Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: School me on waste totes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> School me on waste totes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

A thirty gallon tote full weighs 250 pounds minimum water only plus the tote. That’s manageable for you lifting a full tote from your truck bed to the ground?

No need, hook the long hose up and dump from the truck bed.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 42 gallon barker totes that works great. When it's full I can still manhandle it enough to pull it over to the truck and tow it to the dump station.
However as I age I can envision a time that I will no longer be able to move the heavy tote around even with wheels on it. When that time comes I will place the tote in the truck and use a pump, to transfer the waste into the tote.
The cost of the pump, much like the cost of all my other RV gadgets(including the tote) is a worthwhile expense if it gets the job done.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one. When you need one, it is a good thing. But, I wanted a 30 gal one and did not realize that 30 gal meant about 240#. Me, female, solo, 76 cannot lift 240#... Got a 21 gal which is still far too much for me to handle, so have to fill it 1/2 full and deal with that. Better than moving the trailer. My biggest suggestion would be to get one with 4 wheels on it. Mine only has 2. Also, paid almost $200 for it, did see one almost like it on Craigs List for around 50.00.
Whoe cares if it is used? Sorry I didn't think about that sooner!

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/20 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback! Pretty much what I was thinking.

For the consideration of some, last week we camped at an out of the way site, high up on a hillside. The only place to drain the tanks was over a mile away and across a well traveled highway. Yes, I would leave the trailer perched on its high pedestal, and drive the truck down to do the dirty business.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a 25 gallon one and use the hitch to tow it to the dump station. I have a 10 gallon one, easy to move when heavy. Yes it may take an extra trip or 2 but is very easy to do!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't buy a tote with less capacity than the tank you are dumping unless you are real quick on shutting off the valve.
Some have level indicators that pop up. They do give an early warning but don't be staring at the neighbors wife while the tank is draining. Yours might knock you out and then you got a real mess on your hands. [emoticon]

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A macerator pump works fine for this job, pumping uphill to the truck. The pump uses a lot of juice so I have a spare battery I position right next to it with short wires. They get hot.

Make sure you have a nice long sewer hose to reach the dump from the truck bed, where you simply lift the tote to drain. It may take more than one trip, but with a pump hooked up you don't need to shut the BW valve, meaning you don't need a huge tote.

Some of these responses indicate they haven't done this before.

* This post was edited 06/03/20 07:55am by 2oldman *

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beaker wrote:

I took the wheels off of a 30 gallon Barker and used a Flojet to pump up to the bed.
Hate the Blue thunder.

I have a surplus 30-gallon plastic barrel mounted in the truck bed. I fill it with a macerator pump and have a 1-1/2" dump valve & hose to empty it.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on never using it for the Black Tank because IMHO the tank can never be cleaned enough to keep it anywhere a living space.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any tote tank that will hold enough for even a small RV holding tank will be too heavy to move around. I have a 22 gallon Barker blue tote and it is the largest I would want to try to move. I even have put the large, inflatable wheels/tires on it to make it easier and quieter to move around. Yes, it gets towed to the dump by the truck BUT you have to move it from the trailer position to the truck. Sometimes, that is quite difficult and may be slightly uphill or in soft sand or grass. This is when the larger, heavier dump tanks can be too much. Personally, I would not get one larger than 25-30 gallons.

Ours gets used for both grey and black tank dumping. It is carried on the back of our trailer on the ladder and not in the living space of the RV. Besides that, both black and grey tank water smells horrible and I don't see much difference between them as far as cleaning out the tote. There is a hose connection for rinsing the tote and it works well.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> School me on waste totes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.