cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric jack for 5 wheel goes up and not down

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
The jack stands that raises the front of the trailer up and down just goes up and not down. Worked fine in the morning next camp site won't go down. Checked the switch and it seems ok. Only 2 wires going to the motor. I tried jumping power to each one. One makes it going up the other it goes up very slow. Any ideas?
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs
23 REPLIES 23

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
snowpeke wrote:
Temporary? That's a full time fix!
It didn't sound like it to me, it sounded like you never found the problem, you just rewired directly to the motor? I always like to know why there's a problem and do what I can to fix it. But that's me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Temporary? That's a full time fix!
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good that your temporary fix works. Gives you a chance to trace down the problem at your leisure.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Now fixed. I got the motor tested and the switch tested both fine. The wiring had wires going from the switch to motor and to inside the trailer? So wired it directly from power to switch to motor and it works!
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Where is my relay!
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, if the switch and the motor are both "fine", it should work. How were they checked and determined to be "fine". Have you checked to see if there is voltage to the switch in both positions: "Retract" and "Extend"?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Please help the switch is fine the motor is fine hav them tested. Some wires go don't go into to inside of the trailer so I think there is a relay some where inside but I don't know where it is. This is a 2014 26.5 RLS jayco where are the relay?
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Help I have had the switch and the motor checked and are fine. Some wires go,to the switch and motor. Some go back into the trailer then come back out. There must be a bad relay some where in side.does anybody know where to look? I looked in the fuse box and did not see any relay looking like one you would see in a car. This is a 2014 jayco 26.5. Any help would be great.
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the latest had the motor and switch checked both OK some wires go from the switch to the motor and some go in the trailer so there must bea relay somewhere in side. Looked in the fuse compartment and did not see anything that looks likes a relay. I have a 2014 jayco 26.5 RLS 5th wheel. Any ideas where to look or is a trip to the RV repair shop?
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
snowpeke wrote:
Ok I replaced the switch and the same thing is there anything else besides the motor to replace?
Have you checked the gearbox and the bevel gears at the tops of the legs?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can test the motor before having to replace that.

What I did with the slide motor was to get at the two wires it has close to the motor, cutting the insulation on both. Then I used a portable charger with clamps and found that it turned one way and then the other way with the clamps reversed. So the motor was ok.

That left a wiring issue which turned out to be the switch in my case. It was tricky wiring the switch so it would work right.

The link above has links to trouble shooting videos for the jacks.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I replaced the switch and the same thing is there anything else besides the motor to replace?
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, depending on the size of the trailer, those leg motors are notoriously weak. Yours may well have given up the ghost. Try disconnecting the cross member and see if it will work with just one leg. Then try disconnecting the gearbox and see if the motor works better. You may have dry parts that just need to be lubed.

I replaced my single motor, which was slooooooow from the new, with a set of Bulldog motors and legs. A world of improvement. Worth every penny.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Voltage is fine and it's been slow since new.
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs