Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed Mat

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Is this mat sufficient for underneath a truck camper? I already bought it but want to be sure this is what I need. If it makes any difference I have the factory Ram sprayed bed liner.

Truck Mat

Thanks,
Rick
2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package
15 REPLIES 15

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Riley01 wrote:
Do I need anything to hold it in place? Seems like it would be heavy enough but.....

Thanks,
Rick

And what mat are you talking about?
I tested my Ford mat at governed speed just fine.
It is shaped around wheel wells, what holds it from sliding, while weight keeps it down in the vortex behind the cabin. (it sucks when you can push the governor on 4th gear, still having 2 gears to spare)

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
Do I need anything to hold it in place? Seems like it would be heavy enough but.....

Thanks,
Rick

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
That’s the mat I have in my F350 but I also had to buy the 2” Foam Board to clear the Waste Water Drain Line from hitting the Rear Bumper.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Northern Lite recommends a 3/8" thick mat for their campers. However, late model Ford HD's require an additional 1-2" of foam/plywood/horsemat to obtain the necessary truck cab/cabover clearance with a NL.

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
Yep that will work, I have that mat in my Ram 3500. Love it.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I kinda wish I had gone with that 3/8 mat instead of the 3/4 horse mat I bought..I was worried about clearance for my clearance lights on the cab..The horse mat is kinda a pain and very awkward to handle so I cut it in half making it easier to handle..

The truck camper you get will dictate how much height you will need for the TC to be clear of the rails and roof of your truck.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. I hope to put in a couple of offers for a new camper this week. I have the hardware for mounting it along with the fast guns. I finally got around to opening the boxes up and found I got 2 sets of rear hardware and no front.

Rick

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Slymer wrote:
Looks good, but IMHO 3/8" is a lot thicker than it needs to be. You don't really need it for cushioning, just for anti-slip. If too thick it can add to "top heavy" issues you may have. I see that as being the only possible downside.

Huh?
You’ve seen rubber bed mats that are considerably thinner??

$20 says you can’t tell the difference in 1/2” of center of gravity.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I have factory mat on my F350 and it works perfect.
It is heavy, but then I don't have to worry about wind picking it up. On previous truck I had like 3/8" thick rubber mat and I had to roll it each time I took camper off.
The TC I used had metal flashing with screws at the bottom, what would wear holes even in spray on liner.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same mat in my F350. Works great and is a perfect fit. Much lighter than stall mats. My Igloo rides on it just fine. Good choice.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Looks good to me too. I just use a basic rectangle shaped rubber mat, it still looks and works like new on its 8 summer season.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a sprayed in liner and use a mat. In addition I had to add wood slats under the camper to achieve the proper clearance.

I would guess my mat is about 3/8" thick. It is heavy and has lasted for 9 years with no signs of wearing out.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I think its perfect.
My truck came with a Turbo-Liner bed liner so I saw no need to add anything else.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice mat.