Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can I tow this? Rig Setup with statistics here
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Can I tow this? Rig Setup with statistics here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
greatnate

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Welcome greatnate!
Realize a lot of the responses you’ll get here are from folks who are ultra conservative with capacities.
I wouldn’t hesitate to tow that with your tahoe. But realize that you’ll be at the upper end of what is reasonable two tow and it’ll do fine around the Midwest as long as you’re not trying to keep up with your “ buddy” in a hopped up diesel, lol.
I would be more apprehensive if you were pulling mountain grades, Southwest summer temps, major head winds across the plains and/or high altitude.
Otherwise trailer brakes and a wdh, watch your trans temp, vehicle maint up to date, fill rear tires to max and go camping!

Thank you for your thoughts - I'm thinking that between this camper and the Forest River Wildwood 190RT they would be two decent options - I know the Tahoe isn't the best tow rig out there but I do think it's reasonable for my use.

greatnate

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

I had a ‘01, ‘07 and ‘15 Tahoe and wouldn’t pull that trailer or try to lift that weight. Six thousand pounds was my comfort maximum.

Thanks for your input - did you have the HD cooling/towing package on all your tahoes?

greatnate

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennysmom09 wrote:

We learned quickly that towing our 5th wheel with a F-250 was adequate but at the max. Once we switched to the F-350 towing was fun. So you have to decide whether you want adequate or ease and enjoyment. It wasn’t fun for us being stressed when we drove through the PA mountains. When we back with the new truck we were much more adventurous and relaxed.

That's definitely a good point - to me the trips won't be much more than in state travel and definitely no mountains in Wisconsin. It sounds like towing near GVWR is acceptable just not enjoyable. My thoughts are to try it with the Tahoe and then upgrade if necessary to make it "fun". Thanks

greatnate

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I'll give you 10-1 odds you will be over on some of the specs when you actually load up to travel.

Also, how much ongoing effort are you going to want to put into trying to stay light? Either you are going to risk towing over the limits or it's going to be constantly playing in the back of your mind.

Thanks for your insight - I'm thinking a few of my estimates were a bit too conservative too. I'll post a new analysis with some more information I gathered.

greatnate

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nayther wrote:

I've been where the OP is. I destroyed 3 transmissions on a 1500 towing at or just over the max and it was not a pleasant drive. If you do go for it you'll definitely need a WD hitch, load leveling won't transfer weight adequately. Suggest the Equalizer brand hitch as it has built in sway control. I'd say it will work, you'll be fighting weight constantly though, not able to bring everything, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Thanks for the recommendation on the WDH.

greatnate

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey All - thanks again for all of the responses. I have since realized that my preliminary assumptions and calculations may be incorrect. Can someone check my math here and let me know if I'm wrong?

My previous math of the tongue weight was based on using a 15% of GVWR assumption. My understanding is that you don't necessarily need 15% of tongue weight to prevent sway. My new understanding is that you can have as little as 10% tongue weight to keep it from swaying (especially since I'm planning on using a WDH with anti-sway built in).

New Math (Keeping the Same trailer, but changing some assumptions):
The Trailer is advertised as a Unloaded weight of 4,180 - I think it's safe to add about 320 extra pounds once the propane is added for a true UVW of 4,500 I would then add 1k for a 4 wheeler, 500 lbs for water, and 1k lbs for extra gear that we would haul with us. That gives us a normal operating weight of 7k lbs, take 10% of that gives us 700 lbs plus 100 lbs for the weight distributing hitch gives us 800 lbs plus family weight of 575-600lbs gives us realistic cargo usage of 1,400 - going back to our Tahoe's GVWR calculation is that we have 7,300lbs GVWR minus curb weight of 5,900 gives us 1,400 cargo capacity. Now that means that nearly fully loaded we will be at capacity. If we aren't towing with water in the tanks (I don't think we really ever will) that leaves us under the maximum.

Now I'm thinking it's definitely do-able. And hey if it isn't I guess I'll just upgrade to a truck. Can anyone spot check my math and reasoning?

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just so it's clear a weight distributing hitch does not increase the weight you can tow. It pushes the weight foward and does not increase what you can put on the tong of your bumber pull. Note: GVWR is your safe towing weight and your brakes on your T.V. = Tow vehicle can only help so much.

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My many years on this site has shown me it only takes 1 person that says "sure, you can tow that, I have the same thing".
Then the OP convinces themselves that they can do it.

Tahoes can tow a boat or small open trailer.
Their wheelbase is too short to tow any decent amount of weight.

But go ahead and hook up and come back and tell us if the trailer started pushing you around when you get up to speed.

I have been told I am in the "conservative" camp, but then again, I have enough truck to hook up to any toy hauler made, so I don't mind being in that camp.

2019 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lincster wrote:

My many years on this site has shown me it only takes 1 person that says "sure, you can tow that, I have the same thing".
Then the OP convinces themselves that they can do it.

Tahoes can tow a boat or small open trailer.
Their wheelbase is too short to tow any decent amount of weight.

But go ahead and hook up and come back and tell us if the trailer started pushing you around when you get up to speed.

I have been told I am in the "conservative" camp, but then again, I have enough truck to hook up to any toy hauler made, so I don't mind being in that camp.

100% agree. I spent many years throwing good money after bad trying to make undersized tow vehicles work before changing camps. Much of that time was spent defending my choices on here and justifying them to others. After getting my DRW, I realized that nothing substitutes a proper tow rig. Op is setting themselves up for a miserable experience, and an unsafe one if conditions aren't favorable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Can I tow this? Rig Setup with statistics here
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.