cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tv amplifier

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Like most we have a tv amplifier in our 5th wheel. this weekend while camping we couldnt get a picture on both tv,s. yes we had the light on for over the air signal. anyone know how to check the amplifier?
10 REPLIES 10

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
cable RG6U

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
machunt wrote:
Not sure if it works yet. i will have to wait till we go camping again. Is there a special coax cable for outdoors? my concern is the boot that goes around the coax cable. i had to cut the top off and then recaulk

No special cable though you can get cable with a boot already in place. But if you re-caulked around where the boot was on the original cable that is, if anything SUPERIOR to the boot.

So that should not be a problem. The boots are not that effective in many cases.

I used a superior sealing compound when I re-did mine.. I also used compression type connectors and of the weatherproof type.

I have not had to replace the above roof cable but I did have to replace the upper end (With a weatherproof compression) earlier this season (last winter) when I forgot to lower the antenna and OPPS.

Turns out the new head outperforms the old one (or the new connection does) so I'm not as upset as I thought I'd be 2 bolts. one cable end replacement and job done.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if it works yet. i will have to wait till we go camping again. Is there a special coax cable for outdoors? my concern is the boot that goes around the coax cable. i had to cut the top off and then recaulk

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok is it working now.
AS I said there is often a connector in the roof. Sometimes it sticks up and you can get to it without tools other than a scraper for the putty over it, Other times it is IN the roof under a cover you have to scrape off and unscrew (Mine is the latter)

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
i replaced the cable to the antena, it was in bad shape. i nwas unable to run new cable inside the channel of the antena,.. also new cable would not go through the boot for the roof.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok cable from the wall plate (Oh by the way I suggest an upgrade) goes to the roof. no farther. There is a connector in or on the roof (Mine is under a cover in the roof) and a 2nd cable from there goes to the antenna head.

Turn unit off (Light off) up on the roof disconnect cable from antenna CAREFULLY connect voltmeter red to center wire black to the "Sleeve" of the connector Be very careful not to short things out have partner turn on and see if you have full battery power.... I did not

The connector in the roof was ... basically history (Very corrorded)

Two new cable ends and a new double female (Barrel) connector. Some better sealant and I'm watching OTA as I type.

The amplifier almost (I STRESS ALMOST) Never fails it's in the antenna

THe wall plate upgrade Sensar PRO about 100 DIY install.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Correct.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Can i check the 12 volts if not hooked up to shore power? i still should have 12 volts if battery is on correct?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
You can check for power to the amplifier with the power inserter light on by disconnecting the coax at the rooftop antenna and carefully checking for 12 volts with a volt or multi-meter. That will at least tell you if power is getting to the amplifier. If there's no voltage at that end, the most common suspect is the coax lead from the antenna to the roof entry point. There's usually junction buried in the caulk at the entry point. A quick test would be to run a separate length of coax temporarily from the power inserter to the antenna.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Did you rotate the antenna and scan for channels?