Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ford for a tow vehicle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford for a tow vehicle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
wtmtnhiker

New Hampshire

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/02/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,
Looking for a tow vehicle to replace my GMC. I've only been looking at GM products up until now. My current truck has a GMC 5.3 litre and is rated towing capacity of 9500 lbs. What would a close equivalent engine/axle ratio be in a Ford F150. Looking to buy 2016 or newer and not a diesel. Thanks

* This post was last edited 06/02/20 07:47am by wtmtnhiker *   View edit history


bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)


Old Days

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 12/04/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/02/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a F-150 but I would go to a F-250 with the 6.2 engine. And 6 speed transmission. My next truck will be a F-350 with the 7.3 engine, and 10 speed transmission. I see you don't have a trailer so go with a bigger truck.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 06/02/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wtmtnhiker wrote:

Hi all,
Looking for a tow vehicle to replace my GMC. I've only been looking at GM products up until now. My current truck has a GMC 5.3 litre and is rated towing capacity of 9500 lbs. What would a close equivalent engine/axle ratio be in a Ford F150. Looking to buy 2016 or newer and not a diesel. Thanks


What do you plan to tow and what are the full specs on the GMC?

Towing capacity is largely a silly number that rarely controls what you can tow.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/02/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After going from the GM 6 speed transmission to the GM 10 speed transmission, I wouldn't recommend any transmission without ten. It makes a big difference.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


APT

SE Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2010

View Profile



Posted: 06/02/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Equivalent is Ford 5.0L V8, 6-spd 3.55 axle or 2.7L Ecoboost 3.55. If you want an F-150 "upgrade", then I recommend a 3.5L Ecoboost and if you can get a new enough one the 10-sp transmission.

I think Op has ~2013 GM half ton 5.3L/6pd/3.42.


A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

wtmtnhiker

New Hampshire

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/02/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

Equivalent is Ford 5.0L V8, 6-spd 3.55 axle or 2.7L Ecoboost 3.55. If you want an F-150 "upgrade", then I recommend a 3.5L Ecoboost and if you can get a new enough one the 10-sp transmission.

I think Op has ~2013 GM half ton 5.3L/6pd/3.42.


Thanks that's what I was looking for.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/02/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wtmtnhiker wrote:

APT wrote:

Equivalent is Ford 5.0L V8, 6-spd 3.55 axle or 2.7L Ecoboost 3.55. If you want an F-150 "upgrade", then I recommend a 3.5L Ecoboost and if you can get a new enough one the 10-sp transmission.

I think Op has ~2013 GM half ton 5.3L/6pd/3.42.


Thanks that's what I was looking for.


Be sure to focus FIRST, on the truck's payload capacity. Then you can look at the truck's towing capacity. A 1/2 ton will always run out of payload capacity WAY before getting close to the max towing capacity.
I have a 2014 F150 SCREW 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package and 1828lbs of payload capacity. It tows my 26' 6000lbs loaded TT like it's not there and I go through our Western mountain ranges.
But I wouldn't tow anything longer than 30' and over 7500lbs loaded.


Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/02/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:



Be sure to focus FIRST, on the truck's payload capacity. Then you can look at the truck's towing capacity. A 1/2 ton will always run out of payload capacity WAY before getting close to the max towing capacity.
I have a 2014 F150 SCREW 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package and 1828lbs of payload capacity. It tows my 26' 6000lbs loaded TT like it's not there and I go through our Western mountain ranges.
But I wouldn't tow anything longer than 30' and over 7500lbs loaded.


Sooo, he'd be better off with a stripper base V6 reg cab truck with a much higher payload??
ROFL
Another one of 1000s of posts that prove the author doesn't know payload capacity from Payday candy bars.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Bionic Man

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2009

View Profile



Posted: 06/02/20 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wtmtnhiker wrote:

APT wrote:

Equivalent is Ford 5.0L V8, 6-spd 3.55 axle or 2.7L Ecoboost 3.55. If you want an F-150 "upgrade", then I recommend a 3.5L Ecoboost and if you can get a new enough one the 10-sp transmission.

I think Op has ~2013 GM half ton 5.3L/6pd/3.42.


Thanks that's what I was looking for.


The 2.7 is going to be the closest in capability to the 5.3. Both the 5.0 and the 3.5 would be upgrades and more comparable to the 6.2 GM.

I agree on the comments about the 10 speed transmission. Big improvement over the old 6 speeds.


2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

packpe89

NC

Full Member

Joined: 06/19/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the 5.3/6speed ('07) and now have the 3.5 ecoboost ('14) also with a six speed. The ecoboost has much better power, no struggles in the mountains. I also have a 5.7 hemi in my work truck. It's power seems very similar to the ecoboost. Agree with others the 10speed would help.

I would suggest watching tfltruck. They have good towing reviews of all these engines. Good Luck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford for a tow vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.