cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dicor Roof Sealant. Do I need to use the Part 1 Cleaner?

Brockc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I need to seal my TT roof. I never used the Dicor cleaner in the past. Just Dawn detergent and water.

The "Dicor System" calls for the part 1 cleaner so the sealant will work correctly, etc..

Should I actually use this, or can I just give it a good cleaning with some detergent and water?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Second, I wrapped the entire trailer with the very thin plastic sheeting as Dicor says the activator/cleaner can stain the sides of the unit.

I'm sure there are many of you who have used the Step 1 activator and I'm hoping to hear some feedback from you...

The wrapping the RV with plastic seems like a time-consuming step. If needed, fine. But if not really needed, that would be good to know also.

If I'm cleaning the roof with the activator and then I'm immediately cleaning the sides with soap and water and a brush, is the plastic really necessary?

Have any of you NOT used the plastic all around the sides and you ended up with stains/etc?

I'd love to hear from people who have actually used the product.

Thanks!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:
no, Lap sealant is so sticky and gooey that as long as there is no obvious dirt, or a layer of skum it will stick. if you are happy with your soap and water cleaning job then you most likely have cleaned it good enough. I have never prepped a surface with special cleaners, maybe rubbing alcohol, but usually just car wash soap or just windex and it always seals.

He's not talking about lap sealant, he is putting some protectant layer over his whole roof.

OP, most of us have never wasted our time with anything like that. The Dicor roofing material lasts longer than your RV will. The only thing that NEEDS maintenance is your lap sealant/caulked seams. Anything else is just to make yourself feel better.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
no, Lap sealant is so sticky and gooey that as long as there is no obvious dirt, or a layer of skum it will stick. if you are happy with your soap and water cleaning job then you most likely have cleaned it good enough. I have never prepped a surface with special cleaners, maybe rubbing alcohol, but usually just car wash soap or just windex and it always seals.

Brockc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I'll get the materials and plan for a day.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Brockc wrote:
Hello. I need to seal my TT roof. I never used the Dicor cleaner in the past. Just Dawn detergent and water.

The "Dicor System" calls for the part 1 cleaner so the sealant will work correctly, etc..

Should I actually use this, or can I just give it a good cleaning with some detergent and water?
Thanks

I used this product last spring with great success. First, it is imperative to use the cleaner as it also acts as an activator for the sealer. Second, I wrapped the entire trailer with the very thin plastic sheeting as Dicor says the activator/cleaner can stain the sides of the unit. Don't forget to take off the AC shroud, reefer shroud and anything else you don't want the sealer on. After cleaning the roof I removed the plastic immediately. I went around all of the openings with a brush at least twice. Finally rolled the entire roof 3 times with the proper amount of time between coats. Also went around the edge of the roof where I couldn't roll with a brush 2 or 3 times. Took an entire day with almost no help after putting the plastic on. Roof looked great then and still does after ~16 months in the AZ sun. Don't try to cheat, do it once, do it right and move on to something else.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Brockc
Explorer
Explorer
I want to clean and apply a roll on sealant/coating to the entire roof.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Can you be a little more specific in what you are actually sealing? Vents, seams, entire roof? I would have told you that denatured alcohol is what I clean my rubber roof with before sealing. As for outside edges near the siding, I use some green painters tape.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Brockc
Explorer
Explorer
Another question.... watching video on the Dicor cleaning/application system, it suggests wrapping the RV in plastic prior to applying the cleaner.
Is this really necessary?
This plastic wrapping is the reason I haven't done the Dicor system before.

Thanks

Brockc
Explorer
Explorer
OK..good enough for me. I'll order the cleaner today. Thanks

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Use the cleaner. Do it once, do it right.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaner. Same when using Eternabond tape.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the cleaner IMHO
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun