cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Needles Highway (too big?)

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to the Black Hills in a couple weeks. It's my first time going there. We have an F-350 dually long bed tow vehicle. I am assuming the truck is too large to take on Needles Highway based on what I have read. Can someone confirm?
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor
11 REPLIES 11

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to report back. I'm glad we didn't "wing it" and take the dually, because the signs now say the max width at Needles Eye tunnel is exactly 8'. Someone in a Class C was sitting more towards the entrance trying to turn around. Our friend drove us through instead in his F250 and it was a very tight squeeze. There was also a mountain goat that decided to hang out in there, and we would have smooshed him with our truck. I also did not see a single tour bus.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess that because I see scraped paint on the highway overpasses in town, we should not drive through that overpass with my TT either. Some people can hit the wall no matter how wide the the road is. Go slow, you will make it. My Class C was as wide or wider than your dually.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the info all! Our camping buddies have a 1/2 ton truck so we may just take theirs if they're up to the drive (they've done it before). We just got our dually out of the body shop so I don't think my husband is too keen on adventurous driving with it ๐Ÿ™‚ It's 8' wide so only having inches to spare doesn't sound too fun.

Rug
Explorer
Explorer
We have an F-350 dully and we went thru just fine.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, big vehicles go thru as witnessed by the piles of red and amber plastic along the road.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarabooBob wrote:
Tour buses go through the Needles Highway on a daily basis. I am pretty sure you truck is smaller that those big coaches. My Class C Damon made it through.

This is exactly right, big tour buses go through it daily. Just go slow.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tour buses go through the Needles Highway on a daily basis. I am pretty sure you truck is smaller that those big coaches. My Class C Damon made it through.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know how much difference there is between make and year model but our 2007 GMC dually went through. We folded in the mirrors and it looked to be around 2-3 inches clearance on the rear fenders

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Smallest tunnel is 8'4" wide and 12' high. Last time I drove it was in a van, and had no problem. Well, no problem with the road. The day we did it a rock climber fell and was killed, and the road was blocked for a couple hours for emergency vehicles. But the road itself was no problem. You decide on your own comfort level.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
your dually alone should get through the narrow tunnels, but be prepared for it to be a squeeeeeze. ๐Ÿ™‚ We have seen duallys go through it. I think they pull in their mirrors, etc. you can reach out and touch the tunnel sides.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming is dangerous! This is the narrowest part.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad