Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can I tow this? Rig Setup with statistics here
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Can I tow this? Rig Setup with statistics here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a ‘01, ‘07 and ‘15 Tahoe and wouldn’t pull that trailer or try to lift that weight. Six thousand pounds was my comfort maximum.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

greatnate

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

greatnate wrote:

jshupe wrote:

With 22" aftermarket wheels, you may want to check both the wheel and tire capacities as well. They're usually lower as your aspect ratio goes down. It's likely you derated your tow vehicle with that mod.

Shoot - yeah I didn't think of purchasing a toy hauler when I bought the Tahoe (I bought it with the wheels on there already). The maximum load rating on the tire is 2,337lbs per tire. Can you or someone who knows more about that than I do explain if that is enough? I'm thinking yes because the tires would be rated for even higher than the axle rating (axle rating in the rear is 4100lbs, front is even less).

That's one rating - what is the rating for the wheels? What make/model are they?

Hmm yeah I looked and couldn't find any branding on them... any thoughts on how I could find that out?

greatnate

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

greatnate wrote:

jshupe wrote:

greatnate wrote:

jshupe wrote:

With 22" aftermarket wheels, you may want to check both the wheel and tire capacities as well. They're usually lower as your aspect ratio goes down. It's likely you derated your tow vehicle with that mod.

Shoot - yeah I didn't think of purchasing a toy hauler when I bought the Tahoe (I bought it with the wheels on there already). The maximum load rating on the tire is 2,337lbs per tire. Can you or someone who knows more about that than I do explain if that is enough? I'm thinking yes because the tires would be rated for even higher than the axle rating (axle rating in the rear is 4100lbs, front is even less).

That's one rating - what is the rating for the wheels? What make/model are they?

Hmm yeah I looked and couldn't find any branding on them... any thoughts on how I could find that out?

I found the brand and called the manufacturer, they are built as OEM Replacements, and are actually rated to be slightly higher than the OEM spec. In this case they are rated at 2,200lbs per wheel and therefore are rated at 4,400 for the rear axle and the rear axle is only rated to 4,100lbs. I think it's fair to say the wheels are good to go based on the load rating.

greatnate

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alright everyone we have determined that the wheels and tires are safe to haul whatever the OEM equipment is. That being said can anyone advise me on if it is alright to tow at or slightly over (300-400 lbs) over the GVWR on generally flat ground in Wisconsin?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome greatnate!
Realize a lot of the responses you’ll get here are from folks who are ultra conservative with capacities.
I wouldn’t hesitate to tow that with your tahoe. But realize that you’ll be at the upper end of what is reasonable two tow and it’ll do fine around the Midwest as long as you’re not trying to keep up with your “ buddy” in a hopped up diesel, lol.
I would be more apprehensive if you were pulling mountain grades, Southwest summer temps, major head winds across the plains and/or high altitude.
Otherwise trailer brakes and a wdh, watch your trans temp, vehicle maint up to date, fill rear tires to max and go camping!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, great, I believe I did so. If you hit me and are overweight, case closed...you lose.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, if I tell you it's alright, you are just going to do it 'cause I said it was okay?? ha, ha...

In the end, YOU are the one that is in control of your actions. In the end, YOU are the one that has to decide this. In the end, it does not matter what any of us goofs on the interweb say, as it's not our "A" that has to do it..

Have I towed over GVWR with a 1/2 ton truck before? Of course I have... Ask how many 3/4 ton trucks are over GVWR towing some of the things they tow... But, it's okay for them, because it's not a 1/2 ton.. ha, ha...

Stop looking for justification to do something, you obviously want to do, on an open internet forum on the interweb..

Until you go out and do it and find out for yourself how it feels and tows, and decide from there, no one here is going to "guarantee" you anything.. [emoticon]

I say this with all respect to you trying to find answers to questions you don't know.. But, sometimes you have to start in the shallow end of the pool and dip your toes in first before you climb up on the high dive and dive in head first?? [emoticon]

I'd tow your combo, but it probably won't be that much fun... I've been camping, towing and doing this RV thing since I was a kid back in the early 70's and still around to speak of it..

All I can say is dip your "toe" or go for the "high dive".... Your choice..

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll give you 10-1 odds you will be over on some of the specs when you actually load up to travel.

Also, how much ongoing effort are you going to want to put into trying to stay light? Either you are going to risk towing over the limits or it's going to be constantly playing in the back of your mind.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/20 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We learned quickly that towing our 5th wheel with a F-250 was adequate but at the max. Once we switched to the F-350 towing was fun. So you have to decide whether you want adequate or ease and enjoyment. It wasn’t fun for us being stressed when we drove through the PA mountains. When we back with the new truck we were much more adventurous and relaxed.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been where the OP is. I destroyed 3 transmissions on a 1500 towing at or just over the max and it was not a pleasant drive. If you do go for it you'll definitely need a WD hitch, load leveling won't transfer weight adequately. Suggest the Equalizer brand hitch as it has built in sway control. I'd say it will work, you'll be fighting weight constantly though, not able to bring everything, etc.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Can I tow this? Rig Setup with statistics here
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.