Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New truck first tow report. Good, Bad, Ugly
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > New truck first tow report. Good, Bad, Ugly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/30/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

NJRVer wrote:

Why do you type in blue?


Because he secretly wanted a Ford, however his DW made him by a GM.


Me thinks you hit the nail!


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL

UPstate,NY

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/30/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"The hottest the trany got was 282 climbing Sunset point"

I assume you meant 182 ???


My Ford will run high temps both oil and tranny (200-230), BUT I'm attributing that to the fact I have a bug screen in front of the grill so while air is still passing thru, just blocked some. My semi has a screen behind the grill but in front of all the rads-----see no problems with temps unless climbing a hill, 65*-75*, towing 2 -28' trailers and have 25,000-33,000 lbs of product (basically grossing between 65,000-80,000) or close behind another semi in front blocking air. Then the water temp climbs to 225-230 and "forward parachute" (engine fan) come on. Tho the semi is an auto, do not have temp readout for it, so cannot tell how hot that gets.


2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/30/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was actually referring to the new 10 speed Ford trans.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/30/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

25-26K with 2010 PALOMINO SABRE 30BHDS - APPROXIMATE DRY WEIGHT--8,105 LBS + truck and equipment, not close.


2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold


Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 05/30/20 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was actually referring to the new 10 speed Ford trans.
Yes the one that runs hot by design...
Translation : It has poor cooling, and we are fine with it that way.


The thing is, high heat is bad for the seals in trannys and really just about anything else.

Ford does not have some magical seals that are immune to heat. Overtime, seals will degrade. The hotter it runs, the faster it will happen.



Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.



Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 05/31/20 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

25-26K with 2010 PALOMINO SABRE 30BHDS - APPROXIMATE DRY WEIGHT--8,105 LBS + truck and equipment, not close.
Look at the pic in my profile

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/31/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was actually referring to the new 10 speed Ford trans.
Yes the one that runs hot by design...
Translation : It has poor cooling, and we are fine with it that way.


The thing is, high heat is bad for the seals in trannys and really just about anything else.

Ford does not have some magical seals that are immune to heat. Overtime, seals will degrade. The hotter it runs, the faster it will happen.


I am NOT saying it's bad I am saying I am very happy with 160's to low 170's in 100 degree temps at 35k combined.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 05/31/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was actually referring to the new 10 speed Ford trans.
Yes the one that runs hot by design...
Translation : It has poor cooling, and we are fine with it that way.


The thing is, high heat is bad for the seals in trannys and really just about anything else.

Ford does not have some magical seals that are immune to heat. Overtime, seals will degrade. The hotter it runs, the faster it will happen.


I am NOT saying it's bad I am saying I am very happy with 160's to low 170's in 100 degree temps at 35k combined.
We are on the same page

I disagree with Fords statement that It’s 10! Speed is designed to run hot


* This post was edited 05/31/20 10:04am by Huntindog *

ExxWhy

not here

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/08/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I apologize for a late report. I have been able to get the system to calibrate for the invisible trailer function by lying to the computer. My trailer is 35' from the camera on the back to the ball, a bit over 3' longer than the limit. The stitching of the image isn't perfect, but not bad. I need more experience with it to decide if I like the invisible view or just the straight rear view out of the trailer camera best.

I was very happy with the tow experience, rock solid. Nothing too taxing, some rolling hills in Ohio about 90 miles each way. A bit under 17K combined with a 2500. The 10 speed is sweeeeet!

buc1980

houston tx

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/09/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wander if the 2020 Ford 10 speed transmission will run hot like the 2017 and up.


2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > New truck first tow report. Good, Bad, Ugly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.