Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: IF I USE A GREEN MESQUITE LIMB IN A GAS BARBECUE
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> IF I USE A GREEN MESQUITE LIMB IN A GAS BARBECUE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The inverted V Burner shields over the twin burners do or do not create enough protection against plugging?

The convience of gas with the flavor of mesquite is a made in heaven grade dream.

But

Is it practical?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure, use a box with holes to put the wood in. That keeps the crud out of the burner orifices. You can do that and put the box under the grate and free up more space for cooking.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SUPER IDEA, SIR!

Thank you.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the unit has 2 burners, put the wood in an old pan on one side, with only that burner going, on low.
You will slow cook then on the other side if you can keep the overall temp down to 300 or less.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrap in aluminum foil....cut a few 2" slits in top of foil then place onver burner
Aluminum foil keeps ashes from falling out and clogging burner......slits allow the smaoke out

When done.......drop aluminum foil package in trash (after it has cooled down)

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like tilapia over hickory chips, but I've always done it by throwing soaked wood chips on hot charcoal briquettes. On a gas grill, since the wood isn't in direct contact with the heat source, how long does it take for the gas flame to get the chips smoking, prior to putting the meat on the gas grill? Do you experienced folks soak the wood chips, or not?

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chips of mesquite wrapped in a foil envelope on the grill will work better than a whole branch -- more surface area. Poke holes in the foil. You can soak the chips. I don't soak them -- I like a strong smoke taste. (I cook on a Big Green Egg grill/smoker, but I used to cook on a gas BBQ.)

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

On a gas grill, since the wood isn't in direct contact with the heat source, how long does it take for the gas flame to get the chips smoking, prior to putting the meat on the gas grill? Do you experienced folks soak the wood chips, or not?

That would depend on how far from the flame the foil packet is. My previous gas grill, a Charbroil brand grill had the burners covered by flavorizer tents, then the grate was a few inches above that. With a foil packet on the grate it would take a few minutes to start smoking. I haven't smoked on a gas grill in a long time, but it is effective. I've smoked ribs and boston butts on a gas grill. Not a flavorful as when cooked on a smoker, but still good.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Tech Issues.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smoker box for gas grills is what you seek..

like this.

[image]

HERE

Nothing more than a small box which holds wood chips, has a lid and/or sides with small perforated holes to limit the oxygen to prevent flames but allow the wood to smolder and smoke..

I have done something similar to this with a simple homemade metal box from scrap leftover sheetmetal (not galvanized please), left it open top. Took some small tree twigs and a few small splits of Maple and start it smoking with a torch..

Green wood however typically is difficult to light and the smoke will be much stronger to the point of being harsh "licking a used stove pipe" creosote taste if you are not careful. I also prefer less bark as it can cause some off flavors..

There are a lot of different ways to generate a good tasting smoke on a gas grill, Ama-zen smoking tubes are a good choice for smoking pellets (looks simular to pellets for pellet stoves but does not have artificial binders).

Smoking boxes are designed for wood chips but I suspect if you have small enough chunks/chips/kindling/splits of Mesquite it might work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> IF I USE A GREEN MESQUITE LIMB IN A GAS BARBECUE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.