cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Most expensive camp chair!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
A friend sent this link for a ridiculously over priced folding camp chair from the same folks that brought you over priced coolers YETI

$300 folding camp chair

Maybe worth this price if the frame were carbon fiber and the mesh graphene?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
48 REPLIES 48

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Unless all the pins in the plastic foot pads and every other joint are stainless steel they will rust like every other folding chair does.

Sand and dust will clog up the feet and sliding parts and the legs will eventually jamb.

Some stuff should be moderately inexpensive and therefore replaceable. It's all about the math.

I doubt this $300 chair will last longer then six lifetimes of my $50 chair.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"Will it fetch me a beer and open it for me?"

I think we're talking a whole 'nother layer of expense to find an accessory that provides this service. ?? ...my 7 YO granddaughter loves to do this for grampa, but heaven forbid we calculate the money spent on spoiling her!
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
4x4van wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Owner of multiple YETI coolers, multiple YETI cups and a few other brands of similarly constructed coolers. I a.ways chuckle when people say they arenโ€™t worth the money and that the product is over-hyped. The brand is irrelevant to me, but the quality of the product speaks for itself.

Brand equals status, confidence, spirit of accomplishment, pride, etc. It sometimes also equals a statement of quality. Everyone on this board is guilty of it to some extent. Raise your hand if you have never ever, EVER paid more for something just because it was a certain brand...perhaps even because you expected it to be better based on the name. Maybe you paid $5K or $10K more to get that truck with the certain trim package that made you โ€œfeel betterโ€. Maybe you buy your shoes from a department store instead of WalMart. Maybe you like Charmin UltraSoft instead of the commercial quality stuff you can get for a fraction of the price...which does the same job. But maybe you just havenโ€™t YET decided to spend a little more on a camping chair.
I was right there with you...until your last sentence. A "little" more??????

A โ€œlittleโ€ more is relative, of course. Maybe itโ€™s 3 times more money, but lasts you 5 times longer? You and your wallet should decide whatโ€™s a little and whatโ€™s a lot ๐Ÿ˜‰

These discussions are often comparable to those related to other products of varying price ranges. For example, as an avid saltwater fisherman, Iโ€™ve come to the conclusion that spending $200 on a quality fishing reel is a wise investment vs. spending $50 on a lesser quality one. The money trade-off is valid because the better product lasts longer, works better, and requires less maintenance. Plus, as an added bonus, it makes me look cool LOL. On a recent fishing trip, a friend used my โ€œfancyโ€ rig for a few minutes and immediately realized and commented on how much better it is than the cheaper rig he was using. Heโ€™ll replace his rig in the next year or so when it fails, and Iโ€™ll still be going strong.
Oh, I agree that you (most times) get what you pay for. However, there is always a limit to that theory, as well. My $30 chairs have no problem lasting at least 5 years (and still going strong) in boondocking use in the desert, at the river, in the sand dunes... Will the Yeti last 50+ years? Doubtful, and pretty sure I'd get bored of it anyway by that time. So if the longevity is not relevant, what about features? 10X more comfortable? Doubtful. Will it fetch me a beer and open it for me? Hmmmm...nope. Just nothing really there that is worth 10X the cost (to me). But of course, to each his own.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
. Plus, as an added bonus, it makes me look cool LOL. .

that sez it all
bumpy

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
All of the Yeti brand name stuff I have I have acquired for free. I have won a couple of tumblers and a cooler in drawings that the entry did not cost anything. Yes they are great at what they do but I would not spend the money for them.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Durb wrote:
My monogrammed Yeti Mug was a Christmas present and I love it; unfortunately it is too wide to fit many cup holders. I wonder if it fits the chair's cup holder.

Yeti is marketing genius. Their products are always displayed front and center and are seldom discounted. I would pay a lot for a supremely comfortable camp chair; probably not $300. The Yeti looks to be well made but I can't see it being super comfortable. I will give it a test drive when I see one displayed somewhere.

