cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lightest slider hitch?

Rye_a
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2020 SRW Ram 3500 mega cab (the cab is a godsend with 3 kids), and it only came in a short bed. With five of us riding in the truck and the desire to pull a decent sized toy hauler payload is an issue.

Considering my concerns about payload and the constraints of a short bed, can anyone tell me what the best lightweight options are for slider hitches?
23 REPLIES 23

Mike,

We do have room in the driveway for 60' with 50 amp and water no sewer, BUT that spot is taken by a shiny Redwood !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Weekend road trip. Have room in your driveway for a 60 rig and full hook-ups? If so, we'll come down and have a grand time.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Flashman wrote:
What does that B&W hitch weigh?

Here - B & W Specs

153# I juts went through this with my new Ford.... Compared to my old Pullrits slider, it's a feather... AND - remove the 2 clips and remove the coupler at 75#... that leaves the base at 78#.. easy peasy

YEA but your Grandson can't pick it up for you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

No grandkids.. oldest daughter (26) was supposed to get married late June
..no idea when now
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Blue Ox Super Ride hitch"

Looks interesting. I would take that well before a few others.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Consider the Blue Ox Super Ride hitch. It does not slide, instead it hinges fore and aft when needed. If your desire for lightness is based on easy install/removal, the Super Ride breaks down into three pieces. It also has a unique wrap-around jaw and an imbedded lube plate. Unlike the B&W and Andersen hitches touted, the Super Ride also offers a cushioned ride with pocketed air springs.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If you are concerned about 1-200# pounds you are cutting things too close and need a bigger truck!

Bingo!!!!

Either bigger truck or smaller 5er.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Thermoguy wrote:
I'm not to familiar with the Ram Mega Cab, but I don't think you need to worry about hitch weight. Your issue is, like most, payload capacity. With a SRW and wanting to haul a toy hauler you are going to have limitations anyway. If you are worried about a 200-300 lb hitch vs a 100 lb hitch, then you might be looking at too big of trailer. You can add too much weight to the trailer by throwing in some more stuff or adding firewood to the bed of the truck or something. One of the posts mentions a 3500 payload capacity. So, as long as the trailer you are looking at isn't coming close to that payload, then the weight of the hitch isn't an issue. You should get the hitch that fits your needs and truck trailer usage not shop by weight. I would consider an Anderson if I didn't already have a B&W but simply because I have both a 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Trailers. If I didn't have both, the 5th Wheel hitch would be all I would need.

Just make sure the trailer pin weight isn't pushing the limitations of your truck and you shouldn't have to think about it. But, also remember, those numbers are not struck in stone. Some will feel the truck is overwhelmed even if the trailer isn't close to the actual number on paper, and others will feel they can go hundreds of pounds over that number. Just depends on the person, where you are driving, and your experience.

Good Luck

Good points, The mega cab is a good choice for its people space however that mega cab is bigger and heavier that the typical crew cab. The size of the Mega Cab ultimately reduces your payload capacity. You can believe in GVWR or you can focus on RAWR either way the size of the mega cab will have a negative impact on the carrying capacity of your truck vs. a non mega cab model.
In the long run you need to choose a truck with adequate payload for what you plan to tow. A lighter hitch will not make up for insufficient payload. If you think it does your numbers are just too tight.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not to familiar with the Ram Mega Cab, but I don't think you need to worry about hitch weight. Your issue is, like most, payload capacity. With a SRW and wanting to haul a toy hauler you are going to have limitations anyway. If you are worried about a 200-300 lb hitch vs a 100 lb hitch, then you might be looking at too big of trailer. You can add too much weight to the trailer by throwing in some more stuff or adding firewood to the bed of the truck or something. One of the posts mentions a 3500 payload capacity. So, as long as the trailer you are looking at isn't coming close to that payload, then the weight of the hitch isn't an issue. You should get the hitch that fits your needs and truck trailer usage not shop by weight. I would consider an Anderson if I didn't already have a B&W but simply because I have both a 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Trailers. If I didn't have both, the 5th Wheel hitch would be all I would need.

Just make sure the trailer pin weight isn't pushing the limitations of your truck and you shouldn't have to think about it. But, also remember, those numbers are not struck in stone. Some will feel the truck is overwhelmed even if the trailer isn't close to the actual number on paper, and others will feel they can go hundreds of pounds over that number. Just depends on the person, where you are driving, and your experience.

Good Luck

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NEVER would anyone place a 5er hitch behind the rear axle in the days of drilling and bolting down your own hitch.

Can you run behind your rear axle? Sure and some do. Doesn't make it the best choice.

I would consider a PulRite steel or Andersen steel version in the normal ahead of axle position if towing a light 5er. The aluminum version at 24k is a JOKE and WILL cause bed deflection towing a heavy 5er.

OP do your research, you will find the happiest are B&W hitch owners. ZERO question if you are hitched or not with a simple solid latching system and no silly color coded latching.

Oh and another thing, no one has shown a good way to lock your hitch to the RV with an Andersen.

I won't go any further on this Andersen hitch in front or behind the axle, but speaking from experience you are wrong, and its done every day. We go thru this every time the subject comes up. If you have towed with the Andersen ,then you would know.

