cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Circut breaker question

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
My granddaughter who lives in Las Vegas has a travel trailer with one A/C. she bought another A/C to plug in in the trailer but it tripped the circuit breaker on 30 amp. If she used an adapter and plugged into 50amp would that cause damage to the trailers electrical system.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
14 REPLIES 14

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
With no available 120v outlet on the panel then yes she can get adapters to do what she needs.

1 50A to 30A adapter to plug the trailer into the 50A outlet.
Link to 50 to 30 amp adapter
Then a 30A to 20A adapter for an extension cord to the second AC.
Link to 30 to 20 amp adapter
and finally a 12g extension cord. the shorter the better.
Link to 12G outdoor cord

She plugs the trailer into the 50amp adapter at the post.
She plugs the extension cord into the 30amp adapter that is plugged into the 30amp outlet at the post.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, I have no main breaker, I have three breakers to turn off all power to rig in the breaker panel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
No main breaker is required. Main is required if it requires more then six operations to disconnect power.
My Pace Arrow does not have a main!

At one time that was NEC code for houses but what I remember was 5 operations max to disconnect power. Common setup was Range, Stove, Dryer, maybe one other 220 appliance then another 220 breaker feeding ALL the 120V circuits. 5 motions, turned off power.

Not sure that is still allowed by code.

None the less, If the Pace arrow has no main breaker it is definitely in the minority, the common WFCO panel as a 30 or 50A main breaker feeding the panel. And the WFCO is used in the vast majority of trailers built in the last 20 years, The others are similar with a main then the other breakers.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Good chance that the rig has no main 30 amp breaker.

No main breaker means no breaker panel, which means no power cord.

enblethen wrote:
No main breaker is required. Main is required if it requires more then six operations to disconnect power.

So, you are saying there is no way to turn off all 120v power in your Pace Arrow other than to go out to the power pedestal and flip its breaker? I find that hard to believe.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input, Your information is the same as I gave my granddaughter. Just talked to her, problem is there is no 110 outlet on the post outside her trailer. Youall have a cool summer.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

Really? What RVs have you been looking at? Every RV I've ever owned, worked on, or looked at in the last 20 years has had a main breaker.

OP, there's nothing wrong with plugging a 30 amp RV into a 50 amp outlet using an adapter. Many people do it all the time. However, it won't help the situation at all. Any load above 30 amps will still trip the main RV breaker.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
All RV have a main Breaker.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Best bet is power the second AC with an available extra outlet on the pedestal. If there isn't an additional 110 outlet, something like this can be plugged into an available 50 amp plug on the pedestal. Since 50 amps of power will be available consider extension cord with a 20 amp breaker will protect the expensive A/C.

https://smile.amazon.com/EPICORD-Adapter-TT-30P-Female-handle/dp/B07KYKWP6B/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=50+amp+rv+splitter&qid=1590775993&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTUNJT0pHTVhKQ1Q4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDY3NzI1REk0R1ozTlAxNTYwJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MjQ0ODEzSFNJUDIzWkJaQzg0JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like has been said, the 30 amp breaker inside the trailer will trip so it won't work. Like has been said, the only two solutions are to run an extension cord from the power pedestal to the second A/C, or to upgrade the trailer's power supply from 30 amp to 50 amp. Option two is neither cheap nor easy.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
"If she used an adapter and plugged into 50amp would that cause damage to the trailers electrical system."
No, the input breaker on the trailer system would be a 30 amp breaker and would trip if the trailer (2nd AC unit) plus other things tried to pull more than the 30 amps.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
She could run an extension cord from the power pedestal to the new AC unit. Needs a healthy 312 extension cord for best results.
Not a good idea to try to overload existing trailer electrical system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

AppFire
Explorer
Explorer
Would not be good for it. The TT is rated for 30 amp service. If you want 50 amp usage you would need to change out the 30amp box for a 50 amp box and do some rewiring. Her solution to avoid that is to plug in the new AC directly to the power stand outside on a seperate circuit. Most power poles have a 30 amp, 50 amp and also a 15 amp service there on the pole.
2017 Silverado Crew cab LT Max tow package
2003 Jayco Qwest 244