Yes, their products ARE "always displayed front and center" -- genius marketing on the part of YETI. The less expensive coolers have a minimal profit margin for the retailer. Along comes YETI offering a huge profit margin to the retailer, so, as the retailer, where would I display these high-profit products? Certainly "front and center" ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thatโ€™s not exactly true. I canโ€™t comment on the profit margins YETI used to offer, but nowadays, since itโ€™s become an everyday name brand, the profit margins arenโ€™t substantial. I walked into Loweโ€™s the other day and observed that they had one of the largest selection of YETI products Iโ€™d ever seen. And it was tucked away on a side-aisle, very much like how Bass Pro does it. YETI used to be something you cold really only find at the specialty shops, and they made the store purchase pre-determined products as decided by YETI. You basically got onto a subscription-type program, where they sent you โ€œXโ€ number of certain selected products. The store had little say in what they got. For reasons such as this, many of the specialty shops have gone away of YETI and started offering some of the competitor brands.

While I have gotten (and continue to get) tremendous use from my YETI coolers, Iโ€™ll probably be looking elsewhere for any future cooler purchases. There other manufacturers of roto-molded coolers that are made in the USA and comparably priced. I will say, though, that my experience with RTIC coolers is that they are nowhere close in quality to many of the other YETI alternatives.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Owner of multiple YETI coolers, multiple YETI cups and a few other brands of similarly constructed coolers. I a.ways chuckle when people say they arenโ€™t worth the money and that the product is over-hyped. The brand is irrelevant to me, but the quality of the product speaks for itself.

Brand equals status, confidence, spirit of accomplishment, pride, etc. It sometimes also equals a statement of quality. Everyone on this board is guilty of it to some extent. Raise your hand if you have never ever, EVER paid more for something just because it was a certain brand...perhaps even because you expected it to be better based on the name. Maybe you paid $5K or $10K more to get that truck with the certain trim package that made you โ€œfeel betterโ€. Maybe you buy your shoes from a department store instead of WalMart. Maybe you like Charmin UltraSoft instead of the commercial quality stuff you can get for a fraction of the price...which does the same job. But maybe you just havenโ€™t YET decided to spend a little more on a camping chair.

A โ€œlittleโ€ more is relative, of course. Maybe itโ€™s 3 times more money, but lasts you 5 times longer? You and your wallet should decide whatโ€™s a little and whatโ€™s a lot ๐Ÿ˜‰

These discussions are often comparable to those related to other products of varying price ranges. For example, as an avid saltwater fisherman, Iโ€™ve come to the conclusion that spending $200 on a quality fishing reel is a wise investment vs. spending $50 on a lesser quality one. The money trade-off is valid because the better product lasts longer, works better, and requires less maintenance. Plus, as an added bonus, it makes me look cool LOL. On a recent fishing trip, a friend used my โ€œfancyโ€ rig for a few minutes and immediately realized and commented on how much better it is than the cheaper rig he was using. Heโ€™ll replace his rig in the next year or so when it fails, and Iโ€™ll still be going strong.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
My monogrammed Yeti Mug was a Christmas present and I love it; unfortunately it is too wide to fit many cup holders. I wonder if it fits the chair's cup holder.

Yeti is marketing genius. Their products are always displayed front and center and are seldom discounted. I would pay a lot for a supremely comfortable camp chair; probably not $300. The Yeti looks to be well made but I can't see it being super comfortable. I will give it a test drive when I see one displayed somewhere.

Yes, their products ARE "always displayed front and center" -- genius marketing on the part of YETI. The less expensive coolers have a minimal profit margin for the retailer. Along comes YETI offering a huge profit margin to the retailer, so, as the retailer, where would I display these high-profit products? Certainly "front and center" ๐Ÿ˜‰
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
PA12DRVR wrote:
I've got a Yeti cooler that is XX years old and still keeps stuff cold very well (it is in Alaska though..). Same thing with a Yeti hot cup. ...and those are worth the 20? 40? percent premium to me.

However, even though with my build I have to get the super heavy duty camp chairs, paying 200 - 300% for a Yeti branded product over a store brand isn't in the cards.

I still don't understand how the Yeti insulated cup knows to keep hot things hot and cold things cold. exactly, How does it know?
bumpy

I don't know, but, apparently unlike some of the posters, my Yeti cup knows how better than many others that I have tried.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
My coffee does not stay in my cup long enough to get cold.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought the Contigo brand mugs from Costco for about $20 and they will keep coffee too hot to drink for hours. Fill it up at 6:00 and it's still hot at noon. We've paid more for mugs that were awful. Quality does not have to cost more.

Too many times "things" just help with showing status, some people find that very important. And also equate price with quality. A Rolex won't usually keep better time than a Timex, but it's a "ROLEX".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a few Yeti large mugs and they do work good. I also bought the Walmart brand and they work equally as good

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K