cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fitting in Yellowstone Campgrounds...

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
So it looks like Fishing Bridge RV park will remain closed until fall 2021 since they weren't able to complete the renovations due to Covid. We are looking at taking our 32' 5th wheel and CCLB truck up to Yellowstone next summer. Looking at the other campgrounds it appears most of them have a 40' truck/trailer limit. I would imagine I can back the trailer in and park the truck diagonally in front of it but I have also heard that they measure you and will turn you away if your entire rig is over 40'. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat
12 REPLIES 12

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at FB in 2017. I reserved a 40 ft site for my, then, 35ft TT. The site was short. I had to verify they gave me a 40ft site which they said they did. I had to put about 3 feet of my trailer of the log separating the sites. I would challenge them to park a 40ft anything and not have it extend both into the site behind you and into the road. With that said. It was very easy to maneuver around the campground (55ft with truck and trailer).
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
1) I have not camped withing Yellowstone personally. We stayed at a USFS CG on Earthquake Lake during our visit Labor Day 2017.

2) I have several friends who have camped within Yellowstone in recent years - three in 2019.

3) There are two (really three) very different types of campgrounds within Yellowstone, and understanding the differences is important.

The National Park Service operates seven smaller dry campgrounds within the park. Those vary from tight restrictions such as at Lewis Lake where size limits are very important due to the access roads to Mammoth which is very lax on 'size' limitations.

As noted on the link above - Yellowstone National Park Lodges operates five campgrounds - four dry, and FHU Fishing Bridge. I've had friends in a 41' motorhome stay at Bay Bridge with a 17' long toad. Another friend with a 43' 5er stayed in Maidison, another friend with a 45' tag axle DP stayed in Grant Village. All three of these people TALKED to someone with Yellowstone NP Lodges reservations - and did so EARLY - 9 months to a year early. There are not many spaces which would fit their rigs, but the reservations team worked with them. Two of the folks had to adjust their dates to make sure they had a right sized spot.

Canyon is supposed to be tight to get into in places. Not recommended for longer trailers or 5ers.

One person I know was turned away at Fishing Bridge several years ago with a 38' 5er. A compromise was worked out so the 5er was put in the spot, but they had to park their pickup over at the Visitor Center/ Museum parking lot.

Those are people I've personally talked with. Take it with a grain of salt.

Driving through Madison, Grant, Bay Bridge and Canyon in Sept 2017 - I saw several large rigs/ 5ers - many bigger than yours in the first three. Some close to your size in Canyon. Many times it is not the camping spot which limits length, it is the trees which restrict turns and getting into a spot.

The RV parks in West Yellowstone are excellent, and plenty to do in the afternoons/ evenings if you wish. But it is not a 'wilderness' Yellowstone camping experience.

But most important - TALK to the people with YNP Lodges if you want reservations.

I'm willing to go without reservations and TRY to get into Mammoth the next time I go there, hopefully 2021, but I'm willing to fall back to West Yellowstone and pay, and I'm going to go to Grand Tetons with reservations for Colter Bay.

As far as the main roads, we took our rig from West Yellowstone through the park to exit toward Cody, WY. We took the mid-park cut near Canyon rather than doing the lower loop. The only 'tight' spot for the trailer/ traffic was passing Fishing Bridge, but we were able to stop alongside the road and go across the street for a bite of lunch.

NOTHING MOVES FAST traffic wise within Yellowstone. Prepare to avg 20-25 mph while touring the park and traveling from place to palce.

Well said and my thoughts exactly. Having a 35'8" FW, the only campground within Yellowstone that we would attempt is Mammoth. We've driven through them all and it's the turns that we would not attempt even though we've seem some pretty big ones in there. When we go, we stay at Baker's Hole FS CG, 2 miles north of West Yellowstone. Since it's first come first served, we'll talk to the host on what sites are expected to be available, nab a site at Grizzly RV in WY, then drive over the Baker's Hole the next morning to get a site. It's worked for us every time. I know the OP didn't ask for this information, but more is less. If we didn't share this information and he had problems, he'd wonder why we didn't say something. No sarcasm intended.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most bigger rigs stay outside the park and commute. Most people like W Yellowstone.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
1) I have not camped withing Yellowstone personally. We stayed at a USFS CG on Earthquake Lake during our visit Labor Day 2017.

