Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Water heater newbie
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Water heater newbie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Lexinator

Pickens

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/20 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m new to camping don’t judge me. When I went camping all worked except the water heater? What am I doing wrong. I have a 2015 Dutchmen. Do I have to fill it a special way am I not igniting it? Please help I’m so lost. Don’t judge. Kind vibes.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More details please.........

Model of Dutchmen?

Brand/Model of water heater?

Is water heater Full of water ---Cold inlet valve open, Bypass valve CLOSED?
Opened closest faucet HOTSIDE with water supply ON to allow water heater to FIll and bleed air from system

If gas model.....
Is propane valved in service?
Have you used any propane appliance so LP System is pressurized and get flow
(light off stove top burners on HIGH and let them burner for a minute to get fll pressure/flow established)

Water Heater......might need several attempts to get full propane flow to water heater
Turn switch ON...if you get a solid red light turn Off and then back ON

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/20 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And remember most water heaters have an inside "On" switch and an outside "On" rocker behind the outside panel where the water heater is drained. Make sure that little guy is "On", too.

2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ride S40T wrote:

And remember most water heaters have an inside "On" switch and an outside "On" rocker behind the outside panel where the water heater is drained. Make sure that little guy is "On", too.

Only Suburbans ---outside switch is for Electric Element (OEM)
Inside switch is for GAS
Some RV MFGs will add an Inside Switch for Electric wired in series with outside switch...both have to be on for electic to work (unless burned out due to no water in tank)

Atwood uses Inside switches since 2004 models (combo elecric/gas)
Gas Only...inside switch

Think OPs Dutchmen uses Atwoods

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one is at a campground and has trouble like that ask around and I'll bet one of the campers will have a water heater like yours and can tell you how it works. Don't be shy. Most people are more than willing to help. Just wear a mask!

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) Make sure the tank is full and the bypass is set so water goes thru the hot water heater. (failure to fill can burn out the electric element in under a minute) To check from the outside feel for heat and if cool, pull the lever on the pressure relief valve with the pump on. Should spit some water out at you.
2) Listen at the outside as someone turns on the heater (electric and gas). You should at least hear a click as it switches on. If not, use a multimeter to check for voltage.
3) If you put it on gas, you should hear multiple clicks as it tries to light. If it's the first time since propane ran out, it may take a few tries before propane clears the air out of the line (after a minute or two without lighting, it will give up to protect the unit). Once lit, you should feel hot air from the chimney.
4) If you put it on electric, you should still hear some noise as the heating element kicks on.

Some simple potential issues:
- Check the breaker is not tripped and the 12 fuse is not blown.
- Make sure the switch is on (possibly an external one also).
- Depending on brand, there might be a reset in the outside panel.
- Make sure propane is turned on and you have propane (try lighting the stove burners to check)

90% chance one of these items fixes the issue.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New to you... It is possible the water heater was bypassed for winterizing last fall. Like others have said, open the pressure relief valve, it's outside behind the water heater cover. If no water comes out, you have no water going in. If that's the case you will have to find the back side of the water heater inside the trailer. Might be behind a piece of paneling being held in by a couple screws, in a cabinet or even under the bed. Once you find it it will be fairly obvious what you need to do to get the water going into the tank. If not google RV water heater bypass for diagrams. Oh, and if it is bypassed and you turned on the electric element, your going to need to replace that once you get the water issue figured out.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Lexinator

Pickens

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys! I am going to continue to solve it. The stove works. Here is my water heater panel. All the advice is great keep them coming! Follow link for pic.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZc6pEzXkAA1AA2?format=jpg&name=large

* This post was edited 06/01/20 02:02pm by Lexinator *

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

* This post was edited 06/02/20 08:50am by an administrator/moderator *

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picture is TOO LARGE...makes it hard to follow info etc

THAT is an Atwood GC10A-4E water heater.....electric.gas combo and uses a Common DC Fused source for controls/functions

Fused DC goes to the On/Off Switches (inside RV) then from switches DC goes to circuit board (Electric/White wire & Gas/Orange wire)

DC then goes to/thru T-stat thru Thermal Fuse (inside the clear tubing---blows at 190*F if flame blows back out of combustion chamber---must replace if blown) and back to circuit board (Brown wires)
*thermal fuse can be removed...wire connected to t-stat to 'TEMPORARILY' operate water heater

When DC comes back via brown wire then Circuit Board sends DC to ECO/Gas Valve......
On Gas it would be FULL DC Voltage to open gas valve and energize Spark Electrode (high voltage spark)
On Electric it would be just a few millivolts so that ECO (Energy Cut Off/Hi Temp T-stat) is incorporated into control loop

On Gas Spark electrode FIRES (Click, Click, Click) and ignites propane from gas valve provided propane is available, orifice/burner are clean and spark electrode wire/connections are good)

On Electric DC is sent from Circuit Board to DC Relay which closes and allows 120VAC to go to element provided AC Circuit Breaker is not tripped, wiring at DC Relay is not bad and element is good (energizing w/o water will burn element out in seconds/minutes)

2A fuse on circuit board protects DC circuits on board...if blown/no functions (and probably a shorted circuit board)

Got a Voltmeter...know how to use it....trace the DC circuits from on/off switches to circuit board and components.

Here is the wiring diagram to follow circuits
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Water heater newbie
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.