cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling 16 Foot Cargo Trailer w.2 Harleys

bozowing
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advice what power train to go with pulling my 16 foot cargo trailer (2 GVW) plus 2 Harleys (2K GVW) for total of 4K lbs. Looking to buy about 25 footer Class C.

Will venture West, so mountains will be in the forecast.

Looking for it all, good pull power, reliability and mileage.
10 REPLIES 10

bozowing
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone, very good advice. Sounds like V10, but now its on way out

sprint99
Explorer
Explorer
We're quite pleased with the overall performance of our 2018 Coachman Leprechaun 311FS on the Ford E450 V10 platform. We're pulling a 29' foot enclosed trailer coming in right at the 7,500# limit. Have gone West and East a few times, not really into any mountain type travel yet with this setup, though we did quite often with our prior motorhome that had the Ford V8 in it and never really had concerns with it. Our current rig does tow much nicer though.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
My sister last week bought a a 23' 2251 Forster, on the E450 with the outgoing V10.

It drives VERY well. She had her mind set on a Sprinter chassis, until she test drove the Forester, which drove more car-like (which is the opposite of my brother's 30' Forester on a barely-longer wheelbase). So far, she's been been getting better than 10 MPG on her first couple trips, no doubt due the 6-speed. It has not been hooked to a trailer yet, but it has a 7,500# hitch receiver, bolted to a Ford-QVM-compliant frame extension. Payload is nearly 4,000 pounds.

Build quality on the coach is ok. Everything works as it should, but fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
....."and mileage. ""' Sorry, whenever I see mileage as a concern I chuckle a bit. Over the last 45K miles, my 30 foot class C averaged 8.5 mpg. That includes up hills, downhills.towing a 16 foot trailer, flat towing a Jeep.........

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Looking for it all, good pull power, reliability and mileage"

Drop mileage from your list of desired features as it simply is not part of the equation {and no, the MB's can not compete} then you are looking for a V-10... period. The newer 6 speed tranny's are the best but the 5 speed Toque Shift does very well. An E-350 will have a 4:10 rear end the E-450's come with the 4:56. Both get the job done well but better mileage with the 4:10 but a little more torque with the 4:56.

Hauling fairly heavy as the OP described I'd recomend the 450 if you can find it in a floor plan that works. Above 25' you will have more choices. For the record I pull a 6 X 10' Cargo trailer with my 24' E-350 Class C typically hauling my Indian {bike and trailer at 2,200# or my Rzr with the trailer 2,600#}.

I recommend the OP look for an E-450 with the 6 speed trans which will work VERY well for his needs.

:C

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at current or used,,,, Ford 6.8 is the choice for towing AND hauling a camper over 25' box.
IF looking at new,,,,,
The new 6.6 GM drivetrain or the 7.3 from Ford would both make admirable choices based on the data currently available,,,,,, BUT they are both NEW powertrains as of the 2020 model year, which also means the 2021 motorhomes.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
ndr's comments about transmissions are right on. The more speeds you have the easier towing will be no matter the manufacturer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would hold off on the new Ford motor until it proves itself. There was a thread regarding that last month.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Best bet is to test drive one of each. For that kind of towing, Chevy and Ford are the options.

IMHO, the Chevy chassis had the better package in all categories up until Ford added a 5 speed transmission. The Ford could come close to the pulling power if the motor was held in the upper RPM's. Ford then added a 6 speed trans. giving it much better pulling characteristics. Both are super reliable. Mileage are going to be similar.

I like the Chevy cockpit ergos, suspension, and handling better.

No experience with the new V8 for is hooking to the 6 speed.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
class c 2018 Sunseeker 2350 on a Ford v-10 6 speed with 4.56 rear.
I tow tree different trailers from time to time about 1000 miles round trip . MPG empty 9.5 at 55 mph, about 8 mpg towing 63 mph. Mountains out west will eat up a little fuel but the V-10 as described here will do the job, its a bit of a beast.

I have done 4k towing and regularly tow 3k utility v-nose trailer and another snomo 2-place trailer at about 3000# with a 24' Ford E450. No problem with any of those trailers. My tow capacity is rated at 7500#

My gross rating is 14,500 and my MH sits on a scale all loaded for a trip at approx. 12k give or take. I have a lot of extra payload so I do not feel the trailers I tow. Going up mountains east of the Mississippi are not a problem at all. I have not ventured to the west yet. I got traumatized from watching Breaking Bad.

The Ford 6 speed tranny does not run hot and performs very well. I'm very happy with my rig.
Because I had the need for this MH to drive like a van more than an rv, I added HD F/R sway bars, FSD and BIL shocks F/R, rear track bar to help with passing trucks and crosswinds and a good positive caster alignment all together make this rig ride real nice and handle the back road twisties.