cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling substitute teacher in retirement?

Godd002
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am still a number of years away from retirement as a teacher but I have had an idea running in my head for a while and wanted to see if anyone has any opinions or experience.  it is very common for teachers to become substitutes when they retire.  this allows them to make some money and avoid using some of their retirement for awhile.  Often they begin retiring in the school district they taught in.  I would like to travel around the US once I retire and I figure if i am going to be a substitute, why substitute in the same area i have lived for 30 years?  So my thought has been for my wife and I (she is an english teacher) to live in a 5th wheel and go to different parts of the country and live there for 3 or 4 months and substitute to make extra money and yet be able to explore areas.  i would like to visit areas that have a number of smaller towns or cities within 60 miles or something of each other so i have options to substitute often if i wanted.  My wife would do the same or being and English teacher she could teach online.   

Anyway, I am wondering if this seems like something that could be a possibility for retirement?  What would the cost, i realize depending on area, of a monthly RV spot in a park cost?  What else am I not thinking of?

Anyway, any thoughts would be helpful

thank you

Garry 
12 REPLIES 12

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Godd002,

Districts are desperate for subs. If you have background checks and you were an actual teacher, no one is going to ask (or care) where you live or what you live in.
Kathy

Godd002
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies and advise...i realize there will be some logistical obstacles. I have looked and most states do not require much to be a substitute...some dont even require college degrees....most once you have done the process, the certification is good for 3-5 years. my plan would be to obviously call ahead to area school districts and see if they would like the services of 2 core class teachers with over 30 years of experience. i would think many would. but if it looks like this isnt going to work, then i find something else to do. We could always teach online.
thank you for your help

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Cost of living while full timing varies greatly, as others have explained. Monthly site costs differ from daily ones, but you would have to plan ahead for that as not all CGs offer monthly site,and costs for electricity, (often separate fee for monthlys), dependable Internet, etc can or can't be included. Being certified to substitute varies greatly from state to state, even district to district. All require background checks, and it costs separately for each district - can't just get it done once,I don't think. Often this job is no longer done by schools but subcontracted out to private companies, district by district, so you would need to get on each list. Pay varies GREATLY district by district as well. The better the pay, the less likely you could get called - everyone wants to work there! Don't know if you have ever done sub work before, but it is NOTHING as ALL like having your own class. I taught for almost 30 years (high school) and took 5 years off in the middle to 'play mommy'. I then subbed for almost 2 years before I could get a permanent position - mostly in the same school system I had previously taught in. Students do not respond to a temporary teacher the way they do to 'their own'. It's natural. You aren't expected (and often not allowed) to actually teach. Do what the teacher left for you! You often do not get the kind of support concerning necessary discipline you would if the kids were 'yours'. You don't have a reputation - administrators don't know how you actually deal with kids. I was a known commodity, and generally had few problems, but I was still seen as 'just filling in' until the 'real teacher' came back. Add to that the idea that you want to keep on traveling every 3 or 4 months - each time you would have to start over. Bottom line, from my experience, not something I could recommend.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Certification, back ground checks, submission of fingerprints, and the reluctance of a school system to hire someone who is transient living in a RV will be significant obstacles.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
I
Kathy

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
I am a retired teacher and have spent some time substituting (COVID 19 might change that)-in my former district and a neighboring district. In Pennsylvania, a former teacher may NOT be hired directly by a school district, they have to subcontract out (this is a pension issue). This means a company hires you, and you pick up sub jobs through the subcontracting company. I filled out tons of paperwork and had to get three separate background checks. Once I did that, subbing was a breeze, but the paperwork and background checks took several weeks to do-one of my clearances involved going to a special location, getting finger printed, and waiting for a clearance. None of this was a huge issue, but this certainly means that many states might have similar procedures. On the other hand, I believe that several states do not have the stringent checks that Pennsylvania does.(PS-these checks are good for five years, and then they must be redone). I also do not think that you necessarily have to even be a teacher in most states in order to sub.

Would districts hire you once you were ready to sub-even if you were from out of state and no one knew you? You bet. Districts desperately needs subs. If you can breathe in and out, they will hire you.

BUT, subbing is way different from teaching. A suggestion-if you plan to try traveling and subbing-sub in your district and at least one other neighboring district far a year. See if you like it and learn the ins and outs of what you will be up against. I suggest this because subbing in your own district is great-people know you and are welcoming (at least in my district). Subbing in another district lets you know what it will be like when no one knows or cares who you are. Don't get me wrong- I have enjoyed our neighboring district too, it's just different.

Best wishes on your journey.
Kathy

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Each district will want you to fill out an application, probably pass a background check. They may let you sub but might not count your out-of-state certification (and thus pay you at a lower rate). If you do this, you'll probably want to establish yourselves in certain districts so you can routinely return there each year; if you want to skip all over the country and do this, you might find the process too cumbersome.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Many if not all districts in Texas require substitutes to have some college with many requiring degrees and Texas certification. They require background checks and fingerprinting.
Based on what I have been told by my fellow educators in many states this is the same in most. I would imagine areas with serious shortages may have easier requirements.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not in California without a California license and a background check.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I believe licensing or certification become issues in many states. I have heard of some folks doing this however in conjunction with some of the Native tribes. Tribes are independent and dont have to follow state requirements.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Obviously, you need to check on the certification requirements but yes, it does seem viable. Your local district is likely easier as you have connections but if you meet the certification, requirements and will be in the area for a while, I don't see why they wouldn't hire you. Only question is would 3-4months be long enough for them to sign you up.

As far as cost of living, don't get stupid on the cost of the rig and it's an inexpensive lifestyle. I would suggest a used truck and trailer until you are sure you like the lifestyle. Depreciation is a killer in the first 5yrs for both. Best if you are handy but nothing too complicated. Worst case find a mobile RV tech you like and pay them a couple hundred to go thru the systems and show you how to do basic trouble shooting.

Obviously, it depends on the area but I also assume the pay in expensive areas will also be higher. To get a decent park, we figure on $500-800/month. You can find cheaper but it usually shows both in the condition of the park and in the clientele they draw. You can also find more expensive but I haven't been able to see the benefit if it's way above what the typical is for the area.

Be careful of the vacation mindset where people will do 3000 miles in 2 weeks. That get tiring real quick. When you are full time, there is no need to do long travel days. Our preference is about 100-150miles leaving around 10am and getting in by 2pm and we try to keep travel days to 2-3 per week when on the move with longer stays after a week or two of being on the move.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cost of an RV park? Hmmmm...... They can range from $300/month in Arizona desert during the hottest of the summer months, to $200/night for a spot in the Newport Beach California back bay during the summer. You'll need your own wifi if you want decent reception for tutoring online. But, if that's gets you through to retirement age, jump on the bus and go for it. I would check on health benefits for a substitute teacher first.