cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I tow this? Rig Setup with statistics here

greatnate
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone - new to the form and I've been looking for a toy hauler that I can tow with my 2011 Chevy Tahoe Ltz 4wd with the HD towing/cooling package. Here are my stats:

Axle Ratio is 3:42
GVWR: 7300lbs
Max Trailer Weight: 8,200lbs
GCWR:14,000lbs
Max Tongue Weight (With weight distributing hitch): 1,100lbs
GAWR FRT: 3600lbs
GAWR Rear: 4100lbs
Curb Weight: 5,900lbs

Note: The Tahoe has the automatic load leveling in the rear and 22inch aftermarket wheels making the truck sit a little higher.

I've been looking at the Forest River Grey Wolf 19rr, here are its stats:

Dry Hitch weight: 574lbs
GVWR: 7574lbs
UVW: 4180lbs
CCC: 3394lbs
Length: 24"

I'd be looking at towing a ~1k lbs four wheeler and maybe another ~1k-2k lbs in other gear.

My math is as follows: Towing capacity will be fine even with the toyhauler maxed at its GVWR. However, I'm thinking the GVWR of the tahoe might be close to its maximum. As I mentioned the GVWR is 7300 minus curb weight of 5900 minus tongue weight of fully loaded toy hauler (15% of GVWR is 1,136.1lbs) and an additional 100 or so lbs for the weight distributing hitch means I'm at 163.9lbs remaining on my GVWR for the tahoe. Here is my dilema, I'm anticipating 500-600 lbs for the family which means I think I'm over the GVWR by a few hundred (300-400) lbs. Note: I don't normally expect to fully load the travel trailer. At most I'm thinking 1k lbs for my four wheeler and 1k lbs for any additional gear. With those figures I'm guessing I'm at roughly 6.6k-7k lbs on the travel trailer. Assuming I could reduce the hitch weight to 12% of the true loaded weight I'm figuring that would be a hitch weight of 792 (12% of 6,600 lbs, factoring in 420 additional pounds from the Unloaded trailer weight plus 2k lbs for gear and a four wheeler). Our math works out to be 7300-5900-100-792=508 leftover for items I can put in the vehicle. That means I'm right at my GVWR - I live in Wisconsin and don't plan on towing in the mountains in the future. Can you tow at a near maximum GVWR safely with 12% of the trailer weight on the tongue with a weight distribution hitch?

Edit: if this is too big, can you please recommend another toy hauler that will fit at least 1, 1klbs four wheeler and have a queen sized bed?
28 REPLIES 28

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
My many years on this site has shown me it only takes 1 person that says "sure, you can tow that, I have the same thing".
Then the OP convinces themselves that they can do it.

Tahoes can tow a boat or small open trailer.
Their wheelbase is too short to tow any decent amount of weight.

But go ahead and hook up and come back and tell us if the trailer started pushing you around when you get up to speed.

I have been told I am in the "conservative" camp, but then again, I have enough truck to hook up to any toy hauler made, so I don't mind being in that camp.

100% agree. I spent many years throwing good money after bad trying to make undersized tow vehicles work before changing camps. Much of that time was spent defending my choices on here and justifying them to others. After getting my DRW, I realized that nothing substitutes a proper tow rig. Op is setting themselves up for a miserable experience, and an unsafe one if conditions aren't favorable.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
My many years on this site has shown me it only takes 1 person that says "sure, you can tow that, I have the same thing".
Then the OP convinces themselves that they can do it.

Tahoes can tow a boat or small open trailer.
Their wheelbase is too short to tow any decent amount of weight.

But go ahead and hook up and come back and tell us if the trailer started pushing you around when you get up to speed.

I have been told I am in the "conservative" camp, but then again, I have enough truck to hook up to any toy hauler made, so I don't mind being in that camp.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Just so it's clear a weight distributing hitch does not increase the weight you can tow. It pushes the weight foward and does not increase what you can put on the tong of your bumber pull. Note: GVWR is your safe towing weight and your brakes on your T.V. = Tow vehicle can only help so much.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

greatnate
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All - thanks again for all of the responses. I have since realized that my preliminary assumptions and calculations may be incorrect. Can someone check my math here and let me know if I'm wrong?

My previous math of the tongue weight was based on using a 15% of GVWR assumption. My understanding is that you don't necessarily need 15% of tongue weight to prevent sway. My new understanding is that you can have as little as 10% tongue weight to keep it from swaying (especially since I'm planning on using a WDH with anti-sway built in).

New Math (Keeping the Same trailer, but changing some assumptions):
The Trailer is advertised as a Unloaded weight of 4,180 - I think it's safe to add about 320 extra pounds once the propane is added for a true UVW of 4,500 I would then add 1k for a 4 wheeler, 500 lbs for water, and 1k lbs for extra gear that we would haul with us. That gives us a normal operating weight of 7k lbs, take 10% of that gives us 700 lbs plus 100 lbs for the weight distributing hitch gives us 800 lbs plus family weight of 575-600lbs gives us realistic cargo usage of 1,400 - going back to our Tahoe's GVWR calculation is that we have 7,300lbs GVWR minus curb weight of 5,900 gives us 1,400 cargo capacity. Now that means that nearly fully loaded we will be at capacity. If we aren't towing with water in the tanks (I don't think we really ever will) that leaves us under the maximum.

