cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Trunnion Questions??

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
After 12 yrs of towing with a "round" bar DC, I am heading over to the "dark" side!!! found a super deal on a trunnion setup. Wasn't used with DC, came with a friction sway control (YUK!!). In very good shape, very little wear on the pivot points. A few long trips before prev owner went to a class A.

QUESTION: Bars are roll pinned to the trunnions. There is some play in the connection. My past recollection of these was a bolt and jam nut holding the bar into the trunnion. Age of the stuff is aboot 6 yrs by the tags on the head. Is the slight side to side play something to consider, and change to bolt and nut???

Am aware of the "top" mount coupler occasional problems, will go to a tall ball if needed. Head is the newer, raised ball style. One more trip on the old "roundy" and then start the install and adjustment mess!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
5 REPLIES 5

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Barney: One reason for change is tonque weight. The 1200# bars are "maxed" out, in my opinion. But main reason is excess wear in in the hitch head where the bars fit. On my second head and decided to make the change. Since Reese started making the heads (and whatever!!) in China, and going away from the spring clip style bar retention, the head has worn terribly. Creates a change in the DualCam adjustment over time. So "new" stuff and readustment is no big deal for me!! To anyone who is going to say I should lube, I DO, every trip. I've used moly lube, reg grease, a mix of gear oil and moly. Nothing has stopped the wear. The head metal is junk. PERIOD!!!

So I'll be rehitching after this weekend trip to the E OR mountains. Thanks for responses on the pins. But intersting that the holes in the trunnion are larger than the roll pins!! Not worn either!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
They have some play from new. If you are concerned about pin wear, drive out the old pins with new ones.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You will have some slop till there is tension. The bars are pinned to the trunnions. And the trunnions are held in place in the sockets. Mine were the same way. Towed close to 20k miles never an issue!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There is slop/play to insert the bars into the hitch head, but I do not have any play when there is tension. I have this setup:
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is your old round bar system still doing the job? If so, I'm wondering why you would want to change unless you have a tongue weight greater than 1200lbs now or are having clearance issues.
Personally, I would rather keep my old, working system than go through the whole setup process again just to change the bar type.

To answer your question, I would not be concerned with the small amount of play in the bar/trunnion mount. They will still work as intended.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine