cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rebuild ideas and thoughts

cappi1976
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to do a custom rebuild of my motorhome as I got it fairly cheap, probably paid way too much for it. I like to customize things and finding out what works and didn't work. Below are some ideas that I have been brainstorming. This is going to be my semi-permanent home for at least a year or so, maybe longer until I find my life calling. It will be me and occasionally my 4 kids.

This is a 1990 Fleetwood Southwind Class A Motorhome, 68k miles got for $2500

I am going to be starting with the powertrain system first.

POWERTRAIN

-The engine is going to be rebuilt, 7.4L with all original items. Does look good but when I popped the intake manifold found bent pushrods, so am going to go ahead and yank it and rebuild.
- I have a new carburetor, Edelbrock 1411.
- Looking for the intake manifold (maybe as this could be replaced easily later)
- Looking to upgrade at least camshaft
- The exhaust manifold will be just running back to the mufflers (which I have a new muffler from a Silverado that I acquired)
- The radiator will be replaced by a solid aluminum type
- I don't have emission and I think that system is shot anyway, so no more air pumps or emission-related stuff.
- My AC is shot I might get a new compressor or just modify it to something cheaper and easier, after all this will only be cooling the front passengers at the moment and not the back.
- I want to integrate a hot water system along with the radiator, maybe a separate system.
- I want to modify the radiator support install to make it easier for me to yank it back out if need be, it took almost the whole day for me to get that part removed to have access to the front of the engine.)
- I wanted the transmission, oil, power steering, and radiator to have its own little coolers but reading I found that wasn't much of a good idea. (does the transmission and power steering use the same fluid, can't I just move the lines in conjunction with them to eliminate the pump; just a thought) Still looking into this though any ideas would be appreciated.
- Although all of the above are separated Ideally would like to have a cluster of external filters for each of them.
- I had thoughts of adding an air compressor to the front where one of the air pumps were and add a clutch to turn it on an off like an AC compressor. Thoughts of an extra alternator or anything else?
- Fans, I will have the electric fan up front that came stock, which will be probably be upgraded as I acquired some from a newer car.
- I would like to relocate my master cylinder as I don't feel comfortable where it was located, makes it more difficult to look at the brake fluid.
- Power steering pump, I have an external reservoir and also am trying to find a place to relocate this also just for the convenience factor.
- The transmission will get somewhat of a rebuild, am looking to upgrading some components, torque convertor.
- I would like to add a 4-wheel drive system but that would be way too much work, maybe if I found something that would work. This is just for getting power to all four wheels, not really for offroading.
- The driveshaft, I didn't realize that it was so freaking long, has anyone ever heard of adding extra stuff to the driveshaft as far as supporting it a little bit better like extra carrier bearings? It just makes me sort of nervous with how long it is and how much of a pain it would be if it ever decided to go. Also how much torque and stress it must take pushing the motorhome. But I didn't design it either.
- Differentials haven't looked too much into this on the rear side, I do know that I need to replace my seals and fluid.
- I'm not sure what else I may be missing as far as any future-proofing this thing, ideally, if I could make it solid electric I would definitely do it but practicality wise not worth it in the long run.
- I want to clean up the electrical and make the engine as simple as I can to work on. I am going to redesign most of it and try to take some of this out of the equation.

BODY
- So this is going to be where I am going to need ideas and inputs mainly on what works and what would you do if you could.
- the steel framing is shot on the rear side and delamination has occurred. The roof is done. AC on top only one work.
- My thoughts of what I would like to have, I don't need that big bed in the back, I was thinking of putting in multiple beds and turning it into some type of master bedroom. Not much time will be in here, probably make a partial office in this area.
- So the rear is somewhat shot, I would like to have a workshop or storage area, the main access point would be the rear with a drop-down ramp of some type. I would like to store my toolbox and some other tools back there that I wouldn't really need access to on the road. I would like to move the rear wall back maybe 6 to 10 feet to accomplish this part. My biggest issue here is the weight on what I am able to store back here (ideally I am thinking around 1000 pounds). I know that there really isn't that much back there originally and not sure if that was on purpose or not. I would maybe relocate the water tanks and such further forward. The back bedroom would have to move forward or shrink some.
- The door that is on the side I would like to relocate this one to the passenger front as there is no door there at the moment and that would free up some space over there.
- Insulation, I am trying to research what is ideal and would like probably be out in areas where it may be a somewhat chili, I would like to bring my kids to see snow also at some point, so I am thinking spray foam would be ideal but that is a lot of money, I may look for people giving away insulation on craigslist and go from there.
- So the roof, I would like to do the split level AC system as I don't really care for too much being up there in the first place. Some type of Bedliner (line-x or other is my idea). Of course, I would have to think of some type of railing system or something that I may be able to modify at a later date. I will probably use less thick plywood (3/8") for the support or even something else like an attic jack spacing system, something for weight. I know I'm not supposed to live up there but I would like to have some functionality up there. Maybe star gazing or something. There will more than likely be solar panels up there but haven't made up my mind yet on how many.
- So the Bedliner stuff I would like to run it through the whole motorhome on the side and such, but the effectiveness on that may not be worth it, although would be airtight and no water intrusions, maybe if I find a good deal and someone willing to help with that project. I do have to replace some of the sidings due to the previous owner blaming his kids for hitting the side of his house. ( I would like ideas on this.) I would like to add a little overhang maybe an inch to help deter some of the water dripping into the siding area.
- I have lots of undercoating that I may be spraying on the underside to help with the rust buildup.
- I do want to do a type of custom dash since I will be playing with the Bedliner stuff, maybe form it with cardboard or something then spray it wit the Bedliner, maybe.
- I am going to try to install a partition behind the driver's area to make the area into a cockpit type. Along with this, I will be adding sensors and lots of things to monitor the health of the engine and components. Upgrade the radio area and have an intercom system for the rear.
- While I am at it I do have to fix the battery box location since it was thin metal and rusted out, I would like thoughts on the relocation of the batteries.
- The wiring for the rear, I do not like that most of the wiring cannot be accessed, so for the inside, I do plan on putting sheathing around different systems to color code and keep this easily repairable and upgradable. I am going to build a crown molding type system that I will be able to access the wiring and such without ripping stuff out.
- There will be an access hole for the roof for the wiring and such so if I do plan on upgrading up there should be able to use that access point to get up there.
- The ladder, I don't like that think, seems like it is an accident waiting to happen. Have you heard anyone making an access point inside the RV or along the front, maybe eliminating the permanent ladder and putting a portable ladder for this? Either way, I am thinking about removing that.
- So the roof, ventilation system, can't I install a small vent like a household bathroom and run it to the side? Same with the kitchen area. The lesser stuff on the roof for me would be better.
- So heat-wise, I have been looking into wood-burning stoves for motorhomes and brainstorming that area for alternate heat sources. Not much I can do to find alternate cooling sources unless someone has a theory on that one. But my thoughts, if I am in the middle of nowhere and something happens I can try and find things to burn. I've seen them in houses and they do get toasty, and I do like the heat, plus wood can be found almost anywhere for free.
- So ideas, links, pictures would be greatly appreciated. Cost I am not too concerned about because I already know that I am not going to get what I paid for the thing, but that's not the point, I want it to last, easily able to work on, and convenient. The powertrain is my main priority so I can get the thing into my shop. But I like to look for deals and ideas to brainstorm.

If I get some posts on my brainstorming conversion I will try and keep this post updated as time moves on.
32 REPLIES 32

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
I guess another "post then ghost". Too bad. I would have enjoyed seeing the outcome. I suspect he realized it may have been in over his head.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
He gone?

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to resize your photos. maybe something like 500 x 500'ish

Note by Administrator
Done ๐Ÿ™‚

cappi1976
Explorer
Explorer

This is what is under the long cap that runs front to back. If the metal would have been protected it would have been ok.

cappi1976
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, I wouldn't call it money wasted, my math is $2500 for the coach, granted it was too much, but this is the way my theory is, I fix the thing the way I want and take my own shortcut where I see fit, in the end I will have a coach that will probably outlast some of these 100k newer coaches due to the quality of the build. I have been following post on Facebook and such on some people taking delivery on their BRAND NEW 100K coach and try to get warranty work done due to leaks, holes, and etc...and guess what...that warranty is not really there, throw a bandaid on it or a piece of tape depending on the repair shop and send you out the door. Even reading through the RV Tips page for Texas the manufacturer even admits there is no quality control.

For the build I am working on yes I may not recover what I am putting into this, and yes it will take me a while to get it where I want it, but guess what, if something happens to it that needs to be repaired, I got it. And hey if I want to I can go and upgrade it as time goes on. And if I do a quality build, to me it will be priceless, compared to someone buying a build and hoping that someone slapped the thing together right. To me I rather do it this way.

If you see some of the stuff on this thing that came from manufacture cutting corners to save $, then I would be very wary about how the new ones are built.

Lol, that reminds me of my 1ST showing off his hot rod car, I asked him if he built it, NO, then it isn't worth anything except for what you paid for it.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Rebuilds like this NEVER make financial sense. You paid $2500 for the coach and when it's all done it will be worth MAYBE $12,000. It's just $$$$ wasted.

Sorry, but a 1990 Southwind motorhome in perfect condition, with low miles and babied would still not be worth $12,000.

Southwind resale value...$2500
Experience...Priceless

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
lryrob9301 wrote:
Rebuilds like this NEVER make financial sense. You paid $2500 for the coach and when it's all done it will be worth MAYBE $12,000. It's just $$$$ wasted.

We have traveled all over the world and seen sights that many may never see. One two week trip down to Machu Picchu in Peru cost us close to $7000. We never got a cent back on that trip but I would hardly call it $$$$ wasted.
Sometimes you do things just because you can and because it makes you happy. With RVing you always lose money but most think that the investment is more than worth it. As they say, you only go around once..... :B

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Without pictures I can only imagine what it must look like. You have removed the walls and roof? Best of luck. Looking forward to pictures.

cappi1976
Explorer
Explorer
So ongoing trying to be nice and easy taking this thing apart, am not sure why seems, I know I am trying to save some of the metal beams but does look like that doesn't want to happen. Keep pushing forward.

cappi1976
Explorer
Explorer
So onward to ripping the sides off, I was going to try and salvage the sides but afterward, I tried to pull most screws and they were rusted and stuck, impact screwdriver was my friend here. Then I started getting into it, and one thing led to another, so I am salvaging the parts like the doors, windows, most interior pieces. But with the smell of mildew, I am not taking the chance. Structurally sound is a big NOGO. I will try and upload the pics later, will be going down to the floor after I rip that roof off (maybe salvageable, which will be a big plus, this is where I will align my studs for the sides along with the bracing to attach cabinets and such. My plan here is to salvage the rocker panels and the front nose where the windshield is, although these parts will get a new coating.

So thoughts while I was ripping this thing down, after looking underneath and seeing how they made it to the 40 ft mark is really disturbing, seems like automotive car wise, there is no standard or rules really on how motorhomes are constructed. If it works for now it's good enough I guess. (going to the drawing board on this one) if anyone has any layout ideas I would like to hear them.) My thoughts are to maybe make the motor home shorter. I do not see in reality how this is supposed to tow anything. I am very surprised that the thing hasn't collapsed. Looking at the wood compared to the steel, wood is going to be my number one option with aluminum being high on the list as far as support. So the passenger side may get a door depending on if I can find one. I am going to install electric mirrors (which seems like I have an abundance of)

While bringing down the AC units, the thought crossed my mind on how a dual-zone ac unit on a car worked compared to a home ac system, compared to how the RV system is set up compared to a split mini-unit. Is there a reason I cannot find a permanent magnet motor for the AC unit? Does the unit really need two separate systems or can I use stacked condensers to run both units off a single overhead unit? But of course, I would need the evaporator inside. Put those units were heavy, I will see if anyone has any ideas on this and research what I am going to be doing.

How much do the foam boards actually suppose to weigh, mine were like almost 20 pounds each section (maybe it still had some water or something in it). Comparing to the alternatives to skin it and seal with some insulation leaving the cavities somewhat open.

