Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corona Camping

Bwill55
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All-

I am seriously considering renting an RV this year. I am determined to not lose the entire summer sitting at home.

1. Am I crazy?
2. Is there a site that can help me plan out a trip. Specifically a one stop for what parks and campgrounds are open? I think this is the biggest challenge is figuring out where you can even go. I am leaning towards the Dakota's, Wyoming, etc. Those states have the least restrictions.

Thank you for your help.
18 REPLIES 18

Bwill55
Explorer
Explorer
GunnyJ wrote:
Sorry to hear that you would of been better of with the RV because you could of stopped as many times as needed to rest and you would or been right at home in the RV. Good Luck & Stay Safe

I think it would have been great too. My wife has never been comfortable driving large vehicles.

Thank you for the well wish. Looking forward to the trip. Anything to get us away from reality for a while.

GunnyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that you would of been better of with the RV because you could of stopped as many times as needed to rest and you would or been right at home in the RV. Good Luck & Stay Safe
GUNNY J
LYNDA & Our German Shepherd Dog Rocky .
2020 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCD Wet
2004 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 SRW
If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!

Bwill55
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: Thank you for all of the suggestions. I was out voted this weekend and we have decided to fly to Montana and then rent a car. My wife is not comfortable driving an RV and I would be naive to think I could do it all myself.

Now if Montana would open. I was shocked to see they require a 2 week quarantine for visitors. That is slated to end today so I will be checking to see if it is extended or lifted. We still have a couple of months so hopefully things will be somewhat normal by then.

Bwill55
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Rent one and go. Campgrounds are open. You will be by yourself even whenparked for the night or a few days. The Virus isn't as bad as it's being made out to be!

Have fun!

Amen on the last part!

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea. You might consider heading north to the UP of Michigan. Great Lakes on three sides ,mostly forest it will be cooler during the heat of summer. Also many state and national forests but you would need to check on campgrounds.available.

It is one of our favorite places to go.
2004 Born Free class c

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are generally weekenders but did a long-planned trip to Yellowstone/Tetons 5/21-5/29. Originally planned to stay in West Yellowstone MT, but with the west gate still closed we moved to Jackson, WY at the "last minute."

We stayed at several places over the 8 nights. All were private as the public/NFS/NPS campgrounds are still closed. As always, we chat with our neighbors when we arrive. One of the couples we met and chatted with most often was in a rental class C with 7yo twin girls. They were having a blast and the girls loved playing with our 8yo. We met them in Jackson WY and they were from Denver. We met another young family from Chicago, and another from north LA county.

Everyone we met was out and about because they were sick of COVID and wanted to get their kids out of the house. My wife and I are both medical - working at local hospitals. One couple we met on this trip were teachers. One couple was drug reps. Everyone was sick of COVID containment and were getting their kids wiggles out, including us.

I've had best luck looking at campgrounds Facebook for current status as to if they are open or not. Many of the smaller private campgrounds do not update their websites often but Facebook is usually current. It seems many/most KOA are still open and they are easy to search and reserve online.

My vote is proceed with your trip you'll love it!!

Edit: since you are basically a beginner, I would suggest you look at KOA campgrounds as they are generally open in the states you are looking at while the public CG are generally still closed. KOA also generally have hookups, stores, experienced staff, clean bathrooms with showers, etc.
Patrick

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think most privately owned campgrounds are open. Many are doing online reservation and payment, or by phone and assign you a site and you never meet face to face with anyone. It seems the campgrounds with no access or dayuse only or seasonal camper use only are city, county, state parks and forestry, coe etc. Some are open, some are not. If you use the rv parky site you should be able to find something wherever you decide to stop. Some are open, but facilities such as pools, restroom/showers/laundry are not open.

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
I found last week you need to personally check each campground. One was filled because every other site was closed and the other was open but only for monthly and long term. They were both county campgrounds.
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Rent one and go. Campgrounds are open. You will be by yourself even whenparked for the night or a few days. The Virus isn't as bad as it's being made out to be!

Have fun!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Should be lots of dispersed camping sites in the West.

Still can't get into the National Forests in California. The desert is WIDE open in SoCal and Arizona...and 110*. You can have 1,000 acres all to yourself out there.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“The park is open but the park isn't letting weekenders come in at this time.“

Oh boy! Discriminating based on length of stay. What’s next? Age? Race? Hair color?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also check campgroundreviews.com. They are staying pretty much up to date on open parks and you can check park websites.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Bwill55
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Couple sites to get you started.
To find units for rent if you dont have an ElMonte close by,,,
***Link Removed***
And for finding campgrounds,,,,
***Link Removed***

Edit add, I had forgotten about this but,,,
https://www.campendium.com/
has a series of pages dedicated to whats open in different areas.

Great links. I will check them all out tonight.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Biggest problem I see is finding an online source for open parks that is up to date. It's likely a moving target and you will have to call any park to find out if they are open and what restrictions they may have if they are open.

Example: We currently have a seasonal site for the summer. The park is open but the park isn't letting weekenders come in at this time.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV