cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery question

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Just De-winterized the trailer yesterday, hooked up the battery that I keep in the house basement from winter storage. Noticed lights in TT didn't work. So far I have the trailer plugged in charging for almost a day. Put the trailer back on batter power only, noticed lights still not at full power.

Disconnected battery again, have 12.5 VDC at battery and 13.75 VDC on wire leads from trailer. So it seems the trailer is trying to charge the battery. I think the battery is 4 yrs old, how much more time should I wait before I spend $$$ on new one

Thanks for your replies
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)
13 REPLIES 13

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
In the end, I just decided to get a new battery.

Thank you everyone for your help

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Tue story on corrosion of the cables and connections.
Recently had an electrical issue with an older vehicle. Everything clean, look like new etc. good battery alternator etc.
After checking all the grounds, took pos cable off battery and it was super corroded and arcing. Did a bunch of cleanup on it and good as new.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
10.5 volts should make lights work, barely, so 12 is plenty, but yes, volts and amps are different. It could be a dead battery that just does not have enough amperage to do anything. Death could come from not holding voltage or from not having enough amps.

Take to auto parts store for the free charge n check.
You likely damaged it over the winter, most likely you did. If you let it sit all winter not being charged, then you might as well just buy a new one. Some "chargers" will let a battery die also, they just do not give the battery the right voltage and cannot regulate the voltage according the the State of Charge the batteries are at. Over-charging will do damage also.

Get a real deep cycle battery, not these marine ones. They are called Golf Cart batteries typically and are about the same price.

Cleaning the terminals is huge huge too. Sometimes the battery cable under the cable coating can get corroded and green and not conduct the electricity too, but this is unlikely in your situation.

***edit*
I reread your OP.
"12.5 VDC at battery and 13.75 VDC on wire leads from trailer"
after a day if the batter will not get past 13 (assuming you have a modern and decent charger) then the battery just will not take a charge and is dead. If you leave batt unplugged for a day then I bet voltage drops even more. The 12.5 yo uare seeing might just be a "surface" charge.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I had a battery that I kept charging and would pass my multi meter voltage test but would not work when connected. I didn't realize that the battery could pass voltage but fail under load testing. HF has an inexpensive load tester or the auto parts store as mentioned above.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Test the batteries.. I have my own tester but you can get 'em tested at ye old auto store.

Make sure you did not flip the disconnect switch to OFF.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Something is strange. Baytery might be toast but your converter and the battery at 12.5v should fully power the lights. Fix the bad terminal first.
Also unhook the battery and see if it maintains voltage for a day or so.
Have battery tested.
And you can try charging it again with something that puts higher voltage to it if your converter is only charging at 13.7.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I think 13.75 volts is too low to revive an unhappy battery.
I have a Black & Decker smart charger that automatically goes up to 16 volts when needed. It also has a desulphate mode. It works very well!

I used to keep the batteries in the house but they got too heavy. I live in northern Alberta. Now I leave them in the motorhome and disconnect the batteries when not using them for more than a day unless the solar panel is keeping them fully charged. They stay over 12.6 V for at least a month. Iโ€™ve had poor results with trickle chargers.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Varmintmist
Explorer
Explorer
Also you can try a real charger. Something like a garage will use. Sometimes you need to rock the batteries world.
Always cross your chains and grease your balls
07 F250
2019 Surveyor 27'

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I do clean the posts, but now that I think of it the positive lead wire was rusted, I will cut back the wire. Battery had plenty of water.

Thanks everyone
Mike

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
couple more things you need to do, all great advice above. buy a battery tender ,for when tt when just sitting . theres always a little battery use when the tt is just sitting in the drive. and always check the water every three months.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure you really clean the battery cables and posts... They may look clean.. But, give them a good wire brush clean and try again.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO your battery is toast. Keeping it charged is the key...not storing in the basement. A fully charged battery wonโ€™t freeze or weโ€™d all be dead.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You should have kept the battery fully charged all winter, now it may be spent. Charge it some more and then take it to a place like the chain auto parts stores to have it tested.