So my thoughts right now have come to mind to strip it down all the way and clean it up, alternatively, maybe sell it as a stripped chassis with a rebuilt engine. I am not sure how much someone would be willing to pay for that compared to it previously but for me, I think I would have paid a fair amount, knowing that most works had been done, has a sound engine/trans, and would be ready to customize the back end.
And then my thoughts if I get another one, what would keep it from knowing how it was built and what shortcuts were taken. It's just the comfort and satisfaction of knowing this. Yes, maybe a little more hard work compared to the turnkey and go models and get rid of it when it starts to have problems. But my thought process on this is what it would be worth to me. I know most people don't have the time to put into this.
My wife commented after I tore it down, just put a connex on the back of it??? And there goes my mind thinking once again on if it would it is a feasible thought if any extreme work needed to be done then unbolt lift and proceed. What may be a half-day work to remove the box? You could maybe get two or three different ones depending on what you were about to do. (even lighter would be the haul shipping container things)

cappi1976
Explorer
Explorer
@2bzy2c, @rgatijnet1
- A different engine, I have thought about a different engine, and I know it will probably be a feasible solution, but I am going to wait to see what my machine shop will tell me over the crank and block. Then again I don't plan on really driving it that much, but ideally, I want to still touch everything. Not sure if that makes any sense, but with this build, I want it to last and to the next person that gets this, probably my son, but I want them to keep it and maybe appreciate it. I know it's won't be worth the $ but the hard work will be priceless, and hopefully pays off.

So day one of the home tear down, and unfortunately, well I knew it was coming and expected it, rust, mold, and freaking bugs everywhere. So now comes the fun part of ripping the sides off, and start to dry it in. Out with the rusted steel, going to be recycled, and in with (probably aluminum) or wood. We will see after the teardown phase. I am not sure I want to keep the fiberglass siding as it has already had cracks and barely touching it in the wrong spots tears it. I am going to be looking for options for siding replacement. This is going to be a complete teardown on the home side, going to salvage most of the interior pieces that can be upgraded at a later date. So this is where I mentioned that the people who built the home part really didn't care too much, as I found that most of the screws were held on by glue, the outer fiberglass, and foamboard. No wonder why the sides came up so easily. I have to go find my impact screwdriver to take the windows out. I did see a very long bolt that went to absolutely nothing, just sat there dangling. The wiring is done, I can tell where it has shorted out behind the fridge, that would be a bad spot for a fire to start.

- The engine is going to car wash to get most of the oil and grime off of it. I will see what machine shop says about the number three-piston, maybe get another connecting rod. I will be ordering my rebuild kit in pieces as I want to pick and choose certain parts. I get to visit my buddy to go see what aviation scraps I might be able to salvage.
- I have not made the decision on if I want to keep the roof ac system or go with a split unit?
- I need ideas on the siding on ideas of materials, for right now I am just going to have a pretty much open concept bay inside and design as I go. The window locations will stay the same, maybe. As far as where the door is located that may move if I can make it possible and safe. I would also like a door in the back as a secondary door.
- Steps or ramp? (the motor on my steps is out and I am planning on doing some type of manual type anyway. I don't want to rely on a motor for getting in and out.
- Another idea for in the distant future does anyone that goes boondocking carry like a solar electric fence to put around the exterior just for security type purpose or anything like a perimeter alarm. The last thing I want to do is to be out in the middle of nowhere and have someone/something come upon me.
- I was looking also into undercoating, which I am probably going away from that stuff as I don't think I will really need it. just going to go through with some rust inhibitor to keep that part down.
- The teardown is going to take a good part of the week, going to be 100+ and humid. If I untarp the thing it will more than likely rain.

Well off to sleep and another bright day tomorrow.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Find a 8.1L engine. Thousands of them available and should bolt right in. More HP and torque with the same poor gas mileage.
If I remember right, the exhaust manifolds on the 7.4 are prone to cracking and replacements, for the RV ENGINE MANIFOLDS, are almost impossible to get.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a short block? Might be a time and money saver.