Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Few questions from the future RV-er
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Few questions from the future RV-er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Polonus

Matthews, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a truck driver, planning to retire in about two, or three years. I know I'll miss my driving, so I am thinking about buying an RV, preferably class B, or small class C type. However I don't know nothing about makers of those things, what reputation they have, why similar looking van could cost twice more then its competitor, or why class C van, bigger and better equipped then class B, cost much less then smaller vehicle.

I was looking at Jayco Redhawk SE 22A, which I like a lot - from what I see on YouTube - specially the price, but I read some bad reviews about the quality of it. I'd rather have something smaller, more nimble, like Sportsmobile vans, but they cost 50% more. Other class B vans can cost twice, or 3 times more than Jayco. Why?

Which company makes best quality RVs, and best features for the money? Is it better to pay extra for a Mercedes Sprinter, or Ford Transit would be sufficient? How about the RAM van? Is the FWD any good idea for an RV? Or maybe 4WD is a must? What about a diesel or gas dilemma? Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of different opinions on the questions you raised.
For starters, the major brands are all using the same platforms (Ford Chevy, MB as well as Ram) and all of them have their fans. The Full size van varients, Ford E series and Chevy 3500 have longterm usage and are proven designs and powertrains. Ford is more common especially in the larger units 28' and up, and the drivetrain is a little stronger with the 6.8 V-10 vs GM's 6.0 V-8. But in smaller units especially, many feel the Chevy platform is preferable, both in road manners as well as interior comfort (dog house size and position). The new 7.3 V-8 from Ford could make the power and tranny issues even more obvious as they start showing up this year, and the doghouse may even shrink some.
The transit vans MB's and Ford dominate in gas vs diesel and Ram is in there with a few of each.
On interior components all of the brands use basically the same appliances, refrigerators, stoves, heaters and AC units are shared across brands. The bigger differences are in how a builder puts it together, and there some telling differences come to light.
The smaller "B" lines tend to be more of a craftsman market, less of a "mass production" approach. And their prices show the difference.
The bigger RV brands offer a lot of models with similar floorplans, across all levels of pricing, Interior cabinetry, and furnishings are where they can trim a lot of cost, and it's where you will spot a lot of differences.
Particle board with shelf paper type coatings are cheapest, and show wear the soonest, Ply wood frames are better, and hardwood is better still. Freestanding couches are better built and more expensive than the built in units generally as well.

Your size range mentioned puts you in a zone you may want to look at referred to by some as the Cruiser RV's.
Gulfstream B Touring cruiser, Phoenix Cruiser, and some others like the Coachhouserv and concord model from Coachmen.
These Cruisers still give you the heavier platform and drivetrain from the larger Ford and GM lines, but a slightly slimmer lower profile for easier travel.

Others will expound on other considerations, I'm just trying to get you started.
Happy hunting.

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rent an A, B and C. Then you’ll know what will make you happy.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a small Class C Winnebago on a Ford chassis. Stay away from Thor products.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the Forum,you will most likely get a lot of good information here.

The Jayco Redhawk SE 22A is a good choice,it is small and if you can live with the floor Plan it would be a perfect starter RV.

On the Plus side of this choice it is built on a Chevy Chassis

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Polonus

Matthews, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

(...)Your size range mentioned puts you in a zone you may want to look at referred to by some as the Cruiser RV's.
Gulfstream B Touring cruiser, Phoenix Cruiser, and some others like the Coachhouserv and concord model from Coachmen.
These Cruisers still give you the heavier platform and drivetrain from the larger Ford and GM lines, but a slightly slimmer lower profile for easier travel.

Others will expound on other considerations, I'm just trying to get you started.
Happy hunting.

Thank you, I'll check them out.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think about:

What kind of travel do you plan? Full-time or part-time? Scenic trips or staying in one place? Hooked up to utilities or on your own for utilities?

How many people and animals will travel with you?

Where will you keep the RV when not traveling? Neighborhood parking restrictions? Storage yard costs?

Will your chosen rig fit your body comfortably? Are you tall, short, wide, etc? Do you fit into the toilet/shower area?

Who will service your rig? Engine/drive train stuff often has to go to one place and RV features to another. Are these service centers located near you?

Will you be on pavement or off? You mention 4WD. Some people use their 4WD for boat ramps or to get out of their slippery driveways at home and some want to go out there and explore. A 4WD RV is NOT a rock crawler, and often will not fit into those off-road places seen in photos. You can do expensive damage to your RV by taking it where it ought not go. I say this as a person who has driven a 4WD RV for 29 years. And yes, I still love my 4WD RV.

etc etc. You get the idea. Know the features you need or want. Study the specs. Be cautious about believing what salespersons tell you.

THERE IS NO PERFECT RV. Choose one that meets most of your needs, get out there, and enjoy it!

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 44-1/2 years I miss truck driving like I miss a hemorrhoid.

Rolaids, Doan's pills and preparation H. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNxGnIH-PeM

Polonus

Matthews, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

After 44-1/2 years I miss truck driving like I miss a hemorrhoid.

I drive professionally only 42 and half years and I still love it!

DiploStrat

Arlington VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Polonus wrote:

… why similar looking van could cost twice more then its competitor, or why class C van, bigger and better equipped then class B, cost much less then smaller vehicle.

Since I come from the expedition vehicle world (See website, linked below), I'll play.

-- Most American RV's are very poorly made. They are made by companies whose owners and, in many cases, workers, have never spent a single night in their products. The goal is to sell the largest possible volume of vehicles at the lowest price.

-- Well made, enthusiast spec RV's cost 100-300% more. E.G. https://advanced-rv.com/

-- Vehicles which are used in commercial camp sites, i.e., sites with power, water, and sewage, cost much less than vehicles are designed for extended wild, or unsupported camping. Solar, battery, and larger tanks are examples.

-- Many RV's cannot be used for extended periods of time below freezing. Insulation, double pane windows, heavy duty heat, etc. all cost much more than a normal RV, regardless of size.

-- Extended dirt road use calls for better, more expensive construction to avoid cracks and leaks. 4x4 drivetrains are more expensive.

-- Long term reliability becomes an issue as well if you are considering international travel beyond Mexico and Canada.

Take some time to consider your intended use, chat with real world owners, and try to attend an RV show, or at least a large dealer with a range of models.

If you want small and 'round the world capable, consider: Nimbl Vehicles

* This post was edited 05/27/20 05:49pm by DiploStrat *

DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Few questions from the future RV-er
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.