Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Need new GPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Need new GPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC&MC wrote:

OP here. This is an interesting idea. Don’t have a tablet. DH would love the larger screen. Does it have to be android? Don’t know anything about tablets but DH had an android phone years ago and we hated it.

Everything has a learning curve. Android tablets are considerably cheaper and larger than MAC's. Co-Pilot is available for both.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can do Google Maps/WAZE just fine on a phone (or 2 phones if you and your wife would like to have a good close-up view) as the travel area displayed is only a small portion of the path ahead, even on a large display. The voice commands are excellent and give you plenty of lead time to get into the proper lane and ensure you are at the right intersection. We bought a 10" tablet that we could mount in the middle for both to see but found we were actually happier with a phone mounted close to the driver.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use harming 760 in conjunction with my smartphone/Waze. The farming does rv related stuff waze doesnt, and it works without cell service

Winnebago Access 24V

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google Maps does not require cell service either. You can download the map before you leave and have the entire day's journey setup. However, you do not get live traffic which I find to be the MOST valuable option. No GPS has it without a separate cellular connection and even then I find it to be a pitiful amount of information compared to Google Maps.
Even when you do use data, the amount of data used is very minimal. I measured less then 300MB of data used on a 350 mile trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Need new GPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.