Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Solar controller tie in
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar controller tie in

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mtnman1000

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting ready to install a couple solar panels on my 28' Keystone Springdale and am trying to determine how to get the charging to to the front mounted 6V batteries. I was thinking of running the MC4 wiring down the fridge vent then to the wardrobe closet where the controller will be. From there my thought is to wire the controller to the 12V input lugs on the fridge. There is about a 23' run from there to the breakers (15 amp) then battery battery but I don't know the AWG of that wire.

Would this work OK? I figure if it's 8 AWG it get a 2.5 % drop. Also if I installed more than 2 100W panels, the breaker to fridge would be too small I think.

Outside of this I'd need to figure out how to get the controller in the front storage then charge cable tray from there to the batteries. That would be a bit out of my league though.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A solar controller needs ventilation. Will the controller receive adequate ventstion in a closet? Further, a solar controller should be mounted as close to the batteries as practical. How close is the closet to the batteries? A two percent drop is all you should tolerate. Six gauge to the batteries is better. You’ve complied with a solar wiring chart?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need a link to your floorplan. A utube of a 2013 28ft Springdale TT was for a bunkhouse model, didn't make it clear where the converter is, eg.

More info on that would help with your options. It would be better to run the controller in parallel with the converter than from the back of the fridge for amount of voltage drop.

Usual way to get wiring from tongue to front storage is drill hole in floor up front and go down and up to the tongue instead of going through the front cap.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told to use one of these breakers on the line into the controller: solar breakers. And 15 amp is too small. I got the type they show as a 40 amp with the lever. You can use it as an on/off switch too.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fridge breaker would be 120 volt so do not run your charge controller there.
You want as short of a wire run as possable so you should mount the solar panals on the front part of the roof, drop the wires down in conduit into a forward closit or bathroom. Mount the charge controler the forward storage compartment and then run those wires to the batteries.

When you shut off the main battery switch the solar should still be charging the batteries.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drop the notion of pre existing wiring convience. The critical path is from the solar controller to the battery where small losses can cause significant loss of battery charging. Mount the controller as close to the batteries as possible.

12V panels produce about 18V and that wiring can tolerate significant voltage drop w/o power (battery charging) loss if you're using a PWM type controller. MPPT controller are a different consideration.

The key paths are panels to controller and controller to batteries. The refer and it's DC wiring is not involved.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need to worry about distance between charge controller and batteries. You can purchase a MPPT controller with adjustable voltage or get a charge controller with separate voltage sense leads. Just make sure the wires are large enough to carry the current.
My controller is over 25 feet from my batteries and has separate voltage sense leads & is fully adjustable. Maintains the batteries correctly.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

mtnman1000

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the responses. Based on all this I will try and mount towards the front and use the front storage compartment. I'll have to find someone who understands the drilling and sealing piece. I've installed plenty of solar systems for off grid cabin use but don't want to compromise my rv.

Again, thanks everyone.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“My controller is over 25 feet from my batteries...”

That’s not the advice of WindyNation - “Mounting is optional but for best results, locate the charge controller as close as possible to the batteries and the batteries and charge controller as close to the panels as practical.”

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This: Entry gland

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar controller tie in
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.