Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Looking to buy, bunkhouse ~26ft, all advice welcome
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Looking to buy, bunkhouse ~26ft, all advice welcome

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amandasaylor wrote:

Thanks friends, all of this is very helpful! The vehicle (husbands department) is an excursion and states it can tow 7 to 8 thousand lbs...but willing to upgrade vehicle to meet the trailers needs. I was told by one guy at a lot that he see's passports in the shop the least, so I was starting my search in that direction. I didnt mention that in my OP because I wanted an unbiased opinion. We are going to rent a 2018 28ft dutchman kodiak BH locally and take it on the road for a week to get out feet wet and see what fits [emoticon]

Thanks again

That's a great way to start - Find out if you need more room or can be comfortable. The SUV is a limitation, but after your trip you will know if you want a larger vehicle or if the trailer size is adequate.

The other issue is RV Quality. As many have said, all have their issues. Hopefully your husband is handy as it will come to play at some point of RV ownership. But, buying used is not a bad idea. If you can find something that is new enough all the kinks are worked out but not so old it is falling apart. Just have it inspected, even if at a lot, use an independent RV inspector - I didn't and could have saved lots of money...

Good Luck

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will third or fourth the positive comments about the Jayco brand, Not the most expensive but seem to be pretty good quality for pretty good price. Since I will never own another RV with slides, I like the 26BH or the lower priced twin 264BH. Slides can be troublesome, make a unit harder to heat or cool, and add to the cost and weight. I am buying something to travel in, not something to impress or entertain my neighbors.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a Zinger 270BH. It has a double over double bunk bed arrangement. The top bunk has a 300lb capacity. One thing I noticed when we were looking is that most top bunks do not have a lot of capacity. That may not mean anything right now but it can in the future especially as kids get older or you want to bring family along.

Enclosed, heated, and insulated underbelly's were important to us as we like to camp in the late winter. It may not be an issue for you.

Finally, lower your expectations for quality. Even the best of these things are slapped together sticks and staples. You will have to tighten screws, tap in staples as they back out, tighten lug nuts, etc...

Finally, enjoy the journey.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

wiskeyVI

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sundance TT241BH
We picked up one of these.
We haven't had it out yet, but we really like the layout.
2 of us and our lg dog.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Looking to buy, bunkhouse ~26ft, all advice welcome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.