cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I built shelves in a wardrobe for more storage.

We have two decent sized wardrobe closets in the truck camper. We use one for shirts, coats, hanging items. The other next to the stove has become a junk drawer where we just pile everything in it. Things would get forgotten in there. Out of sight, out of mind.
I went to the Orange Box store and purchased some 1x12 premium pine and a couple 1x2 premium pine to make the new shelves. Tools required were a table saw, chop saw, and jig saw. Our S&S camper has a spice rack next to the stove built into the cabinet. That made the decision for where to place the two shelve boards, 1 above, 1 below the spice rack. I had to cut a tapered fit on one side of the board and got a nice fit. I used the 1x2 boards to make corned supports and also a raised face for the shelves to block things from sliding outward on the shelf.
Now instead of an unsightly messy pile stuffed into the cabinet, we have 3 orderly shelves. Bottom shelf for foil, cellophane, parchment, Ziplok, etc... Middle for paper towels, toilet paper, cleaners, etc... Top shelf for Bath towels, toiletries.

VIDEO of project if interested.

Found this Before
26 REPLIES 26

cohendan
Explorer
Explorer
Impressive work though.

stevenal wrote:
So here's my no drill project. The horizontal pieces are intended to keep the supports pressed into the corners to prevent the whole thing from bouncing up. Thanks for the bullnose edge idea.

That looks nice! I'm going to add lights to each shelf level, 2 additional, operated by the existing light and switch at the top.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
So here's my no drill project. The horizontal pieces are intended to keep the supports pressed into the corners to prevent the whole thing from bouncing up. Thanks for the bullnose edge idea.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we bought our first popup my wife informed me that I was going to modify all of the shelves, drawers, and cabinets. I did a really nice job. Another popup got modified, then a Class C, and now 2 travel trailers. I wish I would have done a crappy job the first time and I would have had a lot less work to do. I hope that the current TT is around for a long time. She wants a place to store everything.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Just noticed I had a before picture/video of my plans with the wardrobe space. Archie included at no extra cost.
Wardrobe Before

Before

After

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those who like the idea of shelving in a wardrobe, there is a simple, low cost solution. BB&B, Amazon and numerous other vendors have canvas, hanging closet organizers in the range of $10 - $20. You can get them in all sorts of sizes and configurations. The canvas cubicles are great for rolled up clothing of all types. We left about 1/3 of the available space for traditional hangers and the other 2/3rds of the space is for the organizer and is really well packed with clothing.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I like the bullnose front edge, and used the idea. Helps hide my ragged saw cut on the shelf. Project is going well and should be finished when I get a few more hours to work on it.

MitchF150 wrote:
Yes, it's Steamboat Rock. Going there in August, so we might get the skitters too... Funny story too. Thanks. Mitch

As a side note, we went to a rally at Sunbanks Resort a few years back and really liked it. We also liked the Kettle Falls Campground.

stevenal wrote:
Very timely post. Thanks. Since we bought our camper in '18, my wife has been asking for shelves in the wardrobe. I've been slow to respond due to the thin paneling inside. I managed to find this video yesterday. I shared many of this lady's concerns, so I began my own no-drill solution. 2X4s will take up too much space, so I've got 2X2s in the back and 1X2s in the front. Unlike the video, I'll shape the shelves to fit around the supports so less space is wasted. It won't be anywhere near as pretty as Jeff's work, but I think It'll be functional. Starting with two shelves up high, but more can be added later if desired. Removable for trips where we really want to hang clothing, or for the next owner.

My setup is pretty easy to remove and solid with only 6 screws attaching inconspicuously into the TC framing, not the paneling. It can be easily removed if needed but I opted to go for a more permanent and solid install, rather than an easily removed install since this is a setup we both agree we want more than a wardrobe. Also, we've been using it this way for years so we're pretty confident there will be no going back. My brother is already thinking of copying the design in his S&S as he is doing something similar but with wire racks he hates. I spent about 75.00 on materials and about 2 hours measuring, cutting, installing. A fairly simple project. hope it works out for you. If you do have any detail questions, give me a hollar...

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, it's Steamboat Rock. Going there in August, so we might get the skitters too... Funny story too. Thanks. Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Very timely post. Thanks. Since we bought our camper in '18, my wife has been asking for shelves in the wardrobe. I've been slow to respond due to the thin paneling inside. I managed to find this video yesterday. I shared many of this lady's concerns, so I began my own no-drill solution. 2X4s will take up too much space, so I've got 2X2s in the back and 1X2s in the front. Unlike the video, I'll shape the shelves to fit around the supports so less space is wasted. It won't be anywhere near as pretty as Jeff's work, but I think It'll be functional. Starting with two shelves up high, but more can be added later if desired. Removable for trips where we really want to hang clothing, or for the next owner.

MitchF150 wrote:
Yep, pretty spoiled for space for sure.. Just can't get to the places you go with your TC! Even more spoiled with the Rockwood.. Mostly WA State Parks now and enjoy watching your adventures out in the boon docks!

But, even the state parks provide some nice scenery!

Mitch

By Golly that looks like Steamboat Rock. Funny story from there. We had my brother's daughter 12 or so at the time over in the TC with us when the mosquito spray truck came through and they wanted everyone to stay in their RV. We were in the TC but Kelli and niece were slicing onions. We all, including Charlie the cat, started crying from the onions. I hopped into the cab and drove us a mile out of the park and vented the TC out. Still laugh about it.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my wife still wears the skirts and some of them pretty long.
Tall wardrobe is on top of the MH list for our RVs.
My camper has slide out pantry and with basement can't complain about lack of storage.
Getting it above 6000lb was scary though

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, pretty spoiled for space for sure.. Just can't get to the places you go with your TC! Even more spoiled with the Rockwood.. Mostly WA State Parks now and enjoy watching your adventures out in the boon docks!

But, even the state parks provide some nice scenery!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.