cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Four Winds 29G too good to be true?

Cyager9110
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience with campers at all. I recently came across a 2016 Four Winds 29G with 26,000 miles. The guy is only asking $25,000. After looking up comparible models, this deal almost seems too good to be true. He claims to have paid $79,000 a year prior for it. What are things that I should be looking for to make sure there are no issues? I have test drove it and went over everything and other than cosmetic things here and there, it seems in great shape. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cody
25 REPLIES 25

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jrobert01 wrote:
read the article on red max pro really good for older faded exterior makes it look like new just follow instruction by users you will love the look.

too many "issues" with red max later.

bumpy

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
read the article on red max pro really good for older faded exterior makes it look like new just follow instruction by users you will love the look.

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Cyager9110 wrote:
Got the motorhome! It's in great condition. Some water damage in the bed above the driver's seat but that is about it. He also threw in a free car hauler as well so it was a hell of a deal. Any recommendations on a cleaner for the exterior? It is pretty weathered and could really use some registration.

Good luck!

Try Meguiars wash and wax.

Cyager9110
Explorer
Explorer
Got the motorhome! It's in great condition. Some water damage in the bed above the driver's seat but that is about it. He also threw in a free car hauler as well so it was a hell of a deal. Any recommendations on a cleaner for the exterior? It is pretty weathered and could really use some restoration

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Cyager9110 wrote:
I have no experience with campers at all. I recently came across a 2016 Four Winds 29G with 26,000 miles. The guy is only asking $25,000. After looking up comparible models, this deal almost seems too good to be true. He claims to have paid $79,000 a year prior for it. What are things that I should be looking for to make sure there are no issues? I have test drove it and went over everything and other than cosmetic things here and there, it seems in great shape. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cody

Wow, seems like a no-brainer to me unless it took water or was driven 22k with no fluids in it. Check exterior/interior close for any bubbles in roof or delamination.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So regardless of the chit chat, THAT is a great deal. He!!, I'd buy it and flip it if nothing else.
OP, check it out and if it's legit and in great condition, it should already be in your driveway!

If you've hung around here much, the same crowd will tell you tomorrow, in another thread, that $25-30k will get you a nice 10+ year old class C......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bumpyroad wrote:
way2roll wrote:

I have been shopping for a while now and haven't any dealer approaching 50%. Contrary, most are prices you would normally see and moving a lot of inventory. I would love to know where I can get a leftover Class A for 50% MSRP.

a dealer can easily sell for 50% off MSRP. all he has to do it get a window sticker showing an elevated price for it.
bumpy

Agreed. I don't want to hijack the thread but the MSRP's in Caringb's post above are both inflated - (nothing personal caringb). I looked up a few sources and the actual MSRP for each of those is much lower than the dealer is quoting. They still might be good deals but %off MSRP is a sales tactic.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

I have been shopping for a while now and haven't any dealer approaching 50%. Contrary, most are prices you would normally see and moving a lot of inventory. I would love to know where I can get a leftover Class A for 50% MSRP.

a dealer can easily sell for 50% off MSRP. all he has to do it get a window sticker showing an elevated price for it.
bumpy

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

This is one I've been keeping an eye on for the last month. Finally went to sale pending today. MHSRV - 2019 THOR Outlaw for 45% off MSRP

This one isn't quite as much as a discount as a percent, but still being advertised for $125,000 off MSRP. 2019 Holiday Rambler Navigator 37R
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have said. Inspection is very important. Especially the roof. Actually climb up in the over cab bed - remove the pads and inspect deep in the corners for evidence of roof leakage.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
carringb wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Still a head scratcher. If the local dealership lowballed him, how low was it? I mean he's almost 50% of low retail selling it himself. If it's really true, then it's worth it to have a tech come inspect it. You could buy it and flip it and make a quick $10k if you didn't want to keep it.

Dealers don't want inventory. At all. That's why they are lowballing. Some dealers are selling new 2020 Class C's under $60,000. So my sister just bought one:) But that means leftover 2019s are listing under $50,000. NADA simply doesn't reflect current market conditions.

This is certainly a great deal, but I don't know that it's a guarantee to make a substantial profit flipping it. The folks with a job still and good credit can get a smoking deal on a new unit (leftover new Class A's are approaching 50% off MSRP!) and the folks who are looking for a great deal, can find even cheaper units that are 10 years old but still in great shape. RVs only a few year old, are probably a tough sell right now.

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another vote for having a mobile tech check it out.

But leaks are the biggest common issue. Look up in the cabinets at the ceiling looking for any water stains and tap them lightly to see if it sounds different...that's usually water damage.

Otherwise, make sure to start all the appliances and make sure they run. Take a fan or light and plug into every outlet. etc...

No matter how nice the guy seems, don't do something stupid because he seems nice. The best con artists can pull off appearing to be the nicest folks and they have a story that makes sense. Make sure it has a clean title with no outstanding loans.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Careful that the Mobile Tech does not buy it out from under you for that price...Just Saying
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will attempt to share with you what I have experienced over the last 50 years of rv ownership and dealership experience. Not to say this is a bad or good unit but during normal times rv manufacturers tend to push them off the line at a rapid rate. In 2016 Thor was responsible for a third of rv demand. They tend to leave the tweaking up to the individual dealer to deal with. It saves them time to build and sell new units increasing their profits.

Now it depends on the dealer. If this unit was bought from one of those good caring dealers then it might be a decent unit offering the original owner trouble free service and his reasons might be valid for its sale.

If it was bought from a busy superstore then you would have a lesser chance of the unit being a solid sale. They too, do not do good prep jobs and push them out the door to leave YOU, the new unsuspecting owner, to deal with it .
That's one of the reasons we see a lot of 3 year old rv's on the market. People get fed up waiting for rv service appointments and not having use of their rvs. This is a reason to buy a slide model rv with a useable floorplan while having the slide in the "IN" position, just in case you need to use it that way for any period of time.

There are a lot of used newer rv's on the market and that is why NADA prices and such carry little weight on the real used rv market . Dealers use a black book as part of their negotiations process regarding trades. These owners have to come up hardship stories in order to sell them privately. Taking trades is a necessity for dealers and is often problematic for them, they tend to under price the value because they have to warranty it for a period of time. This forces private sales.

Things not in your favor, the floorplan , Poking large holes in rv sidewalls to compromise its construction as well as placing a lot of weight on one side over the other. Depending on storage locations, you might be starting off driving an unbalanced rv.
Multiple slideouts and having a kitchen in a slide. Plumbing, electrical and gas lines must flex in order to go in/out. Therefore as others with experience have suggested , hire someone, a professional to inspect this unit. It could be a good unit, but there are a lot of variables to investigate because of all its moving parts. There also is a higher tendency for failure.

When you inspect any rv, make sure the roof vents and windows have been fully closed for a day before you inspect it. Your nose and a flashlight to inspect dark compartments will be your best tools. Cheap clearance lights and seals around roof installations have been a known leak source on all rvs. Water intrusions will seek the lowest levels to settle.
Check those horizontal areas where sidewalls meet the floor or cabinets and bed platforms in-between ceilings and floors. Check for newly added carpets especially under the slides. Most water damage is hidden under the carpet and stains are not visible unless the carpet is removed.
I have helped replace worn carpets from slide wear and found water damage while replacing it. The owners never realized they were leaking. We had a slideout fall onto the ground when we deployed it. It was due to rot from water damage. The owner claimed he never realized it.

The first thing I would do is check to see if the seller really has an eye doctor.