cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Service Trailer Brake System message

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
On my lunch break today, I drove my truck to the store, which is 5 minutes away. While driving the "service trailer brake system " message chimed and came up on the dash. It did this several times. I then drove 5 minutes back to work and it happened several more times. When I went home after work (about a 30 minute drive) it never happened. I was not towing anything. Truck is a 2014 Silverado with factory brake controller. It's never done this before today. Has anyone experienced this? Should I do anything before I tow my TT end of next week? Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
My 09 had that message. I purchased the new module for the break control that is mounted on the drivers rear frame rail. Back a few years ago it was like 80$. Now on Amazonโ€™s like 30$. It fixed my 09 issues and Iโ€™m still driving it. So that could be the issue, but first make sure the 7 pin connector is clean and dry. Also make sure along the harness that itโ€™s not damaged in some way.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Particular to the 2016 Chevy Iโ€™m currently driving, some 7 pin plugs just donโ€™t seat as well as others in the receptacle on the truck.
One particular trailer, there are several that I use, will almost never stay โ€œconnectedโ€ unless I tape it in tight to the receptacle. While others with different trucks have no issue with that plug.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to deliver for a company that had Fords and I would get that message every so often and it appeared to be a short, this can happen to any brand.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
When I got that message on my 2008, it got replaced under warranty.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should look at the Duramax forums. Lots of advice on that forum. It is probably not a dirty connector, maybe a corroded wire, or a steering stabilizer or a number of other things. I have only had that come on when connected to a trailer and Dielectric grease worked great.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY, cleaning my 2015 Tahoe did the trick for me. No issues yet on the 2019 Silverado.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I've owned a 2012 Ford, a 2015 Chevy and I currently have a 2017 Ram. I never had any issues with the connector on the Ford or Ram but on the Chevy, I would get "trailer is no longer connected" at some point in my travels every time I towed my RV. I cleaned everything numerous times. Nothing made a difference. I never learned what the issue was but it sure was annoying.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with all of the above, but FWIW, on my 2009 Silverado my experience was:

- Water gets into the connector for whatever reason and causes the service message
- After drying, it goes away.
- Service message is also triggered if the equipment gets dirt, debris etc along with the water

- However, after a while, the factory controller has just had enough and dies. It can be replaced / fixed but you may want to look into whether your controller can (even if repaired) adequately deal with whatever "modern" trailers you'll be pulling.
- I can't recall too many specifics, but my factory controller (from my 2009 model built in 2008) even when "repaired" wouldn't work with the electric over hydraulic brakes on my new 2018 boat trailer...it was roughly the same cost to get a new P3 installed as it was to get the fix done to the factory controller...so went with new. My 2009 is now my "work" truck and it still shows the "service trailer connector" message, but it's meaningless since the new controller is what's connected to the outlet.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
Probably corroded wiring shorting out somewhere.

Start with cleaning and inspecting the trailer connector.

yup. Make sure it is dry and no mud/dirt in it. What I've found is that after rainstorms or a good wash water can enter the connector and cause the service message. Once I blow it dry, message gone.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Probably corroded wiring shorting out somewhere.

Start with cleaning and inspecting the trailer connector.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
The times up meter has run out on your trailer towing module, go to the dealer and give them more money. Probably corroded wiring shorting out somewhere.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Gremlins
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s not just GMs that have this glitch. But think Iโ€™ve seen it more in the โ€˜14 and โ€˜16 Chevys Iโ€™ve had than others.
Itโ€™s never been an issue when I hook up later.
Just test it with your camper first before you actually need the trailer brakes I spose.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold