cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Reverse Lights

cj_rezz
Explorer
Explorer
My family and I often arrive at campsite late in the day, often when it's dark, as we work a full day at work and then leave town after that.

I came across a great deal on 4 27watt LED Flood lights at Princess Auto and couldn't pass them up as reverse lights for the trailer.

The lights are hooked into the empty wire on the trailer coming off the reverse pin of my 7 pin trailer plug so they come on automatically with my tow vehicle's reverse lights.

I installed 2 at the back of the trailer that light up behind the trailer and to the sides of the trailer and 2 at the front pointing backwards along the sides of the trailer. They are all angled down as to still allow my spotter to look at the trailer without getting blinded.

This mod has made a big difference in the ease of arriving at a campsite in the dark and being able to back it in easily.

The total amps the lights draw, since LED, are under the amp rating for that reverse circuit on my tow vehicle and all wiring I installed was spec'd for the length of the wire run and the amp draw of the lights over that length of wire run.

Picture - for whatever reason, RV.net shows a broken image when I link the the share google photo... so here's a link instead.
2010 Nissan Armada Platinum -Bilstein (24-197649) 46mm Shocks, Moog 81085 Rear Coils, R1 Concepts Rotors, Prodigy P3, Nokian Rotiva AT Plus LT275/60R20, Husky Center Line TS 32217 WD Hitch w/ Integrated Sway Control
2006 Jayco Jay Feather EXP 23B
14 REPLIES 14

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did exactly the same thing with mine. Put two on the back then two on the sides for all the same reasons you did. My cousin did the same thing after I did mine and he one upped my by also tying the backup light circuit into the switch that is for the little power jack light. He can flip the switch on the tongue jack light and everything lights up. I may need to do that.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
In my own experience, I get the greatest benefit from covering the tow vehicle lights. The tail, brake, and reverse lights bouncing back at me from the diamond plate prevents me seeing anything beyond the front of the trailer.
I guess that only happens on one of the TT's in your signature

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The lights shining off the front of the camper idea. Get some magnetic sign material and cut to fit your back up lights with some overlap for the bed side and the tailgate. Only takes seconds to install when you get out to walk the site. Stuff is cheap.
Puma 30RKSS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
In my own experience, I get the greatest benefit from covering the tow vehicle lights. The tail, brake, and reverse lights bouncing back at me from the diamond plate prevents me seeing anything beyond the front of the trailer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Ok now I'm doing this! Thanks ??

Also yeah I think on a switch would be better than tied into reverse circuit.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice mod !!

cj_rezz
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I like it. I also have two LED backups that I added near the front like you did. It makes it a lot easier to back up when out in the desert at night. It also makes it a lot easier to deal with leveling blocks and stabilizer jacks as I don't need to hold a flashlight in one hand.

Have you added a switch so you can turn the lights on even when not hitched up? Currently mine are only wired to the backup circuit on my Suburban. But I found that many times I need to get out and do something while leaving the lights on. The only way to achieve that now is putting on the parking brake and leaving the truck in reverse which I'm not too keen on doing.

I haven't but that was on my to do list as well! It would be very handy to be able to flip a switch and have some perimeter lighting come on!
2010 Nissan Armada Platinum -Bilstein (24-197649) 46mm Shocks, Moog 81085 Rear Coils, R1 Concepts Rotors, Prodigy P3, Nokian Rotiva AT Plus LT275/60R20, Husky Center Line TS 32217 WD Hitch w/ Integrated Sway Control
2006 Jayco Jay Feather EXP 23B

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I like it. I also have two LED backups that I added near the front like you did. It makes it a lot easier to back up when out in the desert at night. It also makes it a lot easier to deal with leveling blocks and stabilizer jacks as I don't need to hold a flashlight in one hand.

Have you added a switch so you can turn the lights on even when not hitched up? Currently mine are only wired to the backup circuit on my Suburban. But I found that many times I need to get out and do something while leaving the lights on. The only way to achieve that now is putting on the parking brake and leaving the truck in reverse which I'm not too keen on doing.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't understand backup lights until I saw your picture - great idea, and just where you need light to be when backing in the dark.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great idea!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very well executed. Makes my single light on a TT some years ago look stupid ha.
Puma 30RKSS

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a nice plan, I like it.
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice!
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea and execution.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad