cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Latest Info on Harvest Hosts & Boondockers Welcome

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided to go ahead with our four month trip (July-November)in our 27" travel trailer. Florida-CO-WY-MT-WA-OR-CA-AR-NM-TX-FL.

This will be our 4th year to take this kind of trip. We stay in all kinds of places - national, state, local parks,comm. RV parks, etc. Dry, partial and full HUps all OK. We try to avoid Wal-marts, etc.

I've read that camp sites of all kinds will be harder to find this year. I'm considering Harvest Hosts and/or Boondockers Welcome to expand the possibilities.

I've studied their sites, read reviews and all the threads here, so I think I have a good understanding of how they work.

My question: have any of you used these two sources lately, and have you gotten emails from the clubs on changes during Covid-19?

Also, any other tips or comments on these two clubs would be greatly appreciated. Or thoughts about finding spots to stay, both short and longer times (5-10 days)

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Another site to look into is hipcamp.com. It's sort of like Air BnB for camping... basically a private land owner posts their site on there and you can stay there. From what I've seen, the sites range from full hookups to boondocking out in a random field. Many are on farms etc. where you can interact with the animals.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I used Boondockers a lot for a couple of years. Your stay will depend on the person's house you are staying at. If they are mask breathers, then they probably are scared, but many Americans are done with it all, so the best you can do is ask. Some will be happy to host you, some will not be hosting anyone for at least until Nov 4th.

I met great people and you get to stay in the community rather than at a place for visitors. All but one hose was very friendly and I made friends and got a insiders view into the local area.

Typically if you need power for AC you pay them $5 per night, suggested, but you ask, if just for battery charging then probably nothing. For water you can offer to pay that 25 cents you will use, and is just between you and your host what you do.

I have had host bring me in to shower, and they fed me, and I fixed their bike and enjoyed the evening... Most are just glad to hear about your adventure RVing.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I am a member of both and have not received any information because of C-19.
The ones that run HH emphasis they only want you to ask about staying for 1 night. However I have stayed multiple nights a couple of times and have never been turned down when asking. HH doesn't offer anything at most locations, I have only been offered water and wifi at a couple of places.
BoondockersWelcome is more accommodating. Some offer water, electric,sewer hookups and even wifi. Some hosts offer it all for free and some expect payment.
I've never had a bad experience staying at either place.
Once you join it is easy to figure out where you can stay. The problem is a lot of the times there is nothing close to where you might want to spend the night.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.