Now I'm thinking it's definitely do-able. And hey if it isn't I guess I'll just upgrade to a truck. Can anyone spot check my math and reasoning?

greatnate
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
I've been where the OP is. I destroyed 3 transmissions on a 1500 towing at or just over the max and it was not a pleasant drive. If you do go for it you'll definitely need a WD hitch, load leveling won't transfer weight adequately. Suggest the Equalizer brand hitch as it has built in sway control. I'd say it will work, you'll be fighting weight constantly though, not able to bring everything, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Thanks for the recommendation on the WDH.

greatnate
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
I'll give you 10-1 odds you will be over on some of the specs when you actually load up to travel.

Also, how much ongoing effort are you going to want to put into trying to stay light? Either you are going to risk towing over the limits or it's going to be constantly playing in the back of your mind.

Thanks for your insight - I'm thinking a few of my estimates were a bit too conservative too. I'll post a new analysis with some more information I gathered.

greatnate
Explorer
Explorer
pennysmom09 wrote:
We learned quickly that towing our 5th wheel with a F-250 was adequate but at the max. Once we switched to the F-350 towing was fun. So you have to decide whether you want adequate or ease and enjoyment. It wasnโ€™t fun for us being stressed when we drove through the PA mountains. When we back with the new truck we were much more adventurous and relaxed.

That's definitely a good point - to me the trips won't be much more than in state travel and definitely no mountains in Wisconsin. It sounds like towing near GVWR is acceptable just not enjoyable. My thoughts are to try it with the Tahoe and then upgrade if necessary to make it "fun". Thanks

greatnate
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I had a โ€˜01, โ€˜07 and โ€˜15 Tahoe and wouldnโ€™t pull that trailer or try to lift that weight. Six thousand pounds was my comfort maximum.

Thanks for your input - did you have the HD cooling/towing package on all your tahoes?

greatnate
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Welcome greatnate!
Realize a lot of the responses youโ€™ll get here are from folks who are ultra conservative with capacities.
I wouldnโ€™t hesitate to tow that with your tahoe. But realize that youโ€™ll be at the upper end of what is reasonable two tow and itโ€™ll do fine around the Midwest as long as youโ€™re not trying to keep up with your โ€œ buddyโ€ in a hopped up diesel, lol.
I would be more apprehensive if you were pulling mountain grades, Southwest summer temps, major head winds across the plains and/or high altitude.
Otherwise trailer brakes and a wdh, watch your trans temp, vehicle maint up to date, fill rear tires to max and go camping!

Thank you for your thoughts - I'm thinking that between this camper and the Forest River Wildwood 190RT they would be two decent options - I know the Tahoe isn't the best tow rig out there but I do think it's reasonable for my use.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I've been where the OP is. I destroyed 3 transmissions on a 1500 towing at or just over the max and it was not a pleasant drive. If you do go for it you'll definitely need a WD hitch, load leveling won't transfer weight adequately. Suggest the Equalizer brand hitch as it has built in sway control. I'd say it will work, you'll be fighting weight constantly though, not able to bring everything, etc.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We learned quickly that towing our 5th wheel with a F-250 was adequate but at the max. Once we switched to the F-350 towing was fun. So you have to decide whether you want adequate or ease and enjoyment. It wasnโ€™t fun for us being stressed when we drove through the PA mountains. When we back with the new truck we were much more adventurous and relaxed.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'll give you 10-1 odds you will be over on some of the specs when you actually load up to travel.

Also, how much ongoing effort are you going to want to put into trying to stay light? Either you are going to risk towing over the limits or it's going to be constantly playing in the back of your mind.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, if I tell you it's alright, you are just going to do it 'cause I said it was okay?? ha, ha...

In the end, YOU are the one that is in control of your actions. In the end, YOU are the one that has to decide this. In the end, it does not matter what any of us goofs on the interweb say, as it's not our "A" that has to do it..

Have I towed over GVWR with a 1/2 ton truck before? Of course I have... Ask how many 3/4 ton trucks are over GVWR towing some of the things they tow... But, it's okay for them, because it's not a 1/2 ton.. ha, ha...

Stop looking for justification to do something, you obviously want to do, on an open internet forum on the interweb..

Until you go out and do it and find out for yourself how it feels and tows, and decide from there, no one here is going to "guarantee" you anything.. ๐Ÿ™‚

I say this with all respect to you trying to find answers to questions you don't know.. But, sometimes you have to start in the shallow end of the pool and dip your toes in first before you climb up on the high dive and dive in head first?? ๐Ÿ™‚

I'd tow your combo, but it probably won't be that much fun... I've been camping, towing and doing this RV thing since I was a kid back in the early 70's and still around to speak of it..

All I can say is dip your "toe" or go for the "high dive".... Your choice..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, great, I believe I did so. If you hit me and are overweight, case closed...you lose.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad