cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing Diesel long term during COVID

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Long range planner here. Asking questions on storing our diesel RV.

Usually head south for the winter. Looks likely a no go for us this fall due to health issues with potential Covid exposure. I have not winterized for years as we have not needed it. RV will likely stay stored for at least 6 months assuming a few short trips locally before end of October. Will do normal maintenance on RV chassis before storing. Assuming things do not dramatically change, we will be staying home this fall.

OK with winterizing but what should I do to treat the diesel fuel (Cummings 360 engine), what to do when when I unstore, and what else do I need to know? Long time RVer, newish to diesel land. All info will be gratefully accepted. If it sits all summer is there anything I should do now?

Think not doing significant RVing travel in our near future is the hardest part for us. Safe travels all. THANKS in advance for any advice on safely storing our Tiffin.
16 REPLIES 16

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
Ray,IN wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
I let my diesel Bobcat sit for almost a year. Charged the battery and fires right up every time.

Same with farmers combines,fill with fuel, disconnect neg battery cable, and forget about it until next harvest season.
The big difference being that a farmer doesn’t hop on a piece of farm equipment and drive it 1000 miles in 2 days. And, if they hit a clogged filter, they aren’t sitting in the middle of nowhere trying to change a fuel filter that they can’t access nearly as easily as on their combine, tractor or Bobcat. Having maintained two Cummins and a Yanmar I can state it’s a bit of an apples and oranges comparison.

Dave
That is my point, farmers who I know seldom have fuel problems, as they always fill fuel tanks prior to storage. I haven't had a fuel problem in years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Ray,IN wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
I let my diesel Bobcat sit for almost a year. Charged the battery and fires right up every time.

Same with farmers combines,fill with fuel, disconnect neg battery cable, and forget about it until next harvest season.
The big difference being that a farmer doesn’t hop on a piece of farm equipment and drive it 1000 miles in 2 days. And, if they hit a clogged filter, they aren’t sitting in the middle of nowhere trying to change a fuel filter that they can’t access nearly as easily as on their combine, tractor or Bobcat. Having maintained two Cummins and a Yanmar I can state it’s a bit of an apples and oranges comparison.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Just have spare filters and know how to change them if needed.
Condensation might be an issue and it will stop at the filters.
I don't think I have ever changed a filter without dumping the contents in a clear container (2 ltr bottle cut off) and checking for water!
Just today I spotted water in a neighbors Kubota Tractor filter and poured contents into bottle to show her.
I have reused filters too when they were clear or not that old.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:
I put a bit of diesel biocide in my tank when I get home from my winter trip in case I don't travel before next winter. Although many do, I never bother fill the tank, just add a bit of fuel to wash down the biocide.

Dave

I do not use Diesel myself but we used it at the office when I was a working dispatcher at least every time Detroit Edison failed us we used it... I agree with Magicbus

I had a friend (Our paths diverged) who had a beautiful 25 year old blue bird bus that would not run right... Turns out to be his problem.. He had a pro out there workign on it getting no place and finally I pointed to the pre-filter in the fuel line.

Full of alge.

A bottle of algicide, a new filter and VAROOM
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
We normally spend the winter in AZ in an area with limited medical resources. Short trips near to home allows shopping curbside as we are now, not having to go inside businesses unless we feel comfortable. We hope things improve and we can go but are being watchful as the disease spread hopefully lessens. Hate getting older and needing to be more cautious. Still hoping the predicted second wave does not occur. No one has a crystal ball on this. Stay safe all.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure but you stated, you may take short trips this summer.what is the difference in taking the longer trip to Florida? Your out in public either trip.

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Appreciate the wisdom here.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Biocide for sure, and to be safe fill the tank.
2014 American Eagle

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:
I put a bit of diesel biocide in my tank when I get home from my winter trip in case I don't travel before next winter. Although many do, I never bother fill the tank, just add a bit of fuel to wash down the biocide.

Dave

This.

1000’s of pieces of diesel powered ag and construction equipment are parked for months without issues in winter lands.

Disconnect the batteries and give them a charge with a good “smart charger” a every month or two...

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
catkins wrote:
Long range planner here. Asking questions on storing our diesel RV.

Usually head south for the winter. Looks likely a no go for us this fall due to health issues with potential Covid exposure. I have not winterized for years as we have not needed it. RV will likely stay stored for at least 6 months assuming a few short trips locally before end of October. Will do normal maintenance on RV chassis before storing. Assuming things do not dramatically change, we will be staying home this fall.

OK with winterizing but what should I do to treat the diesel fuel (Cummings 360 engine), what to do when when I unstore, and what else do I need to know? Long time RVer, newish to diesel land. All info will be gratefully accepted. If it sits all summer is there anything I should do now?

Think not doing significant RVing travel in our near future is the hardest part for us. Safe travels all. THANKS in advance for any advice on safely storing our Tiffin.

Go south, as usual, for the winter.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Western Washington doesn't get cold enough to winterize it. Make sure the fuel tank is full otherwise condensation will form inside the tank. Water is not a diesel's friend. I put a little mineral oil in all the P traps and the toilet so they don't dry out. Take her out when you can.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Keep the tank full and don’t worry about diesel going bad, even biodiesel for that length of time. I plan on winterizing my DP next winter by going to Florida as usual. Could go now from one red state to another but summer is not my favorite time there.

After the election you will miraculously be able to travel so “don’t worry” about going south or your diesel going bad.

PS: Hong Kong which is very similar size to NYC, had 1000 cases of C19 and 4 deaths. They quarantine for 3 months an infected person... did not put back into a nursing home.:S
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...