. The generator will need the carburetor cleaned, that is a given.

The remark above about replacing all the rubber parts is optimistic. The good thing is that replacing all the hoses and flushing the coolant and brake system is a DIY job that is usually less than 1K$us out of pocket. Tires are toast, plan on that.

I have mentored three of these programs and two were complete successes the third was only not because the owner was not willing to tear a wall open.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d rather go camping than repair an old C.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. O am now leaning to selling the chassis and vehicle as scrap. A low miles trans is desirable for someone wanting to rebuild one. Maybe the motor is good for a scrap yard and desirable for such little wear. I really don't want to attempt to get the vehicle running, too many issues, not counting needs 6 tires.
I planto call some junk yards, not sure if they buy and come pick it up...
I will likely salvage the rv stuff. It is all in great shape and might be worth a few bucks. Is there anything minor I should pull out?

water pump
fresh tank (not waste ick)
AC
heater
boiler
breaker box/charger
sink
shower faucet/wand
shower pan?
oven/range
propane fittings and regulator
gen
hub caps
door?
windows? windows need new rubber
table and parts?
I think it has a folding couch which is worth $300 or so depending on the steel frame design
fridge

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might be surprsed with what you can get for it. I would bet 3kish, with little problem. And little work on your part other thatn getting the engine and genny running

Sold one a few months back, Check craigs list, you maybe surprised as to what they are selling for.

Missed the part where you said you don't want to get it running, so disregard post

* This post was edited 05/25/20 10:09am by winnietrey *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Mini Winnie needs major work
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.