2) I have several friends who have camped within Yellowstone in recent years - three in 2019.

3) There are two (really three) very different types of campgrounds within Yellowstone, and understanding the differences is important.

The National Park Service operates seven smaller dry campgrounds within the park. Those vary from tight restrictions such as at Lewis Lake where size limits are very important due to the access roads to Mammoth which is very lax on 'size' limitations.

As noted on the link above - Yellowstone National Park Lodges operates five campgrounds - four dry, and FHU Fishing Bridge. I've had friends in a 41' motorhome stay at Bay Bridge with a 17' long toad. Another friend with a 43' 5er stayed in Maidison, another friend with a 45' tag axle DP stayed in Grant Village. All three of these people TALKED to someone with Yellowstone NP Lodges reservations - and did so EARLY - 9 months to a year early. There are not many spaces which would fit their rigs, but the reservations team worked with them. Two of the folks had to adjust their dates to make sure they had a right sized spot.

Canyon is supposed to be tight to get into in places. Not recommended for longer trailers or 5ers.

One person I know was turned away at Fishing Bridge several years ago with a 38' 5er. A compromise was worked out so the 5er was put in the spot, but they had to park their pickup over at the Visitor Center/ Museum parking lot.

Those are people I've personally talked with. Take it with a grain of salt.

Driving through Madison, Grant, Bay Bridge and Canyon in Sept 2017 - I saw several large rigs/ 5ers - many bigger than yours in the first three. Some close to your size in Canyon. Many times it is not the camping spot which limits length, it is the trees which restrict turns and getting into a spot.

The RV parks in West Yellowstone are excellent, and plenty to do in the afternoons/ evenings if you wish. But it is not a 'wilderness' Yellowstone camping experience.

But most important - TALK to the people with YNP Lodges if you want reservations.

I'm willing to go without reservations and TRY to get into Mammoth the next time I go there, hopefully 2021, but I'm willing to fall back to West Yellowstone and pay, and I'm going to go to Grand Tetons with reservations for Colter Bay.

As far as the main roads, we took our rig from West Yellowstone through the park to exit toward Cody, WY. We took the mid-park cut near Canyon rather than doing the lower loop. The only 'tight' spot for the trailer/ traffic was passing Fishing Bridge, but we were able to stop alongside the road and go across the street for a bite of lunch.

NOTHING MOVES FAST traffic wise within Yellowstone. Prepare to avg 20-25 mph while touring the park and traveling from place to palce.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Brisk wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

I saw that...But does that mean that anyone with a trailer larger than 22' can't camp in any of the other campgrounds?

The intent of the post was to show the camping availability by reservation, and by first come, first serve from the NPS YNP website.
The 2nd point was to show site availability broken down by length of the campsites from the NPS YNP website.
The 3rd point of the post was to suggest you contact the park, explain your situation, and inquire of the only official source for the info you seek.
Since I don't work for the NPS, anything I or anyone else that doesn't work for the NPS tells you, would be hearsay. Call them first to be sure that you don't show up, and can't get in.
Not trying to be difficult, just suggesting the the best answer, IMO.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Brisk wrote:
Technical problems with the site. I deleted the other post. Move on. There is no need to be a jerk.

Don't pay him any attention. He only has one mode, and it isn't a good one. I wish we could just blame it on the COVID lockdown, but it goes back longer than that.

Haha. Sounds good.

dedmiston
Brisk wrote:
Technical problems with the site. I deleted the other post. Move on. There is no need to be a jerk.

Don't pay him any attention. He only has one mode, and it isn't a good one. I wish we could just blame it on the COVID lockdown, but it goes back longer than that.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Gee, two posts in the same minute. I can. Wait a couple of minutes before reposting.

dedmiston
Lwiddis wrote:
Gee, two posts in the same minute. I can. Wait a couple of minutes before reposting.

Do you really believe he did it on purpose and it wasn't a result of the frequent technical problems on this site?

Try using a little patience and understanding. You might like it.

Speaking of that, I deleted your other snotty response.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:

I saw that...But does that mean that anyone with a trailer larger than 22' can't camp in any of the other campgrounds?

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)