cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rain Entering My Slideout

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I have a new RV and tonight I saw water leaking into the living area under the dining room slideout. This has not happened before, but it has been raining pretty hard tonight. I don't see it coming down a wall. I see it seeping out from under the slideout.

Any suggestions to stop the leak before or without taking it in for warranty service? I suppose in the morning when I have some light and it's not pouring I will go outside and inspect the seals for any obvious problems. I don't know how I can check on top of the slide since I don't have a ladder. Any other ideas? Should I retract the slide and then try to extend it again? Should I retract it and leave it in?

Thanks in advance.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
9 REPLIES 9

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would clean the side wiper seals, and wax the slide sides. Look at the bottom slide seals.

They should not leak.

If under warranty, let Winney fix. If you try to fix then after warranty period it becomes your problem
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
As a short term approach, lean the rv slightly toward the slide. I know on older rvs that tend to have aged weather stripping, it can help. The idea is to keep the water running away from the rv if any gets on top of the slide. Sometimes driving rain can get under the topper, and if the slide is tilted slightly toward the rv, water run toward the rv, and can get under the seals. The water will usually make its way to one side of the slide, or the other, and run down the sides of the slide. The water ends up getting the floor wet. The other alternative is pull in the slide if it is a driving rain.

dedmiston
DallasSteve wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
If memory serves me, haven't you been chasing a leak for a couple of weeks? It sounds like you might have found the source.

There was a leak in the storage area below the floor. This is different. It's the first time I've seen water inside the coach and it happened during a downpour. This morning no rain and no leak. FYI, this fantastic brand new motorhome is a Winnebago. The constant costs and problems are causing me to consider selling and getting out of the RV fulltime life after only 3 months.

Yeah, going directly from new buyer to fulltimer is risky. It can take a long time to work through the initial warranty issues until the coach is actually livable. We finally got tired of all the lies from the dealer and just hired a mobile tech to come out and handle our remaining issues. Right or wrong, it was money well spent.

Good luck.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Depends on the weather conditions, direction of the RV and slope whether you have an issue or not.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'll try to attach a couple of photos.

On one side I see the rubber seals appear to be correctly seated. on the other side at the top one of the seals is flexed inward. Maybe that has caused the leak. I will pop that out and see if it makes a difference. I will check the seal positions in the future when I park and extend the slides.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I remember a post on here where water was running down the side of the slide and wrapping underneath. I think the ultimate fix was something like a small strip of tape or something hanging off the bottom edge so the runoff would fall off and not turn the corner.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Other than a hole somewhere look at the slide seals and angle of the slide when pulled in or out; it might be out of alignment enough that allows rain to get in.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
dedmiston wrote:
If memory serves me, haven't you been chasing a leak for a couple of weeks? It sounds like you might have found the source.

There was a leak in the storage area below the floor. This is different. It's the first time I've seen water inside the coach and it happened during a downpour. This morning no rain and no leak. FYI, this fantastic brand new motorhome is a Winnebago. The constant costs and problems are causing me to consider selling and getting out of the RV fulltime life after only 3 months.

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230