As far as locking the hitch, not sure what you mean, I don't lock my conventional hitch ,nor do I worry about locking this Andersen , but if you mean the latch ,its a pretty positive lock, and turn. There are a few things I do, and I do EVERY time I leave my fifth wheel ,and truck unattended. I check the tires, lights, and make sure the hitch is as I left it latched, and ready to go. I think it foolish not too. I don't need a pile of padlocks, and keys to make sure my hitch is still latched ,and no one has messed with it. Its part of towing anything, and it does not require padlocks .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NEVER would anyone place a 5er hitch behind the rear axle in the days of drilling and bolting down your own hitch.

Can you run behind your rear axle? Sure and some do. Doesn't make it the best choice.

I would consider a PulRite steel or Andersen steel version in the normal ahead of axle position if towing a light 5er. The aluminum version at 24k is a JOKE and WILL cause bed deflection towing a heavy 5er.

OP do your research, you will find the happiest are B&W hitch owners. ZERO question if you are hitched or not with a simple solid latching system and no silly color coded latching.

Oh and another thing, no one has shown a good way to lock your hitch to the RV with an Andersen.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Flashman wrote:
What does that B&W hitch weigh?

Here - B & W Specs

153# I juts went through this with my new Ford.... Compared to my old Pullrits slider, it's a feather... AND - remove the 2 clips and remove the coupler at 75#... that leaves the base at 78#.. easy peasy

YEA but your Grandson can't pick it up for you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If you want to have your pin behind the axle center and NOT need a slider IMHO is a bad idea.

You have a 3500 get the B&W slider and don't look back, you WILL thank me!!!

If you are concerned about 1-200# pounds you are cutting things too close and need a bigger truck!

Not true on the first sentence ,have towed thousands of miles with an Andersen hitch, so have many others . A friend just did about three thousand miles for work up in Alaska with the Andersen ,not a problem,

I have also towed with a manual slider, and no regardless of the brand, I will not thank anyone , they are noisy, heavy, and being manual people have a tendency not to use them, the list goes on . The Superglide is temperamental, and CANNOT be hitched or unhitched at much of an angle.

But I do agree with you on the last part, making it about 100-200 lbs. is not the way to go. But its looks like the cart is before the horse here, and the Andersen is a great choice, coming form someone that knows, and tows with one.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Considering my concerns about payload and the constraints of a short bed, can anyone tell me what the best lightweight options are for slider hitches?

Your getting the my brand is the best hitch regardless of your question for the lightest which the B&W isn't nor is it the best. The top auto sliding hitch on the markets and has been for years is the SuperGlide but it is heavy.

Many newer gen 5th wheel trailers have the notched/rounder front corners made for short bed trucks. No need for a sliding hitch.

A far as actual hitch assy weight you will have to go to each hitch makers and see what their numbers are. Hitch weight should include all rails or all the parts from the hitch down to the kit/brackets that attaches it to the trucks frame rails.

There are two lightweight 5th wheel hitches Andersen and the PullRite SLR series. Both use the same GN ball technology

Pullrite says their steel only hitch weighs 64 lbs.

Andersen has a aluminum hitch that they have said it weighs in the 40 lb range or a steel hitch that weighs in the 60 lb range.
And you will have to decide if you want/need a single point or 4 point attachment.

Check out each hitch mfg website how their system works.

The 3500 SRW Ram has a 7000 rawr that is going to carry all the weight in the bed. The Mega is heavy on the rear axle and may weigh in the 3400-3500 lb range leaving the truck with around 3500 lb range for a in the bed payload. Like all truckers you have the truck so get your trucks separate front and rear axle weights that way you will know how much real world payload the truck has.

Its hard to make a decision asking on a forum, as you say its never going to be the best or lightest . Lot of great hitches out there.

Yes I am a fan of the Andersen , although I lean more towards the steel version, which is still lighter then any slider ,B&W ,whatever. Its also a very solid hitch. As mentioned with these new rounded corners on fifth wheels , the need for sliders are minimal or not needed at all. Plus with the Andersen, no need for a slider as said. Misinformation as far as using the Andersen ,and being a couple inches behind the axle, not an issue, have towed thousands of miles with the steel version of the Andersen . IMO the rail adapter ,and steel version of the Andersen is the way to go, especially if weight conscious . Adapter picture frame to fit the OE puck system ,and the steel Andersen is going to be in the 100 -110 lb. range total . cost wise less then B&W or Superglide.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Your getting the my brand is the best hitch regardless of your question for the lightest which the B&W isn't nor is it the best. The top auto sliding hitch on the markets and has been for years is the SuperGlide but it is heavy.

Many newer gen 5th wheel trailers have the notched/rounder front corners made for short bed trucks. No need for a sliding hitch.

A far as actual hitch assy weight you will have to go to each hitch makers and see what their numbers are. Hitch weight should include all rails or all the parts from the hitch down to the kit/brackets that attaches it to the trucks frame rails.

There are two lightweight 5th wheel hitches Andersen and the PullRite SLR series. Both use the same GN ball technology

Pullrite says their steel only hitch weighs 64 lbs.

Andersen has a aluminum hitch that they have said it weighs in the 40 lb range or a steel hitch that weighs in the 60 lb range.
And you will have to decide if you want/need a single point or 4 point attachment.

Check out each hitch mfg website how their system works.

The 3500 SRW Ram has a 7000 rawr that is going to carry all the weight in the bed. The Mega is heavy on the rear axle and may weigh in the 3400-3500 lb range leaving the truck with around 3500 lb range for a in the bed payload. Like all truckers you have the truck so get your trucks separate front and rear axle weights that way you will know how much real world payload the truck has.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides