cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

State of charge

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
How accurate is using resting voltage as a indicator of state of charge?
16 REPLIES 16

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
That is a primary charging voltage. -- time limited. When proven good, the battery reaches full charge then loses it's surface charge the voltage algorithm can be used.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
S Davis wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Resize this......

A flooded battery can irreversibly sulfate it's way to death but show resting voltage as being "normal" full charge. Read nothing more or nothing less in your replies thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

What causes this to happen?

Not being fully charged, often from too low a charging voltage.

Oh ok, my charger is charging at 14.75 Volts so that should not be an issue.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
S Davis wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Resize this......

A flooded battery can irreversibly sulfate it's way to death but show resting voltage as being "normal" full charge. Read nothing more or nothing less in your replies thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Not being fully charged, often from too low a charging voltage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Resize this......

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Resize this......

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
So this ARB 50 quart frig is pretty efficient, it ran for 96 hours in 70-80 degree temperatures set to 34 degrees and pulled the two Trojans T105s down to 12.68 volts. So less than 10%. I let them rest for about 24 hours before checking the voltage.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I use a loaded test, tv and 1 lite on, 11.9v time io recharge.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
S Davis wrote:
I am using a pair of Trojan T105s to power a ARB 50 quart frig, I leave for three days with them fully charged. They donโ€™t seem to be being drawn down much, they started fully charged at 12.86 volts and only went down to 12.68 volts.
No harm at this measurement.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Better to turn on a 1 amp load for 10 minutes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 15 min disconnect trick sounds about right to me. If you note how much it goes up in the first 15 min, you can just count that in right off without disconnecting.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For whatever it's worth, I have found that if I disconnect the battery from everything for about 15 minutes, I get a fairly accurate measurement of resting charge. It's not as accurate as letting it sit for 24 hr., but I usually do this "quick rest" method when we are camping. So I can't disconnect it for 24 hr.

I developed the "15 minute test" by disconnecting the battery and taking readings with my voltmeter every three minutes. For the first 15 min. after disconnecting, the voltage kept going up. But the curve flattened out after 15 min. and stayed pretty constant for quite a while.

If anyone has different information, I would be very interested in hearing about it!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I am using a pair of Trojan T105s to power a ARB 50 quart frig, I leave for three days with them fully charged. They donโ€™t seem to be being drawn down much, they started fully charged at12.86 volts and only went down to 12.68 volts.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
S Davis wrote:
How accurate is using resting voltage as a indicator of state of charge?
Close enough for RV use. I would speculate you are within 5% to 10%.

Are you wondering when to start the generator? Or how long to run it?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is possible to compile a chart for loaded vs at rest. But it may be more trouble than it is worth. True "at rest" is 24 hours with no charging and no draws.
Regards, Don